Complex Regional Pain Syndrome

L

lollipop

Anyone know anything about this condition and how to treat using Ray Peat friendly suggestions? I do not have enough comprehension or knowledge to attempt to help her but I feel for her and she is a bit panicked.

A friend has recently been diagnosed with this condition and she is suffering. MD wants to give heavy drug like Prozac and/or 6 sympathetic 24 hr nerve blocks. *shuttering* at the thought.

From the best I can understand sympathetic nervous system is on overdrive in this condition. Could lowering inflammation, serotonin, adrenaline, nitric oxide and potentially estrogen potentially help? Or perhaps progesterone, lysine, Lapodin, caffeine, aspirin? Any other thoughts?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I wonder if information in the book @ecstatichamster mentioned in this thread might help?

Opioids Increase Pain Through Endotoxin Receptor, Minocycline Reverses The Effect

Ecstatichamster wrote,

"There is also an excellent theory that Doidge talked about in his book The Brain's Way of Healing (exceptional book). The theory is that our brains acclimate to pain and recruit more neurons to feel pain. That the brain can gateway "off" pain actually, but painkillers chronically used habituate the brain to accepting and feeling pain and as more neurons are recruited to the pain, to accentuate pain.

I dealt with this by trying some things out and I believe there is truth to it. That's why chronic pain often gets worse and worse even when someone takes painkillers.

I've found great success with Open Focus by Dr. Fehmi, in dealing with pain myself without medication, and basically making it go away. It doesn't always work 100% but it often does, and the more you do it, theeasier it gets."

OP
L

lollipop

I wonder if information in the book @ecstatichamster mentioned in this thread might help?

Opioids Increase Pain Through Endotoxin Receptor, Minocycline Reverses The Effect

Ecstatichamster wrote,

"There is also an excellent theory that Doidge talked about in his book The Brain's Way of Healing (exceptional book). The theory is that our brains acclimate to pain and recruit more neurons to feel pain. That the brain can gateway "off" pain actually, but painkillers chronically used habituate the brain to accepting and feeling pain and as more neurons are recruited to the pain, to accentuate pain.

I dealt with this by trying some things out and I believe there is truth to it. That's why chronic pain often gets worse and worse even when someone takes painkillers.

I've found great success with Open Focus by Dr. Fehmi, in dealing with pain myself without medication, and basically making it go away. It doesn't always work 100% but it often does, and the more you do it, theeasier it gets."
Wow...thank you @Blossom! I am sending her this info...makes sense actually what he wrote.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Wow...thank you @Blossom! I am sending her this info...makes sense actually what he wrote.
Good! I hope it helps some. I just stumbled upon the post while searching for something else and thought of you.
I wonder how her thyroid and metabolism are doing? Have you suggested she track her pulse and temperature? That might be an additional avenue worth exploring with her. I don't know how much it would help but it seems like everything including pain is much worse for me when I'm cold and hypo.

OP
L

lollipop

Good! I hope it helps some. I just stumbled upon the post while searching for something else and thought of you.
I wonder how her thyroid and metabolism are doing? Have you suggested she track her pulse and temperature? That might be an additional avenue worth exploring with her. I don't know how much it would help but it seems like everything including pain is much worse for me when I'm cold and hypo.
Great suggestions, I am going to write up for her a list of suggestions. She was panicking when she called so could not get very far in history etc. She was hyper focused on not getting those blocks or heavy antidepressants. I will suggest she start tracking and also slowly move towards a more Peat friendly diet or at least fresh foods and not processed as a first step.

As help for anyone seeing this thread later, I found this site that explains all possible/known treatments allopathic and natural intervention:

Treatments

Interesting to note, adding the understanding of Peat's theories might strengthen the results of the natural methods...

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Your friend is so fortunate to have you helping her Lisa.

OP
L

lollipop

Your friend is so fortunate to have you helping her Lisa.
Aaaaaawwwww...thank you @Blossom - it is sort of my nature. I see this same compassion in you and can see why you are in such an important field for serving people.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Aaaaaawwwww...thank you @Blossom - it is sort of my nature. I see this same compassion in you and can see why you are in such an important field for serving people.
Thanks Lisa. I guess we're both nurturers.:)

Peatful

Anyone know anything about this condition and how to treat using Ray Peat friendly suggestions? I do not have enough comprehension or knowledge to attempt to help her but I feel for her and she is a bit panicked.

A friend has recently been diagnosed with this condition and she is suffering. MD wants to give heavy drug like Prozac and/or 6 sympathetic 24 hr nerve blocks. *shuttering* at the thought.

From the best I can understand sympathetic nervous system is on overdrive in this condition. Could lowering inflammation, serotonin, adrenaline, nitric oxide and potentially estrogen potentially help? Or perhaps progesterone, lysine, Lapodin, caffeine, aspirin? Any other thoughts?

Thank you in advance for your help!
I know someone suffering to the point of contemplating death.
Can you give me any guidance from your experience with your client in 2016?
Thank you.

Mauritio

Any new ideas ? I have a patient every once in a while, where I believe they have CRPS ,which is often overlooked or misdiagnosed by doctors .

From what I read they have high cytokines and high free radicals so vitamins D and E might help.

They also have an increase in sympathetic nervous tone ,similarly to PTSD patients. So I guess that's why stellate ganglion blockade helps in both of those diagnoses. This would also mean that they probably have high cortisol ,adrenaline, CRH, etc. ... a high salt diet would be an easy way to counter that .

I'll ask RP what he thinks about CRPS.

Mauritio

Quick response from RP:

Q: Hello Mr. Peat,
What do you think works best for complex regional pain syndrom (CRPS)?

Evey once in a while I'll have a patient where I think he/she has crps, but don't really know what to recommend to them. I read they have high cytokines and free radicals ,so maybe vitamins D and E might help.

A: And sometimes it’s relieved by better intestinal function, with fiber, thyroid, etc.

Q: Thanks. Would you say vitamins D and E are worth trying in that case ?

A:Vitamin D, calcium, and magnesium are most likely to help.

Peatful

Quick response from RP:

Q: Hello Mr. Peat,
What do you think works best for complex regional pain syndrom (CRPS)?

Evey once in a while I'll have a patient where I think he/she has crps, but don't really know what to recommend to them. I read they have high cytokines and free radicals ,so maybe vitamins D and E might help.

A: And sometimes it’s relieved by better intestinal function, with fiber, thyroid, etc.

Q: Thanks. Would you say vitamins D and E are worth trying in that case ?

A:Vitamin D, calcium, and magnesium are most likely to help.
Great

thx for posting

I heart Ray Peat

Mauritio

Great

thx for posting

I heart Ray Peat
He is such a great guy. I think it cant be over appreciated how much he's willing to help people for free over email.

Peatful

He is such a great guy. I think it cant be over appreciated how much he's willing to help people for free over email.
A gift.

as much of a great mind that he is- I truly admire him because of his generosity, humility and just his personhood.