Congenital Deformations: Connection Between Nervous System And Stress Response

Diokine

The thread recently about facial deformity being related to maternal and/or intrauterine stress got me very interested in the topic, and I wanted to share some thoughts. I suspect I was under a lot of stress in the womb, and several deformations became apparent as I got older. My left elbow doesn’t fully extend, and I have some small degree of hip dysplasia in my left hip. I am also left handed, though I can write comfortably with both hands. Interestingly, the left side is the side most predominantly affected by these deformations. I was always a very anxious and cautious child, and I think this is a result of imprinted stress reactions from when I was developing. My contention is that it is the interplay between the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems that lead either directly or indirectly to these deformations.

I’ve spent the last year reprogramming my nervous systems and their response to stress, and I have seen serious physical changes in my body, that would probably be considered impossible by contemporary western medicine. My teeth have shifted considerably, my jaw is a different shape, my nose is different, and my spine is straighter. I’ve begun to feel a sort of energetic blockage in my left hip, and I’ve developed exercises that target it. I feel a connection between my brain and the nerve plexus located in my hip, and targeting this has given me incredible results. I am fully confident that my hip is physically restructuring itself to accommodate the new nervous tones being supplied by my brain.

I also wanted to make a comment about gynecomastia, as I’ve dealt with large amounts of embarrassing fat on my chest since I was about 10 years old. I was at, at one point in my life, around 300 pounds, and even though I’d lost a great deal of it was still present on my chest. It is now about 75% gone, and I would say the most important thing for this was my posture. The way I hold my chest and arms now is completely different than just a year ago. If you look at men with gynecomastia, there is usually very clear kyphosis and forward rounding of the shoulders, and I think this is very telling.

Dante

I’ve spent the last year reprogramming my nervous systems and their response to stress, and I have seen serious physical changes in my body, that would probably be considered impossible by contemporary western medicine. My teeth have shifted considerably, my jaw is a different shape, my nose is different, and my spine is straighter. I’ve begun to feel a sort of energetic blockage in my left hip, and I’ve developed exercises that target it. I feel a connection between my brain and the nerve plexus located in my hip, and targeting this has given me incredible results. I am fully confident that my hip is physically restructuring itself to accommodate the new nervous tones being supplied by my brain.

I also wanted to make a comment about gynecomastia, as I’ve dealt with large amounts of embarrassing fat on my chest since I was about 10 years old. I was at, at one point in my life, around 300 pounds, and even though I’d lost a great deal of it was still present on my chest. It is now about 75% gone, and I would say the most important thing for this was my posture. The way I hold my chest and arms now is completely different than just a year ago. If you look at men with gynecomastia, there is usually very clear kyphosis and forward rounding of the shoulders, and I think this is very telling.
How have your reprogrammed your nervous system ? :)

OP
Diokine

Diokine

Ultimately I think it comes down to more complete integration of metabolic patterns and nervous tones. The brain is the conductor of our metabolic symphony, and a conductor that is half deaf or blind or has bad rhythm will not be able to effectively orchestrate his performers.

Practical approaches to this end;

The breath is the most intimate connection we have to the stress response. Learn to use your breath, and understand how it influences how you feel. There is a lot to be learned from it.

Nutritional support, we should all know the basics here. Sugar, vitamins, etc., can benefit greatly.

Meditation, yoga type practices, and mind exercises are incredibly powerful. Visualizations and thought experiments, self experimentation, and careful observation will allow your brain and psyche to consciously and subconsciously integrate and manipulate metabolic patterns.

If you don't detail any exercises out for us, it might as well have been the diet to do the trick...

Mufasa

Ray Peat said:
Exercise, like aging, obesity, and diabetes, increases the levels of circulating free fatty acids and lactate. But ordinary activity of an integral sort, activates the systems in an organized way, increasing carbon dioxide and circulation and efficiency.

OP
Diokine

Diokine

"Nothing new under the sun"

The details of exercises I do are pretty varied, and it would difficult I think to convey the objective. I would say that observation is probably the most crucial component of them. Diet and supplementation have definitely played a critical part. I do a lot of heavy stretching and pose holding, lifting a few times a week, and acrobatic type movements. I really love throwing tennis balls at targets and chasing them. I engage what I call "Jackie Chan vision" pretty regularly, in that I look at sides of buildings and imagine how I would climb or navigate them quickly. I notice a physical response in my body doing this, or when imagining moving very heavy things. I sometimes pretend to pull down trees with my bare hands, and I summon the mental energy it might take to do this. It's an incredibly powerful feeling and I think it's greatly helped increase my testosterone.

I had some thoughts regarding the interaction of the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems, and how they might relate to asymmetry in the body. When we look at the two systems, we essentially have a driving force and a restraining force. We can look at a system like this, with one side providing an impulse and one side controlling the shape of that impulse, and we can regard it with respect to time. A perfectly balanced system will travel in a straight line. But if we provide more driving force, the line will curve one direction, if we provide more braking, it retards the curvature. So we can look at the relationship of the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems in this way, and I think what we see in most people is a slight bias towards one direction, and one way this manifests is handedness. I've been very interested in the timing of metabolism lately, and I think essentially the nervous systems are providing precise control to the timing and coherence of the entire organism. My thought is that body asymmetry is the manifestation of a different bias of sympathetic nervous tone. I think this bias is is encoded basically very early in life, and is generally reinforced in our culture.

I've been interested in TCM for a while and lately a lot of the pieces of my observations have fit into its framework rather nicely. The concept of balance and different tones, have in general fit with my observations almost to a T. I find it fascinating that through careful observation, people were able to notice these patterns and were kind enough to write most of them down for us. This is not to say that I incorporate every concept, but I have definitely resonated with many of the ideas.

I've also had a fascination with the locations of the organs and systems, and how we are arranged in general. What kind of electrical image is manifested from the interaction of these systems? How can that create something like hair? Dr. Peat talks a lot about this, the idea of a morphogenetic or biogenic field. I've wondered about why the thyroid is where it is, and pondered the importance of the tissue in the throat in general. Why is it we feel a ball in our throats when we are sad, or having an allergic reaction? I think the thyroid, and the tissue in the neck in general, is a bridge between the vagal nerve (parasympathetic) and spinal nerves (sympathetic,) and it's location is specific in this regard.

OP
Diokine

Diokine

This is something I wrote a few weeks ago that may also offer something in the way of cultivating observation.

There have been a few things I’ve noticed with the area around the nose and behind the eyes, and I’d like to share these observations with you.

It is evident that the olfactory system is intimately involved with a lot of processes in the brain, it is really “jacked in.” This quote from Wikipedia sums the situation up nicely –

“The olfactory tubercle connects to numerous areas of the amygdala, thalamus, hypothalamus, hippocampus, brain stem, retina, auditory cortex, and olfactory system. *In total it has 27 inputs and 20 outputs. An oversimplification of its role is to state that it: checks to ensure odor signals arose from actual odors rather than villi irritation, regulates motor behavior (primarily social and stereotypical) brought on by odors, integrates auditory and olfactory sensory info to complete the aforementioned tasks, and plays a role in transmitting positive signals to reward sensors (and is thus involved in addiction).”

In short, it is interacting with nearly every major system of the brain on a moment to moment basis. It also adjusts itself rapidly, and is a great indicator of the state of the brain. It has been found that distinct morphological changes can be seen in animals that are depressed, for instance. To us, this represents a valuable source of feedback.

Focus on the spot between your eyes, called the nasion. Direct your attention to the area directly behind this spot. Move your eyes around. Open your eyes wide and blink a few times, and raise your brows. Move your eyes around again. Focus on the spot. Do you notice anything different? Try different exercises, moving your eyes to the extreme of your vision or even just focusing on a candle for a moment.

Smell things. Try to smell things. Try to smell really odd things, like a street sign from inside your car. You may feel some odd sensations at the spot. You may become aware of other spots and sensations inside your head. Pull on your ears, pull on them harder, and open your jaw. How does the spot feel now? Squeeze the area between your index finger and thumb, hard. It should be uncomfortable. Do you feel that?

These exercises give real time feedback into how your body is working. Our perception of reality, and our sense of well-being are all tied into the interaction between our brain, nervous systems, and the rest of our body including every single cell. Something like a distressing thought can instantly change cerebral bloodflow and alter the entire metabolism of the body. You can feel this. You can manipulate the response to some degree. I would encourage many different types of exercises, and imagining new ways to probe your consciousness and reality is one of my favorite things to do.

The Polyvagal Perspective - Polyvagal theory

Breathing through a particular nostril can alter metabolism and autonomic activities. - PubMed - NCBI -
Breathing through a particular nostril can alter metabolism and autonomic activities.

Rad

Intelligence and smell - The Logics - Olfactory Perception The Sense of Smell

"The strongest indicator of real-world intelligence is an individual's ability to consciously discern sensorial perceptions. It is not the perception that marks a quality of mind, but rather it is the manner of which the mind is used. The measuring of olfactory perception is one of the few methods of accurately illustrating intellectual ability."

Was reminded of this website the other day when reading on here about the link between serotonin and smell.

nikolabeacon

Physical manifestation depends on the movement of energy.

The creative process takes place as the energy containing the blueprint of what is being created moves in whatever way it needs to in order to create the system it wishes. It draws down matter as a mirror image of the idea or blueprint. This is why the physical is said to be the shell of the organic reality.

All natural systems are mirrors of their pattern of energy, or of the 'idea' that sought to create them in the first place. When the system is in place, the energy from which it originated is rejected as matter being too coarse to be carried further in the energy stream.

---Regarding breathing---

When we ex-(s)pire, we leave this our'mortal coil.' When we are in-spire-d, we feel drawn to higher ideals. Our spir(e)it is raised when we are sucked into the upward spiral. Similarly through re-spir(e)-ation the ionization balance of the body, which varies according to the time of day, is adjusted by the proportional ionization of the air indrawn through the nostrils, which due to opposite directions of rotation, is negatively ionized by the left nostril and positively by the right nostril. Sneezing, therefore, may perhaps be a compensating process, through which high opposing charges resulting from over-ionization are reduced to zero.

Resonance is the language of communication and response. It is how energetic information is transferred from one object to another. It is also the mechanism of harmony. For example, the organs and cells in the human body vibrate each at its specific frequency, and in the healthy body they resonate in harmony like the different instruments of an orchestra.

This stemps from polyvagal theory you posted

https://www.google.rs/url?sa=t&sour...x40WciOronCuNEJ8A&sig2=P9Vc1UAYUsNS_0gNzHtXHQ

Our prevailing Euclidean geometric system is 'techno-academic.' It is essentially a controlled, closed system whose elements are the point, the straight line, the circle and the ellipse. This system dominates the contemporary worldview and mindset and is incompatible with Nature.

In more traditional communities, the hard, straight lines of structures were often softened with decorative embellishments, such as are still found on the eaves or rooflines in some Alpine villages. In the last century, ornamentation has been stripped away in architectural design and we are left with buildings that present a naked angularity and sterile uniformity (of agricultural monoculture).

Until modern times the Chinese rejected the Euclidean model. Their building designs were informed by geomantic principles that recognized the straight line as the path of the dragon, the personification of destructive energy. This energy could be tamed by making it flow into curves and spirals. The Chinese understood in those days that straight lines fostered disruptive behaviour. Perhaps it is time to consider what a deadening effect the boxes we inhabit may have on our thoughts and emotions; of how our dependence on the straight line may cause us to behave.

Fuller ideas and explanations of tensengrity structures , shells and domes fits very well with this.

Nature's system is non-Euclidean, open and dynamic; its elements are open spirals forms, shell, egg and vortical forms. This facilitates a fluid and adaptable environment, one in which forms are able to evolve into more complex and creative arrangements.

Other creatures, whose sensitivity is nourished by the subtle energies of open forms, make use of roundness and curves in their nests, burrows, and shells. In order to arrest the downward spiral of our culture, we must take note of systems that encourage creative change . We were created as part of the organic processes of Nature, rather than the mechanical processes that we have adopted.

I like your observations about posture

OrthoBalance - Articles - The ‘inner core’ myth and movement performance

"All movement initiates from the Spine."

"When we view the anatomy in this way, and the body as a Biotensegral structure it is important to carry out movements or exercise, in keeping with the way that our body moves and the ease of motion of the joints and spine, which are essential for their health, well being and longevity."

OrthoBalance - Articles - Science of Natural Movement, Brain Activation and Neuromuscular Coordination

"Neuroscience shows that our movements create nerve pathways or ‘maps’ in our brain, known as brain or nerve maps.
The quality of our movement is determined by the size and quality of these brain maps relating to each body part. "

"Animals and even children utilise times of ‘play’ to develop these important reflexes, nerve maps and movement skills essential for real life situations. "

I noticed huge changes in "thinking " when learning new instrument or new language

Prosper

"Animals and even children utilise times of ‘play’ to develop these important reflexes, nerve maps and movement skills essential for real life situations. "

I noticed huge changes in "thinking " when learning new instrument or new language

Would you like to expand on your experience? I've been improvising on the piano for several hours every day for the last 30-40 days. I simply play with no plans or stress as much or little as I feel like. The act to which I refer by "play" is in its approach synonymous to the almost meditative joyful way a child plays with a toy.

Not only have I become a significantly better and more confident player, I feel like my mind has become noticeably sharper. Words come to my mind faster than they used to, my already strong logically oriented intution has become supercharged. I have easier time expressing whatever thoughts I have in my mind with better fluency than before.

nikolabeacon

Would you like to expand on your experience? I've been improvising on the piano for several hours every day for the last 30-40 days. I simply play with no plans or stress as much or little as I feel like. The act to which I refer by "play" is in its approach synonymous to the almost meditative joyful way a child plays with a toy.

Not only have I become a significantly better and more confident player, I feel like my mind has become noticeably sharper. Words come to my mind faster than they used to, my already strong logically oriented intution has become supercharged. I have easier time expressing whatever thoughts I have in my mind with better fluency than before.

Probably As @Such_Saturation pointed out we eventually first need a kick from the proper diet. Because I also noticed that if my bowels are inflammed or if I didnt eaten enough carbs and proteins i have a hard time concentrating or learning/reading new things.

But also I think that after a correction of the metabolism we ideally should use that energy for exploration, reading, learning and improvement of new things and skills. Because as in some article that Diokine posted in another thread it is stated...

" In other words, the synthesis of ATP from ADP and P, does not
have, as intended; the conservation of energy, since energy cannot
be saved or stored. Further, ATP itself has a half-life of less of twenty
seconds.

Phosphates are compounds that are characterized by their high
kinetic stability and its characteristic thermodynamic instability,
therefore, its function may be conceptualized in different ways, for
example, the regulation of temperature, because when the ATP
becomes ADP, energy is absorbed, and when the ADP is scaled an
ATP, the energy is released.

This is: from ATP to ADP, there is a drop in temperature, an vice
versa, from ADP to ATP temperature increase. Fever can be explained
that way, the body could be synthesizing ATP from ADP and P, but
not is it becoming degraded with the proper speed."

So I think that if metabolism and thyroid works perfectly and somehow you are not or prevented from using that energy in creative manner I think it does not support development. Because its like the circuit between the two. So from doing or learning new things real improvement in "thinking" i noticed when i have support from the diet. Of course u can go from activity but u will eventually slow down and it will exhaust you in fact..And yeah i also like imprlvisation not so much strict learning of pieces...i thinks as Peat stated routine can be stressful.. Or put it simply:

"Life supports life, function builds structure, and structure produces function. Once the function ceases the structure collapses, it maintains itself by working."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals