Comments on labs during my descent into estrogen dominance?

Peata

I've had hormonal problems since puberty, so I'll just fast-forward to my mid/late 30s, specifically late summer 2010 when it was as though a switch was flipped and things started snowballing on me. Explosion of cystic acne, greasy skin, gallbladder trouble (that at the time I knew had to be related to hormones but didn't know how or what to do about it, and all doctors want to do is cut it out), more anxiety than usual, alcohol consumption doubled or tripled, digestive problems, poor sleep, and so on....

I won't go into the whole medical adventure that had me wrapped up for the next couple years, but here's what I'm wondering:

I had blood work done in 2010, a month or so after the ED really took off... and again in early 2012 - all of this prePeat. I am just wondering if the numbers mean anything to those of you well versed in it, and that the info could be useful for me now looking at it from a Peat perspective which I did not have back at the time. Do these results say anything about what was going when my Estrogen Dominance spiraled out of control.

I didn't put all the results from the chemistry, but if there's anything else such as BUN, Creatinine, Bilirubins, RBC, etc. just ask. I did get a more thorough cholesterol panel in 2012 and asked for a couple extra things like the C-Reactive Protein.

Oh, and ultrasounds in 2012 showed I have "a bit of fatty liver", which I was also told by doctor that once you get it, it's there to stay.

Thanks for any and all comments.

Sept. 2010
(coming off a diet with lots of evoo, cheese, butter, cream, veggies, meat, starches, fairly low sugar, lots of red wine)

Calcium: 9 (8.5-10.1)
Sodium: 141 (136-145)
Potassium: 3.4 (3.5-5.1)
Chloride: 101 (100-108)
CO2: 31.8 (21-32)
ALT: 28 (30-65)
AST: 16 (0-50)
Cholesterol: 193 (120-200)

TSH: 1.46 (0.3 - 5.5)

Jan. 2012
(Diet at time was fairly low-carb, lots of Intermittent Fasting, lots of red wine)

Calcium: 9.1 (8.5-10.1)
Sodium: 140 (136-145)
Potassium: 3.6 (3.5-5.1)
Chloride: 102 (100-108)
C02: 26 (21-32)
ALT: 19 (12-78)
AST: 10 (15-37)
Cholesterol: 199 (120-200)
Triglycerides: 60 (30-200)
HDL: 69 (40-60)
LDL: 118 (0-130)

TSH: 1.100 (0.358-3.740)

C-Reactive Protein: 0.29 (0.00-0.30)
A1C: 5.1 (4.3-6.1)

OP
Peata

Peata

Re: Comments on labs during my descent into estrogen dominan

Adding, that my weight during the 2010 tests was in the normal range for me, and in 2012, I was actually below my normal "set-point"- in fact, almost getting too thin for me.

It was late in 2012 and earlier this year, 2013, that I started putting on some pounds and finding it impossible to lose the weight I wanted to lose (I am not overweight but am above my normal set-point).

I started Peat'g mid-March 2013.

marcar72

This may be hard to take Peata and some people will deny it to the death, but from a few posts that I've read of yours it sounds as if you've got a problem with alcohol. That's the big red flag I see from this current post of yours. Your excessive abuse of alcohol is probably the cause of your fatty liver. Alcohol is very estrogenic as well, which probably has a lot to do with your estrogen dominance. Alcohol reeks havoc on the human body, pretty much everywhere and anywhere. You post as if alcohol consumption is a result of your current issues, like it's one of the symptoms of something else and just happened to flare up recently. This seems to indicate that you have no control over your alcohol consumption, in other words you sound like the stereotypical alcoholic of the binge drinking variety. You may want to seek out some help with this little drinking problem of yours. Google Alcoholics Anonymous for more info. :2cents

HDD

IIRC, Peata has been observing the desire for alcohol increases as her nutrients decrease.

"by haidut » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:06 pm

Hi all,

I seem to remember that in several of his articles Ray Peat talks about "addiction" and how he doesn't believe the condition actually exists. I think he said something along the lines that "people do things that they perceive making them feel better" and once the stressor is removed the "addiction" stops by itself. Well, a famous study done in the late 1970s seems to confirm that view:"

This is a quote from this thread-

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2290&hilit=Alcoholism

OP
Peata

Peata

marcar72 said:
This may be hard to take Peata and some people will deny it to the death, but from a few posts that I've read of yours it sounds as if you've got a problem with alcohol. That's the big red flag I see from this current post of yours. Your excessive abuse of alcohol is probably the cause of your fatty liver. Alcohol is very estrogenic as well, which probably has a lot to do with your estrogen dominance. Alcohol reeks havoc on the human body, pretty much everywhere and anywhere.

I am not going to debate, but only speak from my own experience and let it go. Yes, there's no denying I've had a problem with alcohol, and I know it stems from my metabolic/hormonal/nutrition issues, which have caused estrogen dominance, anxiety, depression, alcohol craving, PCOS, IR, and other things. Yes, alcohol is estrogenic and did make ED worse (and that was a huge incentive to not poison myself with it) but I've had ED pretty much my whole life. I've searched since I was a young teenager to find out what was at the root of my problems, and it's only since finding RP that I started to see where it all leads back to. My ED truly ramped up around age 37, which I've since read is common - women in late 30s often get worse with these symptoms.

marcar72 said:
You post as if alcohol consumption is a result of your current issues, like it's one of the symptoms of something else and just happened to flare up recently.

I absolutely believe this. It may not be a popular viewpoint, but it's my own experience. I can see flare-ups of cravings during certain hormonal times and during times of acute stress when I let my nutrition slack.

marcar72 said:
This seems to indicate that you have no control over your alcohol consumption, in other words you sound like the stereotypical alcoholic of the binge drinking variety. You may want to seek out some help with this little drinking problem of yours. Google Alcoholics Anonymous for more info. :2cents

Thanks, but I know now that I DO have control over my alcohol consumption. Some would say that me stating that means I'm an alcoholic. Others would say I have to admit I have no control or I'm an alcoholic. I believe that due to my metabolic/hormonal/nutrition issues that may have started even before I was born, I do have a tendency toward alcohol, as one way my body copes with stressors (whether it be low thyroid, nutrition, life matters). In other people, this may manifest as some health condition or something else as we're all a little different.

But at any rate, I now know that when I keep my systems in order with plenty of nutrition in right amounts, I have no cravings, no interest at all EVEN during stressful times where I would normally dive into a bottle.

Speaking on other health issues, such as ED, I still have a way to go to get my system completely humming - but don't we all have something we are here to work on, or multiple things? I may yet have to go on thyroid though I've been trying very hard to correct things without it, just by diet and other supplements. I've been Peat'g for over 6 months, making adjustments and things are clicking.

I try to be open and honest on the forum because I want help with Peat stuff and if it could help anyone else, that's great. But everything I do and say here applies to me - it's just my experiences and not meant to be protocols or dx for anyone else. Being open and honest on the internet can draw criticisms, judgments, and so forth, but I do it anyway as it's actually less than what I would get in "real life", and I suppose those around me in real life can enjoy the benefits of what I've learned and applied that is making me a happier, healthier person.

Thank you for your concern though.

Diane said it well in her post above mine.