confused about the sugar and starch debate

Dutchie

So,i sometimes try to read some of rays articles,but i isually dont get all of the scientific tslk. But as i get it correctlyhe states that statcj glucose causes fatgain,yet iread somrwhere else where he says something of it being less harmfull when paired with sugar?
This all makes me kinda scared bc i love ricepprridge and was thinking of buying some tapioca pearls to variate with,but now im too scared to do so.:s
I still cant believe the sat.fazs&sugar doesmt cause weigthgain theory.

frustrated

images

OP
D

Dutchie

You certainly do justice to your nickname. i'm sorry 4 the typos,happens when i type from my phone

cliff

Most of the negatives of starch are when it's paired with PUFA, starch eaten with plenty of saturated fat is fine for the most part

OP
D

Dutchie

i now come to wonder if it matters what type of starch it is. I know Peat is about science,toxins and stuff and not a weigthloss guru. But from my own little experiences,im coming to think all grains might have an.addictive opiate and thus possibly fattening effect?even corn and white rice. Come to think of it,they use grains to fatten up animals...never heard them about potatoes/sweet tazers,tapioca,plantains etc.
So,id stayed clear of spelt for a couple of days now but still ate riceporridge a couple of days and kept craving it,thinking about stuff to make with riceflour and craving a certain organicbrand of icecream of which i no
w foumd outit has cornstarchflour in it and cream which i suspect to bestill an allergen.yesterday i unconsciously had a no grain/starch day and kept craving grainy products like said,but today i wokeup and fantasized/craved about eating on al these peat sugary and dairy,coconut,(sweet)pptatoes dishes and even certain fruits which im still in the dark about due to my entire past and constantly feeding wrong gutbacteria by eating stuff that made me 'blissfull'at the moment yet constipated lethargic/depressed and fatigued&aching afterward. Last couple of days i had an organic yoghurt ripe banana limejuice raw cane sugar smoothie and my bowels seem to be moving along more lately,so i wonder if this rice/grain thing is again a trick of the wr9ng bacteria to stay alive and wanting to pack on fat amongst some other things to stay alive/overgrowing.

So,what do you think? Migth all grains actually be opiate while fattening such as ray commonly writes?not to mention. metabollically downgrading....and that tubers and roots arent a problem/addicting&fattening/diabetes causing such as taters,sw.taters etc.? Or is all glucose/starch bad?bc im wondering if taters,sw.taters have another metabollic effect? yesterday i was doubting if i should buy tapioca pearls to switch with dessertrice to make riceporridge....as i love these milkproducts with sticky/mushy absorbent things in it like porridge...but im now wondering if it migth be better to toss. The rice alltogether and opt for the tapiocapearls only(though they are pure glucose) or do you maybe know another good/better substitute? Im. Still in the dark about sugar,intolerances especially high free fructose foods bc i sometimes get the feeling i only handle it well on sunny days meaning:no depression/lethargy,hypoglycemia or other diabetic kinda symptoms,fatigue,wanting to workout hard,learn lots of different sports etc.
Sorry,for the long rant and probably comfusing one....but its all such complicated metabollic web.

OP
D

Dutchie

Regarding the grain thing,i did once read that bloodtype O is better off without grains....yet he unfortunately also mentioned few dairy and moderate carb...which would come down to a paleo type diet.:(

frustrated

Starches don't cause obesity. Ray's point is that, relative to sugar, they increase obesity. Surprisingly few people who have read his work understand this (e.g. Matt Stone).

So for example if you take two groups of 100 people and feed them the same amount of calories, but have one group eat starch and one group eat fruit, the fruit group would on average be less obese.

pboy

I think fructose is more easily converted to ketones so more likely to get burned off and increase metabolism rather than being unnecessarily stored, however I suppose this could be slightly dehydrating if overdone (though unlikely considering fructose usually comes with juice or is taken in a liquid)
Grains/Nuts/Seeds have the phytates and oxalates in and around the skins that bind to the gut and minerals in food, leading to irritation and lack of nutrients...but white rice, white wheat, and masa'd corn have the skins removed and therefore most of the phytates/oxalates, and bread which is fermented has even more removed. Potatoes don't have many acids to begin with, but have different toxins of their own...but are also mostly removed by removing the skin and a slight layer underneath. The limestone/potash used in making masa also helps bind out some of the oxalates/phytates out of the corn, removing even more potential irritation.
As far as opiates, I think only wheat, barley, and rye have the proteins which potentially bind to opiod receptors, and its questionable if any even make it into the bloodstream in their intact form, let alone cross the blood brain barrier. The good feeling people get when eating carb's is likely just due to the energy and satiation they get, not an opiod response

Its really just the fact that most forms of grains/nuts/seeds/tubers are just not worth it at all to consume. The ones that are take more time and effort to prepare, and even then might cause a little irritation/mineral loss. So why not just go predominately with ripe fruits and clarified sugars?

Wheat and rice have a good amount of selenium (even in white form) which could be argument for them
Potatoes have a very good protein profile, which could be an argument for them

Other than that, its really just a matter of time, ease, pleasantness, and efficiency to go with ripe fruits and sugars as the best carb choice

OP
D

Dutchie

pboy said:
I think fructose is more easily converted to ketones so more likely to get burned off and increase metabolism rather than being unnecessarily stored, however I suppose this could be slightly dehydrating if overdone (though unlikely considering fructose usually comes with juice or is taken in a liquid)
Grains/Nuts/Seeds have the phytates and oxalates in and around the skins that bind to the gut and minerals in food, leading to irritation and lack of nutrients...but white rice, white wheat, and masa'd corn have the skins removed and therefore most of the phytates/oxalates, and bread which is fermented has even more removed. Potatoes don't have many acids to begin with, but have different toxins of their own...but are also mostly removed by removing the skin and a slight layer underneath. The limestone/potash used in making masa also helps bind out some of the oxalates/phytates out of the corn, removing even more potential irritation.
As far as opiates, I think only wheat, barley, and rye have the proteins which potentially bind to opiod receptors, and its questionable if any even make it into the bloodstream in their intact form, let alone cross the blood brain barrier. The good feeling people get when eating carb's is likely just due to the energy and satiation they get, not an opiod response

Its really just the fact that most forms of grains/nuts/seeds/tubers are just not worth it at all to consume. The ones that are take more time and effort to prepare, and even then might cause a little irritation/mineral loss. So why not just go predominately with ripe fruits and clarified sugars?

Wheat and rice have a good amount of selenium (even in white form) which could be argument for them
Potatoes have a very good protein profile, which could be an argument for them

Other than that, its really just a matter of time, ease, pleasantness, and efficiency to go with ripe fruits and sugars as the best carb choice
Interesting about the mineral binding bc i keep going betwee- bouts of very low iron,not uptaking it. today after last nigths riceporridge i woke up fatigued,lethargic etc. and i think the acid a/kaline balance too,liver haeving hard time detoxing bc my bloodwork showed elevated liver values and i sometimes look orangen which brings m3 to the chicken&egg question: is liver needing to detox. that much bc of leaky gut?or does an overburdened liver cause leaky gut,candida overgrowth and such?
i have a total disordered eating pattern. and scaredness of food&becoming fat again,(over)exercising though i want to bc it makes me feel good. I wonder if all this would really vanish if i start eating 3consistent meals a day and tr_ing to hit 3000cals a day as my practitioner suggested? This kinda scares me,though from nxt week im getting a workplacement as a streetmaker with possibillity of a paid job finally so i guess 3000 with that work migth be ok,however these anxious l feelings make me lack the courage. i wanna be a badass eater ,fatproof with lots of energy like people at 180degrees but im really caugth in this shitshow of emotions probably due to gutfunction. I wonder if that acid alkaline imbalance,liver detox,possible leaky gut is also due to not regularly being able to. poop?
Ive become so scared due to my chubby tired feeling past,all the different macros from all scenes the last 2years,that basically feeling good and strong makes me feel scared as if alarmbells in my head are going off that this is not meant for me and things will go wrong. id really wish there was someone whos experienced something similar,a role model i could find courage&support with,to hold my hand an reassure and guide me through this....

On a sidenote,i found that sw.taters and tapioca should be alkaliz8ng so thats maybe why i started craving them?like said,i like the porridge consistency of something sticky in it so if you have another substitute....im all ears!

OP
D

Dutchie

Come to think of it...i think my yearlong striggles with fructose are part bc eating it with the wrong fats an being addicted to fructosesyrup products in the past,but i think it migth be bc of an already overtaxed liver&leaky gut....and leading towards. Mineral balances,fatigue,acidic body,depression,ibs etc.? Last couple of days when my gut started mving along mote i also started craving more stuff such as tomatoes,carrots,peach etc.....maybe my body was sloely hinting that i could built u0 some more again?now ive wasted it again since its been 2days that ive been able to poop.

OP
D

Dutchie

Holy sh*t....just saw that those tap.pearls contain twice as much carbs/starch then potatoes and rice!not sure if i shozld buy them.