Common Cold/feeling "sick" Lots Of People Talk Of -- What Is The Explanation?

Why do some people seem to be "getting colds" so much (like small kids for example) but others never, no matter what? I used to get them nonstop as a kid, but now it seems I never do even if I'm around others who are supposedly "sick" (this is not to say I'm super-healthy/resilient/bragging or anything like that).

I don't think I have a "good" immune system at all, so I doubt that could be the reason for me avoiding it. Maybe a lot of people who "get sick" aren't really sick in that sense, but more so it's an overall indicator of intrinsic health dips than some "foreign pathogen" sickening you out of your control/choices?

Also, some say that being in the vicinity of another who is sick can make you "catch" the cold, but this is questionable when sick people are around some and they never fall ill despite it. while others it's like a human-domino-effect where one with a runny nose leads to another with a sore throat and then "everybody is sick."

People will agree that it's about health and resilience, but I am not especially healthy at all, I don't think, so that argument is debatable. In fact, some of the quote unquote "healthy people" with good diets, lots of energy and etc. might be "catching colds" more often than the lower energy individual with overall bad symptoms, which also brings up the topic on psychosomatic response in being around sick people -- or other energy/nutritional insufficiencies that can aggravate feeling "the cold coming on" possibly.

Again, some people mention "feeling sick" or symptoms like that of a cold, but this could point to various sources since not everyone who "feels sick" has the same origin of said feeling making them associate it with -- in their mind -- having "the cold" or such (think: allergies with the runny nose/all "classic" symptoms). So I'm not sure where to go or what sense to make of this when people say they're "sick" or "have a cold."

Maybe "sick" to many people is endotoxemia/immunosuppression? Viral origin as believed may not be the primary pathology?

I know plenty of doctors -- when kids for example "feel sick" and are taken to the see them -- never find anything and just advise for something vague like rest, vitamin C or etc. -- they usually don't specify or identify any real origin on what caused most "feeling sick" cases that aren't traceable easily to something on a routine, elective medical visit or check up, which makes it seem like a waste of time for some I'm sure.

redsun

Why do some people seem to be "getting colds" so much (like small kids for example) but others never, no matter what? I used to get them nonstop as a kid, but now it seems I never do even if I'm around others who are supposedly "sick" (this is not to say I'm super-healthy/resilient/bragging or anything like that).

I don't think I have a "good" immune system at all, so I doubt that could be the reason for me avoiding it. Maybe a lot of people who "get sick" aren't really sick in that sense, but more so it's an overall indicator of intrinsic health dips than some "foreign pathogen" sickening you out of your control/choices?

Also, some say that being in the vicinity of another who is sick can make you "catch" the cold, but this is questionable when sick people are around some and they never fall ill despite it. while others it's like a human-domino-effect where one with a runny nose leads to another with a sore throat and then "everybody is sick."

People will agree that it's about health and resilience, but I am not especially healthy at all, I don't think, so that argument is debatable. In fact, some of the quote unquote "healthy people" with good diets, lots of energy and etc. might be "catching colds" more often than the lower energy individual with overall bad symptoms, which also brings up the topic on psychosomatic response in being around sick people -- or other energy/nutritional insufficiencies that can aggravate feeling "the cold coming on" possibly.

Again, some people mention "feeling sick" or symptoms like that of a cold, but this could point to various sources since not everyone who "feels sick" has the same origin of said feeling making them associate it with -- in their mind -- having "the cold" or such (think: allergies with the runny nose/all "classic" symptoms). So I'm not sure where to go or what sense to make of this when people say they're "sick" or "have a cold."

Maybe "sick" to many people is endotoxemia/immunosuppression? Viral origin as believed may not be the primary pathology?

I know plenty of doctors -- when kids for example "feel sick" and are taken to the see them -- never find anything and just advise for something vague like rest, vitamin C or etc. -- they usually don't specify or identify any real origin on what caused most "feeling sick" cases that aren't traceable easily to something on a routine, elective medical visit or check up, which makes it seem like a waste of time for some I'm sure.

I know this is old but I think a question should be answered regardless. The main answer to your question of why some people getting sick often while some not at all is histamine. This is why usually as most adults get older their histamine levels drop and drop until they almost never get sick to any degree because their typical immune response which histamine is heavily involved in no longer works. This is what histapenics deal with as well, never get sick or get headaches or what have you.

Children get sick because their histamine levels are normal or even elevated. They still have a strong immune system and can exhibit the typical cold/flu symptoms also because their thyroid is better functioning which is also involved in immune response and histamine. People who get sick very often (way too often) are usually histadelic.

ThinPicking

It's a great question.

On my longest run without a cold or flu ever here, wondering when it ends and how.

I think it's somewhere between the gut and the mind. I don't think they're contagious in the way we're all made to think they are. However the belief they are is extremely powerful.

Korven

I know this is old but I think a question should be answered regardless. The main answer to your question of why some people getting sick often while some not at all is histamine. This is why usually as most adults get older their histamine levels drop and drop until they almost never get sick to any degree because their typical immune response which histamine is heavily involved in no longer works. This is what histapenics deal with as well, never get sick or get headaches or what have you.

Children get sick because their histamine levels are normal or even elevated. They still have a strong immune system and can exhibit the typical cold/flu symptoms also because their thyroid is better functioning which is also involved in immune response and histamine. People who get sick very often (way too often) are usually histadelic.

This is very interesting to me.

I had very bad hay fever/histamine symptoms as a child, and I was "feeling sick" constantly/coming down with something/sore throat/feelings of malaise. My mom even took me to the doctor and they thought I was lying and told me to eat more vegetables... thanks useless modern medicine.

And well, this has been going on for my entire life. Last year, 2019, was the worst year because I was sick constantly with sore throats, high fever from nowhere, feeling like ***t most days, and where one infection stopped another began so I never recovered. Felt like CFS because if I tried to exercise I immediately got sick again. Tried to fix things by eating plant-based (following medical medium, lol what a ******* joke) and got even sicker because of malnutrition.

Since I finally decided to cut out starch I don't seem to get sick anymore. I don't know what to say, it seems like a miracle. I've had some days where I feel like I might get a sore throat, but it goes away pretty quickly whereas before I would be bedridden.

How does this even work? And how does it have to with histamine? Endotoxin connection?

redsun

This is very interesting to me.

I had very bad hay fever/histamine symptoms as a child, and I was "feeling sick" constantly/coming down with something/sore throat/feelings of malaise. My mom even took me to the doctor and they thought I was lying and told me to eat more vegetables... thanks useless modern medicine.

And well, this has been going on for my entire life. Last year, 2019, was the worst year because I was sick constantly with sore throats, high fever from nowhere, feeling like ***t most days, and where one infection stopped another began so I never recovered. Felt like CFS because if I tried to exercise I immediately got sick again. Tried to fix things by eating plant-based (following medical medium, lol what a ******* joke) and got even sicker because of malnutrition.

Since I finally decided to cut out starch I don't seem to get sick anymore. I don't know what to say, it seems like a miracle. I've had some days where I feel like I might get a sore throat, but it goes away pretty quickly whereas before I would be bedridden.

How does this even work? And how does it have to with histamine? Endotoxin connection?

Were the starches you ate fortified with folic acid or were they high in folates in general? High histamine types get severe worsening of symptoms from supplemental folate intake and/or high folate intake from the diet. Sometimes it doesnt have to be high, even some folate intake sets them off. So if you are high histamine type, which is likely the case, dropping folate intake by dropping starches helps control histamine reactions.

Korven

Were the starches you ate fortified with folic acid or were they high in folates in general? High histamine types get severe worsening of symptoms from supplemental folate intake and/or high folate intake from the diet. Sometimes it doesnt have to be high, even some folate intake sets them off. So if you are high histamine type, which is likely the case, dropping folate intake by dropping starches helps control histamine reactions.

Nope I ate mostly unenriched white rice and potatoes, some lentils/beans. Looked up a random day in cronometer and I got under the RDI of folate from eggs, veggies etc, just a standard peat diet including starches.

I'm thinking there were some serious issues with bacterial overgrowth in my GI tract which was perpetuated by starch, endotoxin = constant TLR 4 activation, immune response etc. Didn't have any noticeable digestive issues though.

redsun

Nope I ate mostly unenriched white rice and potatoes, some lentils/beans. Looked up a random day in cronometer and I got under the RDI of folate from eggs, veggies etc, just a standard peat diet including starches.

I'm thinking there were some serious issues with bacterial overgrowth in my GI tract which was perpetuated by starch, endotoxin = constant TLR 4 activation, immune response etc. Didn't have any noticeable digestive issues though.

Doesnt need to be fortified starches but usually it aggravates it more. Yeh thats the thing, you aren't going to have much if any digestive issues because you have naturally high histamine making you digest food pretty well compared to most. Even small amounts of folate trigger it as histadelics have much higher blood folic acid levels, for these type or people sometimes they need to even give them anti-folate medication Dilantin to control their reactions.

And yes starch can trigger reactions more than other foods, thats just a general rule for starch. Are beans/lentils not high folate foods? And even unfortified rice, at least the jasmine kind, is pretty decent there as well. Usually just the minimal RDA causes issues for histadelic, so even well below would also be problematic.

If you generally digest foods well, Its very unlikely you have bacterial overgrowth issues.

Feeling sick or getting sick often, high fevers, hay fever, etc. All point to elevated histamine individual. The fact that you also cant point to any significant digestive issues also points to this as well.

Last edited:

Aries

Interesting findings. I think it's the strength of inflammatory response that determines feeling of sickness. Histamine is a part of it but there are also other things like cytokines and prostaglandins that mediate inflammatory responses. Anti-inflammatories like vitamin C or NSAIDs can help alleviate the symptoms of heavy inflammatory response which can manifest as fever, headache, malaise etc.

I am and was rarely sick with flu, especially heavy flus with high fever. I never have headaches or migraines and never felt the need for painkillers. My inflammation is very low, undetectable hsCRP and under the range NLR several times. It's the same on PUFA or not.

For overmethylator or undermethylator I check some of the boxes from either one. No heavy allergies. MCV is in middle of range suggesting alright B12 and folate or methylation status.

I have had digestive issues too. Endotoxin as gas and bloating didn't make me very suspectible to flu which supports what redsun says.