Congested nose solutions, please

FitnessMike

I never had this it only started like a week ago, i have to use pharma spray to unclog my nasals...

Sea water doesn't do much.

brightside

You can try things that increase CO2, such as thiamine.

You could also have poor digestion leading to a mild inflammatory state -> nose congestion. How is your tongue? How does your gut feel?

Warrior

Neti pot, reduce dairy and check for allergens in your environment like changes in detergent etc...

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

thanks guys, i wonder what would cause it, i wonder whether some supplements could cause it,

Warrior

I'd be willing to bet that most people on here are actually causing a lot of their own ill health with excessive supplementation as well as incorrect timing and a general lack of awareness of mechanisms of action along with a disconnect from how their body is responding in the moment. Crazy how they try and reach for one thing and get another due to over eagerness and a "more betterer" mindset.

If you've been taking things like an ECA stack or a thermogenics for fat loss there is a high chance this is rebound from that as you body seeks homeostasis.

Keep it as simple as needed but no less until you know the nature of your flesh and its reactions then feel free to push the limits as you'll be guided by wisdom and not what someone online said and you just blindly added into your stack and regress in the name of progress.

David PS

I have found that NAC (N-Acetylcysteine) clears my morning congestion.

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

I have found that NAC (N-Acetylcysteine) clears my morning congestion.
how comes? what would be the potential mechanism for that?

David PS

how comes? what would be the potential mechanism for that?

Nasal epithelial barrier disruption by particulate matter ≤2.5 μm via tight junction protein degradation​

These results suggest that PM2.5 induces nasal epithelial barrier disruption via oxidative stress, and N-acetyl-l-cysteine counteracts this PM2.5-mediated effect. Thus, nasal epithelial barrier disruption caused by PM2.5, which leads to sinonasal disease, may be prevented or treated through the inhibition of reactive oxygen species.

Abstract​

N-acetylcysteine (NAC) is widely used as a mucolytic agent, but the clinical and pharmacological effects of NAC are still unclear. It has recently been claimed in animal studies that NAC will stimulate ciliary beating frequency at low concentrations, while inhibiting beating at higher concentrations. Using a microphoto-oscillographic method combined with microperfusion technique, we studied the direct effect of NAC on human nasal cilia. NAC caused a direct dose- and time-related decrease in ciliary beating frequency, which was detectable at 2 mg/ml and reached statistically significant levels at 20 mg/ml. NAC at 200 mg/ml caused total cessation of movements within 15 s but this effect was completely reversible within 15 min of perfusion with medium alone. At no concentrations of NAC was beating frequency increased over base-line. NAC, however, had no effect on beating pattern. NAC seems to have a selective and fully reversible inhibitory effect on the beating frequency of human cilia in vitro.

Last edited:

David PS

Interestingly, onions - a high FODMAP food - greatly helps me with stuffed nose. I think it is due to quercitin.
I agree.

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

LadyRae

I'd be willing to bet that most people on here are actually causing a lot of their own ill health with excessive supplementation as well as incorrect timing and a general lack of awareness of mechanisms of action along with a disconnect from how their body is responding in the moment. Crazy how they try and reach for one thing and get another due to over eagerness and a "more betterer" mindset.

If you've been taking things like an ECA stack or a thermogenics for fat loss there is a high chance this is rebound from that as you body seeks homeostasis.

Keep it as simple as needed but no less until you know the nature of your flesh and its reactions then feel free to push the limits as you'll be guided by wisdom and not what someone online said and you just blindly added into your stack and regress in the name of progress.
Condescension much?

How did any of us manage without you? I see you've been a member for about 2 weeks?

We blind, "more betterers" are so comforted that you are here to save us from our craziness and general lack of awareness.

LadyRae

I never had this it only started like a week ago, i have to use pharma spray to unclog my nasals...

Sea water doesn't do much.
If you suspect niacinamide, as you are also mentioning in another thread, have you considered breaking up the dose to small amounts throughout the day? I know that can be tedious...

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

If you suspect niacinamide, as you are also mentioning in another thread, have you considered breaking up the dose to small amounts throughout the day? I know that can be tedious...
no, I didn't, but I figured out the dose that won't cause onset insomnia for me, it's 200mg + 100mg in b complex and taken all in the AM.

redsun

no, I didn't, but I figured out the dose that won't cause onset insomnia for me, it's 200mg + 100mg in b complex and taken all in the AM.
It will acutely raise histamine because it makes you excrete methyl groups.

GTW

Once you start breathing through your nose it's sustainable. I forcefully inhale for a few breaths and then it's clear. For the mechanistic reductionist obsessed it's because the powerful vaso/bronchodilator nitric oxide is generated in the paranasal sinuses.
If you need more to jump start, use 2-3% H2O2, swish in your mouth closed several minutes.