Confused About Cellulose

zeropercent21

I’m confused about the role of cellulose in the diet – is it a good thing or a bad thing? I’ve heard so much contradictory information about it, here are some examples:

Against cellulose:

Kettlebell: We typically strain OJ because of the pulp which would contain small amounts of cellulose (Insoluble fibre) although I have read that many still debate the actual amount of cellulose in pulp OJ. Regardless, the pulp still feeds bacteria as it is harder to digest (And still must contain some cellulose). The more insoluble fiber you consume the more endotoxin the bacteria in your gut produce.

Josh Rubin: Certain foods; roughage (cellulose), for example (leafy green- kale, chard, iceberg, romaine, spring mixes, etc) are not foods that were designed for human consumption. Inadequately digested cellulose acts as a food for bacteria in the gut leading to the release toxic by-products.

Cows, goats, horses, sheep, giraffes, bison, phytoplankton along with many others are known as ruminant animals as it is the rumen that provides the tools necessary for the digestion of cellulose.

Ray Peat: The less cooked a vegetable is the better food it is for bacteria

Starches, poorly cooked vegetables feed the bacteria that produce endotoxin, that excess production of endotoxin increases serotonin release from the intestine

For cellulose:

Ray Peat: Cellulose is the safe fiber, and (boiled) bamboo shoots are another safe fiber.

Mittir: He is ok with insoluble fiber like cellulose not soluble fibers, these are fermentable fibers.

Insoluble fiber works like a broom to reduce estrogen and endotoxin

Willtobelieve: Peat's research shows that cellulose is the type of fiber that increases transit time and reduces estrogen without known negative effects.

Andrew Kim: Another polysaccharide that could afford some protection against starches is uncooked cellulose, which is an insoluble fiber. This is because cellulose, when uncooked, increases the rate at which food passes through the intestines, which should, in principle, decrease the absorption of the toxins produced by high rates of microbial metabolic activities in the intestines.

Mittir

All the persons you have quoted, only Ray Peat is a scientist.
Everyone else is a layperson.I would just follow what RP is saying
and ignore everyone else. You can also research on your own.

tomisonbottom

Ray Peat says that there are only 2 safe fibers; raw carrots and bamboo shoots; those two in particular are an anomaly.
As far as I know, he is generally against any other fiber/cellulose.
You should strain your OJ if you can.

Cloudhands

All the persons you have quoted, only Ray Peat is a scientist.
Everyone else is a layperson.I would just follow what RP is saying
and ignore everyone else. You can also research on your own.
Andrew kim has a phd in biochem i believe

amd

Cellulose in most juices is dissolved cellulose (not natural).