Commercial Hand Moisturizer Suggestions

marcar72

... does anyone have some? Basically I'm looking for a hand moisturizer that penetrates and works good that is commercially produced. Something that is all natural and free of harmful/questionable toxins. Any suggestions with explanations as to the pros and cons of said items would be greatly appreciated. I've tried using just plain old refined coconut oil and it helps somewhat but seems to just mostly set on top of the skin...

For instance as of right now I'm hesitantly using Vasoline "Intesive Rescue/Repairing" lotion. It's been my preferred lotion for years as I feel it works really well without leaving a greasy residue. Since getting into all thing Peat though, I've been trying/wanting to get into more pure/all natural personal hygiene products.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Good question. Hope someone can make a suggestion.

HDD

My favorite is tallow that I made. Here is a link where you can buy it. I don't know how practical/affordable it is to purchase but making it is very easy to do and easy on the budget.

http://vintagetradition.com/

Peata

Mittir said:
Has anyone tried cocoa butter? There is about 3 percent PUFA.

I make my own cream using cocoa butter. Here's the recipe from the last batch I made: 1/2 c. melted cocoa butter, 1 c. melted coconut oil, 1 t. honey, 2 capsules Unique E

You could probably leave out the honey - i was experimenting with it.

I've also used plain evoo with great success after shower/bath, hand washing, face washing, etc. Just a little works into damp skin nicely. The key I think is to use the highest quality evoo you can find.

Lilac

My hands were dry and rough lately, and plain coconut oil, plain olive oil, and a tallow cream didn't help much. I decided to get more serious about wearing rubber gloves when doing cleaning or dish washing that would overwhelm my hands. After a week or so, the glove wearing got results. I also bought a couple of generally-natural moisturizers at Trader Joe's. The Nourish Shea Butter Hand Cream feels the nicest, IMO.

shepherdgirl

Does anyone know if wax, mineral oil, or petroleum jelly are ok or not? If my hands are getting chapped i find that, at night, putting petroleum jelly on lightly damp hands, then putting on cotton gloves and keeping them on overnight, really helps it to penetrate hands.
Has anyone tried MCT oil? I made tallow butter but didn't like it as it was greasy, and if my hands were dry it did not moisturize them. Also it gets pretty dense in the winter cold. MCT could be a possibility since it is a liquid saturated fat.
There are some products put out by O'Keefe's that I like. I think they are wax creams - not sure if they are peaty.