Compiling a list of books Peat's talked about?

D

des yeux

By the way if anyone finds the Bockris book "The New Paradigm" I would pay for a scan or sending it to me. The background of the author is in electro-chemistry and physics, and given that it was published in the 21st century means that he hopefully incorporated the 20th century alternative physics views. It seems the publisher is out of business or something, I cannot find a copy. If anyone has another suggestion on good resources that discuss Polyani, ether drift, time as a source of energy etc, please share them!

ivy

I'm a little puzzled. Do you know when he mentioned Donna Haraway? And which ideas he might've been sympathetic with?
Needham
Donna Haraway
Alberte and Bernarde Pullman
Adelle Davis
George Crile
Felix Meerson
Ukhtomski

ivy

We might need to draw a distiction between books Dr. Peat mentioned and books he indeed recommended. I am unsure whether he'd currently recommend Marx or Bertrand Russell or even Aldous Huxley. On the other hand, I was warmly surprised to have found Gurdjieff and Jarry on these lists. Can we establish the tenets of an energy promoting reading list?

Last edited:
OP
windinthepines
"Aldous Huxley was one of the first people to think about the general biological meaning of drugs such as
LSD. Referring to the ideas of Henri Bergson and William Blake, he suggested that the brain usually acts
as a filter, or "reducing valve," to make us disregard most of the information we are receiving through
our senses, and that the psychedelic drugs temporarily remove the filter, or open the sensory reducing
valve. Bergson had suggested that the filter was a practical measure needed to allow us to focus on
practical survival needs; Blake had suggested that the doors of perception were kept closed for cultural
reasons." (Serotonin: Effects in disease, aging and inflammation, 2011)

"Thanks. Yes, I liked the style of several of the beat writers,
Kerouac's fluidity, and Ginsberg's more intense confrontation of the
culture. Aldous Huxley was another person strongly influenced by
Blake." (email)

He mentions and quotes Huxley several other times in newslettters.

Given the quote above, I'll add Jack Kerouac and Alan Ginsberg to the list.

Also, Heraclitus.

ivy

"Aldous Huxley was one of the first people to think about the general biological meaning of drugs such as
LSD. Referring to the ideas of Henri Bergson and William Blake, he suggested that the brain usually acts
as a filter, or "reducing valve," to make us disregard most of the information we are receiving through
our senses, and that the psychedelic drugs temporarily remove the filter, or open the sensory reducing
valve. Bergson had suggested that the filter was a practical measure needed to allow us to focus on
practical survival needs; Blake had suggested that the doors of perception were kept closed for cultural
reasons." (Serotonin: Effects in disease, aging and inflammation, 2011)

"Thanks. Yes, I liked the style of several of the beat writers,
Kerouac's fluidity, and Ginsberg's more intense confrontation of the
culture. Aldous Huxley was another person strongly influenced by
Blake." (email)

He mentions and quotes Huxley several other times in newslettters.

Given the quote above, I'll add Jack Kerouac and Alan Ginsberg to the list.

Also, Heraclitus.
Thanks for the clarification.

D

des yeux

I'm a little puzzled. Do you know when he mentioned Donna Haraway? And which ideas he might've been sympathetic with?
He mentioned her in his article "How do you know? Students, patients, and discovery", it was an early book by her about the history of biology of early 20th century.

ivy

He mentioned her in his article "How do you know? Students, patients, and discovery", it was an early book by her about the history of biology of early 20th century.
Thank you. I imagined it couldn't be her Cyborg Manifesto :P

S-VV

Her first book, about the field theories in early 20th century embryology. It's "Crystals, fabrics and fields". I don't pay attention to "feminist" writings, so I have no idea if he would be sympathetic to them, but I don't think he would feel any kinship with a cyborg advocate.

S-VV

anyone has another suggestion on good resources that discuss Polyani, ether drift, time as a source of energy etc, please share them!
I tried to find original Polanyi articles (not the modern version used for catalytic analysis) about his multi layer adsorption, but found only a few German ones. Ether drift and time as energy is so interesting, I feel that ray knew much, much more about physics than he let on, but he hardly talked about them. Also his idea of matter as a field (not the quantum field nonsense) and of long range coherence and hysteretic forces between matter interest me a lot

Giraffe

Does a list like this exist?

One such thread is linked above, Here is another one:

D

des yeux

Thank you. I imagined it couldn't be her Cyborg Manifesto :P
She is a funny lady. I have seen a documentary about her work a couple years back, I liked her idea of making kin with other organisms, that we are not so special. I remember her talking about the need to have kin relations with adults, that having children and marriage shouldn't be the only valid way to create family.

D

des yeux

I tried to find original Polanyi articles (not the modern version used for catalytic analysis) about his multi layer adsorption, but found only a few German ones. Ether drift and time as energy is so interesting, I feel that ray knew much, much more about physics than he let on, but he hardly talked about them. Also his idea of matter as a field (not the quantum field nonsense) and of long range coherence and hysteretic forces between matter interest me a lot
Yeah I wish I found something about Polyani's earlier work, it left a strong impression on Peat and I don't read of it around. The closest I found in my reading is Rupert Sheldrake's morphegentic fields and solutions crystalizing faster after the initial form is found.

Ray also casually mentioned once that he did experiments on eggs to understand hysteresis and found that passing a current through an egg once results in less resistance afterwards. An interesting reference on my reading list is a book called "Biological Coherence and Response to External Stimuli". Another name that pops up in my search is James Oschman. (And of course Mae-Wan Ho). Still as you say, Ray had a nice picture of things and unless we get some unpublished writing, it will take some time and effort to go over the materials.