Confused On Where To Go After Lab Results

dookie

@Ellie18

I would hold off trying hormones or supplements. Saliva tests are unreliable, and Peat doesn't trust them. Many factors influence the saliva, and the quality of it can change within minutes. If you think you have a true deficiency of any hormone, I would suggest doing a blood test at a "real" lab. You can do it without a doctor visist, there are sites such as this: Private MD - Buy Lab Tests Online

Try experimenting with dietary changes and coffee.

EIRE24

Unless you have a reaction to gluten, looking for bread without pufa (be it oil or from whole grains) might be more important.
if you choose to drink rice/almond milk, make sure there's no carrageenan.
if you plan on eating that many eggs, go for pasture raised as the vegetarian fed (even organic) have high pufa.
smelts are a lower pufa fish that is comparable to sardines. they only have a bit of omega 3 though do to their lower pufa content.
most prepared/packaged food these days is made with canola oil, so they will have pufa unfortunately.
dates contain estrogen, but i doubt you're eating enough larabars for this to be an issue.

i get acne when I get more than an hour of hot sun and I haven't eaten liver (high in A) or taken topical vitamin A.
Washing my face with only honey has also appeared to stabilize the oil on my face.
i'm older than you so not sure if this will be of any use to you. i got acne until 21/22 then it stopped being a problem.

This is interesting, so these are the things you found best helped with acne? Do you have to eat liver every week for the A? Your acne is totally gone now?

mt_dreams

This is interesting, so these are the things you found best helped with acne? Do you have to eat liver every week for the A? Your acne is totally gone now?

This first paragraph was not really for acne, rather things I observed about the op's diet.

The second paragraph are things that helped, though it may have been a hormonal imbalance brought on by my teenage years as it sort of stopped being an issue in my early 20s. I eat a couple tbl of organic homemade chicken liver pate every day with my morning latte as I get a better boost compared to eating once a week. As for being generally acne free, I think it was my move away from soap, and other harsh ingredients. I use a smooth honey in the morning, and a rougher one in the night which acts as an exfoliant. There's probably other things not supplement related like getting enough sleep, not over stressing about possible future stressors, etc.

EIRE24

This first paragraph was not really for acne, rather things I observed about the op's diet.

The second paragraph are things that helped, though it may have been a hormonal imbalance brought on by my teenage years as it sort of stopped being an issue in my early 20s. I eat a couple tbl of organic homemade chicken liver pate every day with my morning latte as I get a better boost compared to eating once a week. As for being generally acne free, I think it was my move away from soap, and other harsh ingredients. I use a smooth honey in the morning, and a rougher one in the night which acts as an exfoliant. There's probably other things not supplement related like getting enough sleep, not over stressing about possible future stressors, etc.

I'm actually not sure if vitamin A helps me at all acne wise. Every time I seem to have lambs liver I seem to break out.

I find that not using soap is good too. I get less break outs when I leave my face alone. I usually just wash with water but if I keep doing this, after some weeks I get a crust of dead skin all over my face. When I remove this, a layer of nice shiny red skin is under it but you can also see it is irritated when I remove it. Strange and I'm not sure what to do. Never had skin problems until peat

mt_dreams

I'm actually not sure if vitamin A helps me at all acne wise. Every time I seem to have lambs liver I seem to break out.

I find that not using soap is good too. I get less break outs when I leave my face alone. I usually just wash with water but if I keep doing this, after some weeks I get a crust of dead skin all over my face. When I remove this, a layer of nice shiny red skin is under it but you can also see it is irritated when I remove it. Strange and I'm not sure what to do. Never had skin problems until peat

There's always a danger when totally revamping ones diet. I took 12 months to go fully peat as I wanted to make sure any changes I made were for the better. Perhaps you changed things too quickly. if your acne is your worst problem, I would possibly suggest going back to what worked acne wise, then slowly change ingredients/foods one at a time to make sure they are having positive effects. It may be possible that one of the new foods you changed to is not agreeing with your body. If you look at the diet of people who have been doing this for multiple years, many are not including some of peats gold standard foods (liver, milk/dairy, oranges, etc).

I imagine you've already come to this thought, but if liver is making you break out, then I wouldn't eat it. If you're diet is low in A, then maybe try supplementing some proper vitamin A. I know people who break out when they have lots of cream, so maybe there's a link b/w cholesterol vitamin A fat like liver & cream, and acne formation. Perhaps there's an effect on hormones from the added from the cholest or vit A.

sladerunner69

Hello, I'm new to this forum and to researching Ray Peat. He really piqued my interested because of his totally unconventional views on health. Anyway, About 2 weeks ago I did some lab tests (The saliva kind) testing my estradiol, progesterone, testosterone, DHEAs and morning cortisol. I came in slightly low in estradiol, and very low in progesterone (and DHEAs) so I believe I have estrogen dominance. Testosterone and morning cortisol came in normal.. The main reason I took these tests was to try to see why I'm still suffering from acne. (since I was 12, and now I'm 20 as of a few weeks ago) Seeing that my hormones are not where they should be, acne (and my other problems) make sense. The reason I'm in this forum though, is to see if anyone has had any results similar, and any insight at all of what to do now. I read about adrenal fatigue and hypothyroidism, and while I match a lot of the symptoms of both, I match almost all of the ones for adrenal fatigue. From what I've read though, Ray peat seems to think its almost always the thyroid, not adrenals. I may have interpreted it wrong though. So i'm confused if I should be supplementing progesterone, or thyroid, or pregnenolone or what, because it seems that every time I find something that may work, someone gives a reason why it won't. I ordered a pregnenolone, and N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine (for depression) supplement, just because I don't know where else to begin. If anyone has been through something similar, or has any suggestions at all I would be more than happy to hear them. I also have a consistently low body temperature (always between 96 to 97.8, rarely above 98 degrees fahrenheit) if that helps at all.

I would focus on adopting the peaty diet and lifestyle at first, while slowly adopting one supplement at a time. DO not try to incorporate too many supplements into your routine at once, you will not be able to differentiate and analyze the effects.