confusion about body temperature and thyroid

To my knowledge, I am very hypothyroid as my TSH is was 6.5 and my symptoms are debilitating. I've been on NDT for a week, taking 1/6th a grain (1.5mcg T3, 7mcg T4), in the morning with my coffee+milk and OJ. My problem is that I am feverishly hot all the time, and when others feels my forehead they comment that it's as if I have a fever (this mades it very difficult to sleep). I took my temperature today at midday and it was 98.7 degrees, so I am wary of increasing my dose because I thought 98.7 was the target, but if I am to ever get better don't I need to work my way up to something like 2 grains a day? I'm very confused...

Vileplume

To my knowledge, I am very hypothyroid as my TSH is was 6.5 and my symptoms are debilitating. I've been on NDT for a week, taking 1/6th a grain (1.5mcg T3, 7mcg T4), in the morning with my coffee+milk and OJ. My problem is that I am feverishly hot all the time, and when others feels my forehead they comment that it's as if I have a fever (this mades it very difficult to sleep). I took my temperature today at midday and it was 98.7 degrees, so I am wary of increasing my dose because I thought 98.7 was the target, but if I am to ever get better don't I need to work my way up to something like 2 grains a day? I'm very confused...

Stress hormones can cause your temperature to increase, which sounds like it's happening in your case. What's your resting heart rate? Do you notice lower temperatures after eating? Over time, prioritizing sufficient calories from nourishing foods, particularly milk and fruit, should lower your heart rate and possibly temperature (if either is high due to stress hormones).

deliciousfruit

Stress hormones can cause your temperature to increase, which sounds like it's happening in your case. What's your resting heart rate? Do you notice lower temperatures after eating? Over time, prioritizing sufficient calories from nourishing foods, particularly milk and fruit, should lower your heart rate and possibly temperature (if either is high due to stress hormones).
Hey, thanks. Heart rate is generally around 85bpm. I have the opposite, I usually get more hot after eating. I've actually been getting a lot hotter ever starting a ""ray peat diet"" which includes 3L of milk and 2L of OJ a day for me.

tankasnowgod

I don't know of anyone that would call 98.7 degrees F "Feverish."

Why do you think you would have to go up to 2 grains a day? Is that just some arbitrary number you picked out?

Having said that, if you read Broda Barnes book "Hypothyroidism: The Unsuspected Illness," he ramped patients up very slowly, only raising a half grain to a grain every month or so. As an example, if a man started out on a grain, and worked up to 4, it would take him at least 4 months, maybe longer, to get to that 4 grain dose. I think he used a minimum of two weeks before adjusting any dosage.

deliciousfruit

I don't know of anyone that would call 98.7 degrees F "Feverish."

Why do you think you would have to go up to 2 grains a day? Is that just some arbitrary number you picked out?

Having said that, if you read Broda Barnes book "Hypothyroidism: The Unsuspected Illness," he ramped patients up very slowly, only raising a half grain to a grain every month or so. As an example, if a man started out on a grain, and worked up to 4, it would take him at least 4 months, maybe longer, to get to that 4 grain dose. I think he used a minimum of two weeks before adjusting any dosage.
Right, but regardless of what the thermometer says, I am excessivley hot even in cold weather, intolerant to heat, and am told I am feverishly hot to the touch by others.
Yes, 2 was just an arbitrary number I picked out, but from what I understand 1/6th a grain wouldn't be enough for someone who is as sick as I am...
Thanks, I'll read the book!