Concerns About Coconut Oil And DHT

jandrade1997

I understand that coconut oil is a very healthy substance with it's saturated fats, ketogenic properties and antimicrobial properties. I'm really interested in beginning to get a couple of tablespoons of it throughout the day, however, I have a concern. The only thing keeping me from consuming any is a study I read a while back discussing the inhibitory properties of lauric acid (from coconut oil) on 5-alpha reductase, the enzyme that turns testosterone into the more active Dihydrotestosterone. I'm 16 so I know my hormonal system is quite different from the majority of the people on this forum. I don't want to mess with my hormonal levels at this age as I'm concerned about permanent effects resulting from hormonal imbalances. I'm hesitant to consume a substance which may lower my dht levels. Does anyone have any knowledge on this topic? Will taking coconut oil decrease the dht by a significant amount, or do the positive effects outweigh the slight hormonal effects? Thanks!

kiran

Hmm the study I found seems to indicate that the Free Fatty Acid lauric acid can inhibit the enzyme 5ar. However, you really don't want high amounts of FFAs in circulation anyway, since they also cause insulin resistance.

The fatty acids in edible oils are mostly in the form of triglycerides which are comparatively safe, and the presence of FFAs is usually a marker for rancidity (they smell).

I don't know if ingesting refined coconut oil is directly correlated to serum lauric acid FFA levels.

freal

I doubt about lauric acid being anti testosterone, but yes all rancid fats are bad. It would not be of surprise is rancid lauric acid messes up hormones.

This makes me think of another issue, if even heating olive oil turns the oleic acid into free fatty acid and messing with the hormones.

freal

I think lauric acid is the main fatty acid in mothers milk. Can we see the study you were talking about jandrandre1997.

pboy

I think I did the math in the past...it was something like 1/2 to 1 tbsp. coconut oil a day to mimic about how much lauric acid is in milk ratio wise on a relatively normal calorie diet. I too don't feel optimum after a lot of coconut oil, especially when its raw. If I cook it into something I can tolerate a little more. I never noticed anything from it that indicated testosterone limitation however, more of just unpleasant gastric side effects. Though maybe that was what was protecting me...the fact that I never ate more than a little, more than I could tolerate. It wouldn't surprise me, seeing as though coconut is a nut...and can be allergenic and usually something being commonly allergenic is an indication that it is somehow disrupting a normal bodily function. Ive heard though, Peat, and others, saying that coconut oil can help build androgenic hormones..., and pregnenalone, because it has similar building block precursors. Sorry I cant help more, best of luck...if it troubles you don't worry about eating coconut oil, its not essential...it just helps people in acute situations such as insulin resistance especially to the brain, and people trying to lose weight. I suspect its androgen building properties, or brain helping testimonies are more so due to the fact that people who limit calories, especially fat and saturated fat, suddenly feel comfortable introducing a good amount back into their diet

sladerunner69

I have the hormonal problems your worried about, from taking propecia, a pharmaceutical 5-alpha reductase inhibitor, when I was 18. I don't think you'll able to mess yourself up anywhere near as bad as me- no amount of coconut oil is going to cause impotence/schizophrenia. However, I can tell you first hand how important it is to keep DHT levels high, especially while your body is developing. DHT is the male hormone most respobsible for secondary sexual characteristics like deep voice, muscle mass, etc. Many doctors believe that DHT is *only* important during growth and development, and that after a certain age it's a useless hormone. I doubt this is true, of course, but it highlights the significant role DHT and other angrogens play in males your age.

Anyway, as for coconut oil, I think that should be on an individual basis. Many of us post-propecia guys get very tired from it, so it's sure to be lowering DHT. Other people feel the opposite. Apparently it has many great benefits, but if it's making you feel tired, don't use it-it's just not worth low DHT.

BibleBeliever

Any more information on this? I have also read that is can compete with cholesterol.

I have noted that I am getting much better results adding butter to my coffee with coconut oil, than coconut oil alone.

Many people are in ketosis, but go for all saturated fat, so they can be consuming 10 tablespoons a day. Here claims from both sides it raises or lowers dht. Although perhaps dosage is a large factor.
Then again you can read from both sides; most say more dht causes hair loss, while others say dht actually prevents it.

hmmm

sladerunner69

Coconut oil contains a lot of lauric acid which has shown in studies to be a 5ar inhibitor. However I believe the benefical properties compensate and result in zero NET effect.

Diokine

Unsaturated fatty acids show the most effect, but in general adding fatty acids to any medium containing 5AR will reduce the activity of that enzyme. Fatty acids will change the reductive potential of the cellular environment by cycling NADPH through esterification/acetyl-coa, and 5AR requires a specific reduced state and NADPH. I wouldn't worry too much about coconut oil in this regard unless you are consuming huge quantities of it - the major player in the game is cortisol and whole body metabolism.

japanesedude

I have the hormonal problems your worried about, from taking propecia, a pharmaceutical 5-alpha reductase inhibitor, when I was 18. I don't think you'll able to mess yourself up anywhere near as bad as me- no amount of coconut oil is going to cause impotence/schizophrenia. However, I can tell you first hand how important it is to keep DHT levels high, especially while your body is developing. DHT is the male hormone most respobsible for secondary sexual characteristics like deep voice, muscle mass, etc. Many doctors believe that DHT is *only* important during growth and development, and that after a certain age it's a useless hormone. I doubt this is true, of course, but it highlights the significant role DHT and other angrogens play in males your age.

Anyway, as for coconut oil, I think that should be on an individual basis. Many of us post-propecia guys get very tired from it, so it's sure to be lowering DHT. Other people feel the opposite. Apparently it has many great benefits, but if it's making you feel tired, don't use it-it's just not worth low DHT.

Coconut oil can also increase the enzymes 3-β-HSD and 17-β-HSD inside the gonads which are needed to convert DHEA and other precursors into Testosterone.
but from my experience(just 1tbsp coconutoil/day),it increases my body's metabolism but the 5AR inhibit effect from lauric acid is too strong.
I take Testorosterone,Pansterone and Androsterone for daily. but Coconut oil seems to strongly block the conversion of these substances into DHT.
Since I started taking coconutoil I've noticed weak erection and itchy nipples.

just noted My simple self introduction

I have early male pattern baldness, thick shiny hair, normal facial hair( like most asian has), wide jaw and dominant face,slightly good born structure and muscle
but also has pubertal gyno since I was 15,IBS(since I was 7),cold feet,hands(supplemental Androgens completely eliminated it)
It seems that my 5AR activity and Thyorid was not working Before I started taking androgens.
probably I have normal T and low DHT,high E and P with poor Thyroid without Androgens.

sladerunner69

Coconut oil can also increase the enzymes 3-β-HSD and 17-β-HSD inside the gonads which are needed to convert DHEA and other precursors into Testosterone.
but from my experience(just 1tbsp coconutoil/day),it increases my body's metabolism but the 5AR inhibit effect from lauric acid is too strong.
I take Testorosterone,Pansterone and Androsterone for daily. but Coconut oil seems to strongly block the conversion of these substances into DHT.
Since I started taking coconutoil I've noticed weak erection and itchy nipples.

just noted My simple self introduction

I have early male pattern baldness, thick shiny hair, normal facial hair( like most asian has), wide jaw and dominant face,slightly good born structure and muscle
but also has pubertal gyno since I was 15,IBS(since I was 7),cold feet,hands(supplemental Androgens completely eliminated it)
It seems that my 5AR activity and Thyorid was not working Before I started taking androgens.
probably I have normal T and low DHT,high E and P with poor Thyroid without Androgens.

Interesting, I used to experience a similar kind of anti-androgenic effect when I was eating coconut oil after I crashed on finasteride. Now it has gotten a lot better and I can tolerate much more coconut oil, though I actually think if I push it too high and eat like 6 tablespoons then I get brain fogged and fatigued because of lowerred DHT. I think there is a delicate balance, and I am lucky enough to have always had strong DHT/Test levels, up until PFS. Now that they have returned to decent numbers (still not as high as they were) I think eating some coconut oil is highly beneficial, beneficial to hair, metabolism, testosterone, balancing out unsaturated fatty tissues, cleaning the gut, etc, just a very useful food with many enviable traits. Though the lauric acid is the greatest pitfall, but I think that blocks DHT moreso than anything else.

japanesedude

Interesting, I used to experience a similar kind of anti-androgenic effect when I was eating coconut oil after I crashed on finasteride. Now it has gotten a lot better and I can tolerate much more coconut oil, though I actually think if I push it too high and eat like 6 tablespoons then I get brain fogged and fatigued because of lowerred DHT. I think there is a delicate balance, and I am lucky enough to have always had strong DHT/Test levels, up until PFS. Now that they have returned to decent numbers (still not as high as they were) I think eating some coconut oil is highly beneficial, beneficial to hair, metabolism, testosterone, balancing out unsaturated fatty tissues, cleaning the gut, etc, just a very useful food with many enviable traits. Though the lauric acid is the greatest pitfall, but I think that blocks DHT moreso than anything else.

At first I was melting coconut oil in coffee, but it gives me stomach upset and nasty gas, so now Im using 1tbsp coconutoil to make fried eggs.
the taste is mild and good. with Himalayan pink salt.
probably I should stay 1tbsp/day and quit taking Androsterone until I finish up coconutoil.

sladerunner69

At first I was melting coconut oil in coffee, but it gives me stomach upset and nasty gas, so now Im using 1tbsp coconutoil to make fried eggs.
the taste is mild and good. with Himalayan pink salt.
probably I should stay 1tbsp/day and quit taking Androsterone until I finish up coconutoil.
Why would you quit taking androsterone? Dont you think it will help counteract the lowerred 5ar from lauric acid???

Queequeg

I think trying to keep all fat intake on the low side is probably best. Doesn't Ray recommend sticking to a low fat diet? I would use coconut oil for cooking or maybe instead of butter on vegetables if you like that but I wouldn't eat it by the spoonful. It's still a heavily processed food and who really knows if eating a ton of it is really good. I am also suspicious about all the hype coconut oil is getting in the "natural health" press. It reminds me of the soy craze from 20 years ago. just my 2 cents

japanesedude

I don't exactly know how lauric acid would effects to precursor hormones.
for example When I applied Androsterone on scrotum,It will converted into DHT and strongly inhibit Aromatase and lower Estrogen.
but if the lauric acid in my body at the same time, I have no idea what Andorsterone will converted into.

I think trying to keep all fat intake on the low side is probably best. Doesn't Ray recommend sticking to a low fat diet? I would use coconut oil for cooking or maybe instead of butter on vegetables if you like that but I wouldn't eat it by the spoonful. It's still a heavily processed food and who really knows if eating a ton of it is really good. I am also suspicious about all the hype coconut oil is getting in the "natural health" press. It reminds me of the soy craze from 20 years ago. just my 2 cents

Keep fat low and produce zero testosterone.

Queequeg

fat low and produce zero testosterone
Ray recommends keeping fat intake low but besides that
Low Fat Diets and Testosterone
"One of the big myths out there is that low fat diets lower testosterone levels. Of course, anecdotally, this could be true with some men, but the research is clear that is not generally the case and I outline just why below.
1. Healthy Men Aged 19 to 46 (13%). This study took men and put them on either a 41% fat diet or a 19% fat diet. The lower fat diet had more fiber and a lower saturated fat to polyunsaturated ratio, both of which are supposed to lower testosterone. So the men on the Lower Fat Diet had dramatically lower T, right? Wrong! Their testosterone was 13% lower. That's it.

So think about it. The men on the higher fat diet would very likely develop arteriosclerosis at an acclerated rate and steadily lose endothelial function. The men on the lower fat diet would have much less arterial plaque and would have greatly increased blood flow and nitric oxide. Now that's a fair trade for a 13% reduction in testosterone if you ask me! The conclusion is clear: dramatically increased nitric oxide for an inconsequential drop in testosterone.

2. Cross Section of Men (0%). This study found that men going on a true Low Fat Diet at the Pritikin Center experienced no change in testosterone levels. Total T was 510 ng/dl before and about 510 after. What was remarkable, though, was the fact that estradiol dropped like a rock and fell by a little over 50%! [2]

By the way, some of you mistrust Low Fat Diets, because you consider them a radicalized diet that is vegan only and allows no meat. And it is true that some of the current leaders in the movement are vegans. However, the real apostle of Low Fat Diets in the U.S. was Nathan Pritikin and he ate a little meat regularly. (He only chose lower fat selections however.) Dr. Gould, one of the physicians that I call a Plaque Reverser, actually encourages some meat consumption. And Dr. Ornish, probably the most well-known of the Low Fat Diet gurus, allowed for egg whites and some nonfat dairy in his program.

So, again, this study shows NO drop in testosterone and a very significant boost in the T/E2 ratio. This will almost for sure help you feel better and protect your prostate as well.

CAUTION: One reason that low fat diets do not lower testosterone levels is that they generally are not high protein. Higher levels of protein tend to lower testosterone and most of these studies are not on bodybuilders and athletes trying to consume 160 grams of protein a day obviously. If you are going to consume a lot of protein, then you may want to run your testosterone before and after as precautionary measure. You can do so by using one of the labs on this page: Inexpensive Testosterone Labs for Men Who Wish to Self-Test.

3. Early Senior Aged Men (12%). This study put men on a higher fat, low fiber diet and contrasted with a high fiber, lower fat diet. Again, this is supposed to hammer testosterone levels according to anti-low fat pundits. Of course, no such thing happened and testosterone levels fell by a meager 12%.

Again, who thinks that eating low amounts of fiber is going to improve health? If you added fiber to the higher fat diet, it might erase the testosterone differential altogether.
"