Combining Mirtazapine With Ciproheptadine, Advice Needed

Im on 45 mg mirtazapine for my chronic insomnia. It seems that Im getting tolerate, yesterday I took 60mg to fall asleep. The problem is 60mg per day becomes a financial burden for me, actually 45mg is already a load. Id like to stay on 45mg and even lover it to 30mg. Have anyone experienced cipro and mirta combination in order to increase sedation and lower mirta dosage?

broozer

dude, in lower doses mirta increases sedation. but in higher ones it acutally increases wakefulness. maybe try 7,5mg.
since when u been taking it? edema, waightgain an issue?

DaveFoster

I've taken both. Cyproheptadine may or may not increase the serum concentration of mirtazapine, and 60 mg of mirtazapine stands above the maximum "safe" prescribed dosage of 45 mg. Higher dosages of mirtazapine can cause torsades de pointes (ventricular tachycardia) and sudden death.

OP
methylenewhite
dude, in lower doses mirta increases sedation. but in higher ones it acutally increases wakefulness. maybe try 7,5mg.
since when u been taking it? edema, waightgain an issue?
I know but i does not shut me down. No weight gain issues, Im getting some muscle mass on it and actually Iv'e lost some fat on it. I started from 7.5 with no luck, then 15, with then 30. The only dosage that got me sleeping was 45. So my starting dosage was 45mg since the beginning. I need to mention that I can get any prescription with no question asked. It stopped to work. Today I needed 60 again to fall asleep. Sedative part of it works via histamine, and small dosage should be more sedative, well its not my case.

Scubagirl

I just started Mirtz yesterday for insomnia. I tried taking 7.5mg. It didn’t make me tired so I took another half about 2 hours later. It seemed to help racing thoughts but it did not knock me out. I just took 3.5mg from reading posts that the sedation happens at the lower dose. I also took melatonin.

I have taken ambien, which worked but the new generic doesn’t do anything. I have been on seroquel & lithium. I have tried tamezepan which did work for a few months but started causing severe stomach issues. I have tried other meds.

After you take the Mirtz how long does it make for you to feel tired. Does it feel more like ambien or natural tiredness.

I can’t figure out what dose to take. Any thoughts?

OP
methylenewhite
For me sleep inducing dosage was 45mg but now even this dose now alone can get me sleeping. My current mix is 45mg of mirta+100mg valerian extract+1000mg aspirin+rapadura+cheese. I wake up at least 2 times per night to eat some sweets or I cant sleep. I tried a couple of days to take 60mg of mirta to sleep, but next day feels really strange and groggy. And as DaveFoster mentioned it is dangerous dosage.

olive

As far as I know mirtazipine is only sedating at low doses. At 7.5mg it’s a powerful histamine antagonist. However at higher doses it behaves differently, at 45mg it acts as a stimulant and antidepressant via the alpha-2 receptor.

7.5mg-15mg for sleep and lowering cortisol.
30-45mg for antidepressant and appetite stimulant effect.

OP
methylenewhite
As far as I know mirtazipine is only sedating at low doses. At 7.5mg it’s a powerful histamine antagonist. However at higher doses it behaves differently, at 45mg it acts as a stimulant and antidepressant via the alpha-2 receptor.

7.5mg-15mg for sleep and lowering cortisol.
30-45mg for antidepressant and appetite stimulant effect.
Unfortunately not my case. I already explained it above.

olive

I wake up at least 2 times per night to eat some sweets or I cant sleep.
This isn’t normal. You should focus on improving your glycogen storage by improving liver function and increasing lean mass before taking more pharmaceuticals to induce sleep. Taurine, b vitamins, caffeine, heavy lifting, sprints etc.

Also try chamomile tea and glycine pre-bed.

It’s also important to spend time in the sun in the AM. Especially the eyes.

Last edited:
OP
methylenewhite
My cat has broken my cypro syrup. Mirtazapine has stopped to work at 45mg dose so I decided to stop taking it and do not up it to 60mg. Went cold turkey without tapering.

CaliforniaKat

My cat has broken my cypro syrup. Mirtazapine has stopped to work at 45mg dose so I decided to stop taking it and do not up it to 60mg. Went cold turkey without tapering.

How is your sleep now that you have stopped? Are you taking anything to sleep now? Did you have any withdrawal, insomnia, etc?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom