Colostrum Decreases Serotonin Production In Rat Brain

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
Effects of colostrum serum on the serotonergic system in the dorsal raphe nuclei of exercised rats

The fatigue that accompanies exercise is thought to originate from metabolic changes in muscle, such as muscle exhaustion and modifications of the CNS resulting in a decrease in motor neuron impulses to muscles8, 23, 24. The increased brain TPH concentrations and 5-HT synthesis induced by exercise may promote central fatigue and suboptimal exercise performance 24.

Serotonin is mainly synthesized from serotonergic neurons in the raphe nuclei, which regulate the release of serotonin throughout the brain, and from neurosecretory cells in the pineal gland25-27. TPH is a crucial enzyme for the regulation of both serotonin synthesis and levels. The serotonin transporters (5-HTT) and 5-HT1A/5-HT1B autoreceptors also play important roles in the regulation of extracellular levels of serotonin in the raphe nuclei. Increased TPH activity during prolonged exercise increases the activity of serotonin, and this situation may cause a loss of central motivation and drive, and increase the lethargy that underlies fatigue28. Previous studies have shown that excessive exercise can lead to increased serotonin synthesis and TPH expression in the dorsal raphe nuclei, and this was linked to exhaustion during running7, 29.

Our study found that endurance exercise performance was effectively enhanced in the group that received colostrum serum compared to the control group. Furthermore, in addition to the enhancement of exercise performance, the expressions of 5-HT, TPH, 5-HT1A, and 5-HTT were suppressed in the dorsal raphe nuclei of the animals that received colostrum serum. These results suggest that colostrum serum (100 mg/kg) increased exercise performance and inhibited the serotonergic system in the dorsal raphe nuclei.

Colostrum intake for six weeks has been shown to enhance immunity, reduce the concentration of creatine kinase (an indicator of muscle damage), and reduce the concentration of immunoglobulin G (IgG), while also increasing the concentration of cortisol. These effects improve the resistance against stress in marathon athletes30. Moreover, colostrum intake for nine weeks has been shown to increase the resilience of elite female rowing athletes31. Furthermore, a low dose of colostrum enhanced the athletic performance of cycling athletes during high-intensity training32. However, in a study involving two separate tests of physical performance in exercises of gradually increasing intensity to reach exhaustion separated by a 20 min partial recovery, colostrum intake for eight weeks did not induce performance differences during the first trial. However, after 20 min of passive recovery, exercise performance was shown to be increased by 5.2% on average during the second trial33. These results suggest a potential role for colostrum in increasing resilience and the resistance against fatigue. The immunological factors and bioactive substances that are present in colostrum are mainly constituents of colostrum serum. These include immune system molecules, growth factors, antibodies, vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and amino acids34. The major bioactive components of colostrum include IgG, tumor necrosis factor (TNF), interleukin-1,2,6 (IL-1,2,6), lactoferrin (LF), transforming growth factor (TGF), insulin-like growth factor (IGF-1,2), epidermal growth factor (EGF), and platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF)35-37. The molecular weight of these bioactive molecules ranges from 5–10 kDa, and colostrum contains 10 to 500 times more of these bioactive substances than normal milk.

Effects of colostrum serum on the serotonergic system in the dorsal raphe nuclei of exercised rats

P

Peatness

I found a relatively good priced organic colostrum for dogs, would this be suitable for human consumption?

OccamzRazer

P

Peatness

Haha you are? Figured you'd been Peating for a while.

IMO it's kind of like eating eggs. Does Dr. Peat avoid eggs, or just fry them in coconut oil?
Even though I've been peating for a long time I started with high pufa and I didn't do low fat at the start. Even now pufa is there in milk, eggs and the occassional sardines.

Lollipop2

This is high pufa
I wonder about the benefits vs the PUFA in small quantities. Colostrum seems to be highly protective. Who knows? I am not familiar enough with it. But this brand seems to be the best.

Lollipop2

Eh, not too concerned about the PUFA contained in 1 tsp/day.
This is my thought as well. Maybe the benefit outweighs the PUFA in small doses. I am not schooled in Colostrum except for some brief searches. This brand seems to be the best.

P

Peatness

I wonder about the benefits vs the PUFA in small quantities. Colostrum seems to be highly protective. Who knows? I am not familiar enough with it. But this brand seems to be the best.
Pufa aside, on what basis is this brand the best? This question is also directed at @OccamzRazer . Thanks