Commercial OJ Bowel Trouble

DaveFoster

I've recently tried to get the majority of my calories from frozen OJ concentrate; I feel great, but my gut isn't happy.

After about 1,000 - 2,000 calories of OJ, I get loose stools and eventually diarrhea.

How have you guys dealt with this? Is a stool test merited for a possible infection?

Ukall

Concentrate means that it has fiber, right? Or is it the opposite? Now I'm confused.
Because, for example, the other day I experimented to drink 2L of OJ but with all the fiber blended. The next day, my poop was really gelly, viscous and it broke really easily.
And a worse experience was from apples: I ate a little to much apples one day and a Santa Claus melon (in both I ate all the fiber). I ended up experienced the same as you: almost diarrhea. However, did you experience pain in your belly? Because for me it's weird, the poop seems like diarrhea, really liquid, but it doesn't hurt at all like a 'normal' diarrhea would.
I've read somewhere here that if you eat a full watermelon, you'll probably have loose stools too.

However, if I eat some potatoes, my stools are easier to become 'perfect'.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

No, it's not painful; it's just uncomfortable and noticeably worsens my mood.

Concentrate can have the fiber, or it can be "pulp free" without the fiber.

Brian

How much do you dilute it? When I have tried to drink orange juice concentrate regularly in the past I have noticed that if it isn't diluted at least the suggested amount that it causes gut issues.

I'm not sure what it is, it may just be the level of citric acid. OJ has a pH of about 3.3. If its undiluted it would be even lower. If that's passing through into your intestine without being fully digested I would think that it would be very irritating to your intestine.

Maybe it has something to do with the way OJ concentrate is processed that makes the citric acid harder to digest. Just a guess. For whatever reason its pretty clear to me that OJ concentrate is not a great food as a major staple.

Ukall

it's just uncomfortable
Well, you said in the other thread that you experience some noises. That may probably indicate your body is kinda rejecting it, I dunno.
I only experienced some noises when I had gases (I suppose it is because it is passing through all the liquid inside the intestine)
"pulp free" without the fiber.
How do you handle the "pulp free" OJ?
And how do you handle home made OJ (pulp free too)?

Last edited:
OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

How much do you dilute it? When I have tried to drink orange juice concentrate regularly in the past I have noticed that if it isn't diluted at least the suggested amount that it causes gut issues.

I'm not sure what it is, it may just be the level of citric acid. OJ has a pH of about 3.3. If its undiluted it would be even lower. If that's passing through into your intestine without being fully digested I would think that it would be very irritating to your intestine.

Maybe it has something to do with the way OJ concentrate is processed that makes the citric acid harder to digest. Just a guess. For whatever reason its pretty clear to me that OJ concentrate is not a great food as a major staple.
That may be it. I drink it about half OJ concentrate and half water in the glass, which is around x4 strength OJ. I'll try making it carbonated with Baking Soda, which should neutralize it well enough.

Well, you said in the other thread that you experience some noises. That may probably indicate your body is kinda rejecting it, I dunno.
I only experienced some noises when I had gases (I suppose it is because it is passing through all the liquid inside the intestine)
How do you handle the "pulp free" OJ?
And how do you handle home made OJ (pulp free too)?
The pulp free OJ makes me have diarrhea instantly. I cannot handle pulp, and many others cannot as well. I don't make homemade OJ; it's too expensive.

snowboard111

It might be too much water ? A 1000cal of OJ is around 2L and 2000cal, not far from a gallon (it obviously depend on the OJ). I think oranges are like 80% water... maybe there's even more in OJ?

2000ml x 0.8 = 1600ml
3700ml x 0.8 = 2960ml

That's a lot of water... Anyway, just hypothesizing :) Maybe adding some salt with help balance things out

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

It might be too much water ? A 1000cal of OJ is around 2L and 2000cal, not far from a gallon (it obviously depend on the OJ). I think oranges are like 80% water... maybe there's even more in OJ?

2000ml x 0.8 = 1600ml
3700ml x 0.8 = 2960ml

That's a lot of water... Anyway, just hypothesizing :) Maybe adding some salt with help balance things out
Thanks for the input, but it's OJ concentrate, so the water's largely removed.

Jayfish

Didn't you say you were getting like 6-8k calories a day? How many calories were from concentrate??

Vit C is also a laxative at higher doses.