The Law & Order Admin
OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
List updated to add masa harina.

Birdie

O Organics 1% tastes good and works for me.
O Organics half and half.
Trader Joe's Organic OJ.

Green & Black's Organic Cocoa.
Cuisine Camino Organic Cocoa.

Sun-Maid Organic Raisins.
Simply Organic Vanilla Extract.

Organic Valley Non Instant Nonfat Dry Milk.

Nick810

Pretty sure Sun Maid Raisins have oil added to them?

Edit: how's that drink powder, good alternative to using pasteurized milk?

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Nick, I will get the list updated soon. Thank you.

Taking a few days off, kind of got myself into a pickle health wise.

bbmm123

Masa harina and corn tortillas are contradictory to not to eat corn or even meat from corn fed animals
or maybe in small amounts it's ok ?

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Masa harina is one of those Peat grey areas. It seems like it would be OK once in a while, however, it shouldnt be the bulk of your diet.

Some people are seeing some good metabolic raises from eating starches. I guess this is one of those "in context" things. However, to Peat, it would seem that maybe starches are not the best thing and he would rather favor fruit.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

AnnB

I have purchased 5 gallon buckets of coconut oil from No coconut scent or taste.
http://www.glorybee.com/shop/Coconut-Oil-76-Degree.html $73.50
or
http://www.glorybee.com/shop/Coconut-Oil.html $99.95 Either one is good. No coconut scent or taste.
When I asked Dr. Peat about what oil to get in 1997 he said what I wanted was 76 degree. Nothing special. At the time it was difficult to find. Not so now. And this is the time to order it ....in the US northern states as the temperature is cool enough that the coconut oil is hard. Some companies won't ship unless the weather is cool.

The most recent order (March) sent it in heavy poly bag in a box....with an opening. I have yet to get it warmed enough to pour into a previous coconut oil bucket. If I don't need it until next summer, I'll wait and on a day off or two, take it outside on a hot day and let it warm up and pour it out then. Outside would be tidier as well.
http://www.bulknaturaloils.com/Products ... esale.aspx $57.50 and it looks very nice.
Noe that if you have two friends who will order theirs at the same time with you, the price for each drops to 52.00. You'll each need a food grade 5 gallon bucket to transfer the product...or several smaller ones. I am expecting no coconut scent or taste.

I have also purchased from
http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/bulkoil/a-c.php $136.00 but not at that price. No coconut scent or taste.

Choices you can make based on your finances.

I have a pricey bucket of Tropical Traditions Virgin Coconut Oil (with coconut flavor and scent) (that I bought during a sale) and it can be a turn off with some foods. And if you get sick, it's quite nauseating to smell when others are frying foods and you cannot fathom eating a thing. So it's been tucked in the cool basement since 2007. It still works for me to brush my teeth or as facial moisturizer (takes so little). Hands, too, when I remember. Probably should put some in a container next to the kitchen sink...like I have in my bathroom.

I have also purchased no scent or taste coconut oil from Tropical Traditions as well as Wilderness Naturals. No scent or taste is best for cooking. Although I still like my little gallon of scented coconut oil from Tropical Traditions that I use for teeth brushing and face moisturizer.

norxgirl

AnnB,

Thank you so much for these sources. I probably do need to start buying in bulk, since we use it up so fast. I did get some from Tropical Traditions several years ago, and was disappointed that it did not have the coconut smell and flavor. Somehow, probably in my hypothyroid fatigue brain fog, I did not realize that it had been processed with steam.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
List updated. Thank you, Ann. :D

AnnB

This is where I get my gelatin...and came by UPS yesterday. In a bag, in a box. I use two Tablespoons per Campbell's Soup Cup. Water, gelatin, coffee, cocoa powder, sugar to taste (1/4 to 1/2 cup), butter, coconut oil, vanilla flavoring, salt, heavy cream (still contains carageenan, but when it's gone will be purchased no longer)

http://www.bulkfoods.com/whole-foods.asp?wholesale=4005

Product Name: Unflavored Gelatin 25 pounds
Product Price: $162.26
Quantity: 1

SubTotal: $162.26
Shipping: $5.00(UPS Economy 48 States)
Packing: $0.00
State Tax: $0.00
Country Tax: $0.00
Grand Total: $167.26

RE: Carageenan in heavy cream. A customer comment/request will be made to Costco every time I shop there to ask Darigold to stop adding carageenan to the cream...or to offer one without it. I am also e-mailing Darigold today to make that request. If we all ask...perhaps they will follow through. And perhaps if we offer the research for it as well. It is an added expense that is not necessary. I grew up on farm fresh dairy, so I know carageenan is not necessary for recipe success.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I wonder how the quality of that gelatin is. If its good stuff, thats a pretty good deal. Beats the $130 I just paid for 10 pounds of the green can stuff from Great Lakes gelatin. I would much rather get the 25 pounds for that price.

Birdie

Nick810 said:
Hey Birdie,
Do you use a lot of the dry milk powder? After seeing it in your thread I've been using it lots and it seems amazing!

Charlie,
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W7 ... =rapefo-20
Sorry, I just now saw this. I only use the dry milk powder when making ray's ice cream. And it seems I haven't had time to even do that lately. But, I agree it's good stuff.

Birdie

Nick810 said:
Pretty sure Sun Maid Raisins have oil added to them?

Edit: how's that drink powder, good alternative to using pasteurized milk?
I don't know about the oil, Nick. It's not listed as far as I remember, but maybe ... .?

AnnB

http://elitealternatives.net/shop/great ... f-gelatin/
Great Lakes Gelatin is the purified protein derived by the selective hydrolysis of collagen from the skin, the connective tissue, and/or bones of animals. It is the only gelatin we have found that comes from an excellent source . It comes from Argentina from healthy beef that have been grass fed . Gelatin is an excellent source of protein, and cannot be recovered from hoofs, horn or non-collagen parts of vertebrate animals. There are no plant sources of gelatin. Great Lakes Gelatin is prepared under the most rigid sanitary conditions.

http://www.bulkfoods.com/nutrition-fact ... odID=40051
Product of Argentina

Same stuff, different packaging and therefore pricing. Buy it in bulk and save a lot of money for some good steak and cola. Ha!

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
WOW!! Wish I could send back the 10 pounds I just bought. :banghead

AnnB

Would make nice gifts for Xmas to friends and family and then when you all need more, all of you can make the bulk purchase and refill your containers.