Conflicting signs of health improvement?

davvid_1

Not sure how to 'listen to my body' at times like this.

when i reach a t3 (cynomel) dose of 25mcg, my thyroid starts to swell, and i feel weird sensations sort of 'flaring' briefly around my thyroid and neck.
But this is also the dose my hair shedding slows significantly. Yet at this point, my morning pulse remains around 60, no improvement in months, my temperatures haven't shifted. I feel no different, just as fatigued and tired, my bowels move less frequently, and im putting on alot of fat.

my diet has slipped (some fast food & pufas), ive made no attempt to get any sunlight in about 2 months, haven't tracked my calories, and yet my hair shedding is slowing...in winter.
It seems only t3 helps with the shedding.

Im clearly not slipping into a hyper state, i seem to be still hypo by the standards of this forum, yet my thyroid doesn't let me push the dose beyond 1 pill a day. I have in the past tolerated other brands better, so im waiting to retry that.

when i reach a t3 (cynomel) dose of 25mcg, my thyroid starts to swell, and i feel weird sensations sort of 'flaring' briefly around my thyroid and neck.
But this is also the dose my hair shedding slows significantly. Yet at this point, my morning pulse remains around 60, no improvement in months, my temperatures haven't shifted. I feel no different, just as fatigued and tired, my bowels move less frequently, and im putting on alot of fat.

my diet has slipped (some fast food & pufas), ive made no attempt to get any sunlight in about 2 months, haven't tracked my calories, and yet my hair shedding is slowing...in winter.

Im clearly not slipping into a hyper state, i seem to be still hypo by the standards of this forum, yet my thyroid doesn't let me push the dose beyond 1 pill a day. I have in the past tolerated other brands better, so im waiting to retry that.
Not everyone needs suppliments Davvid to get healthy via Ray Peat. I know a lot of people do on this site, but I have been almost 5 years "Peating" and I have not supplimentsed anything until this past couple months trying a little Progest-E and niacinimide. Ray Peat doesn't suggest any suppliments on a regular basis.

"Because of contaminants in supplements I seldom recommend the oral use of any of them, except aspirin, which can be dissolved in warm water to remove most of the additives. In the winter I use vitamin D, but only on my skin in an oil. Using a thyroid supplement temporarily might help to lower your estrogen." -Ray Peat

rainbowdrops

Not everyone needs suppliments Davvid to get healthy via Ray Peat. I know a lot of people do on this site, but I have been almost 5 years "Peating" and I have not supplimentsed anything until this past couple months trying a little Progest-E and niacinimide. Ray Peat doesn't suggest any suppliments on a regular basis.

"Because of contaminants in supplements I seldom recommend the oral use of any of them, except aspirin, which can be dissolved in warm water to remove most of the additives. In the winter I use vitamin D, but only on my skin in an oil. Using a thyroid supplement temporarily might help to lower your estrogen." -Ray Peat
Hi, just a rookie question but do you mean you dissolve the aspirin and drink it all? Wouldn’t the additives still be there?

Hi, just a rookie question but do you mean you dissolve the aspirin and drink it all? Wouldn’t the additives still be there?

I know me too, even after almost five years of this! I don't know about the aspirin method, but Ray Peat's recommendation to not suppliment unless necessary was more the point I was lending. I think maybe dissolving the aspirin in the warm water might have the contaminants go to the bottom? He does that same method with Brewer's yeast. Just don't drink the sediment at the bottom.

Last edited:

Beastmode

25 mcg of T3 is a lot. The biggest mistake most people make, I say, is to try and fix this stuff way too fast. I charted everything at the beginning before considering any T3 and/or T3/T4 intake. Outside an emergency, I can't imagine anyone needing that much in a day. With a failing heart, a mcg or 2 per hour might save a life, but that's a rare case.

Slow is best. Carve out 4-6 months of consistent tracking and start at a very low dose spread out with meals. The first time I took T3 (around 2 mcg w/ breakfast and lunch) I took 2 hour naps in the afternoon for about a week. I was running on stress hormones so much, my body was finally able to relax.

Also, something like T3 typically works best if you're doing the basic stuff properly and CONSISTENTLY. Diet, sleep, good light/sun exposure, etc.

rainbowdrops

Thanks, Rinse! I have a lot of bowel issues so not sure whether to take aspirin or not. As for brewer’s yeast, I sometimes have marmite, could that have similar benefits?? Sorry if it sounds like a really daft question.

OP
D

davvid_1

25 mcg of T3 is a lot. The biggest mistake most people make, I say, is to try and fix this stuff way too fast. I charted everything at the beginning before considering any T3 and/or T3/T4 intake. Outside an emergency, I can't imagine anyone needing that much in a day. With a failing heart, a mcg or 2 per hour might save a life, but that's a rare case.

Slow is best. Carve out 4-6 months of consistent tracking and start at a very low dose spread out with meals. The first time I took T3 (around 2 mcg w/ breakfast and lunch) I took 2 hour naps in the afternoon for about a week. I was running on stress hormones so much, my body was finally able to relax.

Also, something like T3 typically works best if you're doing the basic stuff properly and CONSISTENTLY. Diet, sleep, good light/sun exposure, etc.
hey, i actually do take it really slow. I was on 5 mcg for about 4 months. 10 mcg for about 6 months. but occasionally i would increase the dose to 15 then 20, over afew months (always split up with meals), and then my hair shedding would slow down within days.

whats odd is that i do the basics obsessively most of the time, but recently, slacking off and upping the dose has helped the hair, but nothing else

OP
D

davvid_1

thanks for the replies, i always thought 25mcg was not such a big dose. I have seen far higher on this forum. One doctor got me on a sustained T3 program (wilsons program), and made me cycle up from 7mcg to 70mcg, 2x per day. and after 2 days the dose would increase. i handled that completely fine and barely felt different