Colostrum (bovine) Supplement

managing

RP does mention colostrum (human) and its positive, but he isn't actually recommending a supplement of it either (or bovine source). But he is generally positive about cow's milk in general.

But does anybody have any thoughts, from RP or otherwise, on bovine colostrum supplement.

I began it just yesterday and WOW! You know that feeling you get from consumption of a lot of Fructose? Sinuses open up (even if not "restricted" before), calmer, stronger, more energetic, etc. Clearly effecting CO2/mitochondria in a positive way.

Any other thoughts/experiences.

Reminds me of the south park episode on stem cells :lol:

Dante

RP does mention colostrum (human) and its positive, but he isn't actually recommending a supplement of it either (or bovine source). But he is generally positive about cow's milk in general.

But does anybody have any thoughts, from RP or otherwise, on bovine colostrum supplement.

I began it just yesterday and WOW! You know that feeling you get from consumption of a lot of Fructose? Sinuses open up (even if not "restricted" before), calmer, stronger, more energetic, etc. Clearly effecting CO2/mitochondria in a positive way.

which brand ?

Evan

I was thinking about getting some after years of not eating it because its so expensive, but surthrival probably has then purest product on the market. Made the best smoothies, the creaminess is out of this world

BobbyDukes

I was thinking about getting some after years of not eating it because its so expensive, but surthrival probably has then purest product on the market. Made the best smoothies, the creaminess is out of this world

An expensive smoothie texture enhancer. Anything in terms of actual effects? I guess you went years without it, so couldn't have been that great. With Surthrival, I had big hopes for their pine pollen/antler tinctures, but both (extremely expensive) products did nothing with continued months of use. The guys who run that company are making a lot of money with their snakeoil products. I never went ahead with their colostrum (that was on my 'to-do' list). I noticed effects from antler/pine pollen basic extracts purchased from (way) less expensive companies, in comparison.

Emstar1892

Why are you taking it?

I take jarrow, 3 a day, and lactoferrin on top. It's been 2 weeks. My digestion is better. As soon as i started though my lymph nodes became sore, and now I've come down with the worst flu in the world and I haven't been sick in a year (on the way out now though). I'm hoping that it's woken up my immune system from its slumber!

Even though I add lactoferrin there's some in colostrum anyway - I do this because I want my body to utilise my iron more efficiently.

OP
managing

managing

Why are you taking it?

I take jarrow, 3 a day, and lactoferrin on top. It's been 2 weeks. My digestion is better. As soon as i started though my lymph nodes became sore, and now I've come down with the worst flu in the world and I haven't been sick in a year (on the way out now though). I'm hoping that it's woken up my immune system from its slumber!

Even though I add lactoferrin there's some in colostrum anyway - I do this because I want my body to utilise my iron more efficiently.
Ironically, I take it because of endotoxin symptoms . . . such as swollen lymph nodes.

I haven't added lactoferrin yet (its on the way). Here are some thoughts. Lactoferrin is very active in iron transport. My understanding is that it facilitates it moving around and supposedly will get it into the right places. So its possible that your symptoms are related to iron moving around. Theoretically, and there is strong (but not conclusive) evidence to support this, it will quickly eliminate overloads (like in liver, other organs, fat) and get it into red blood cells where it is needed.

Its also possible its a Herxheimer. If lactoferrin sequesters iron in the GI and makes it unavailable for gram- bacteria and/or yeasts, they would die off and create flu-like symptoms. Quite bad potentially.

So, if it were me, especially because you say it is subsiding, I think I'd stay with it a bit longer. If you choose to, please report back in a few more weeks!

Emstar1892

Ironically, I take it because of endotoxin symptoms . . . such as swollen lymph nodes.

I haven't added lactoferrin yet (its on the way). Here are some thoughts. Lactoferrin is very active in iron transport. My understanding is that it facilitates it moving around and supposedly will get it into the right places. So its possible that your symptoms are related to iron moving around. Theoretically, and there is strong (but not conclusive) evidence to support this, it will quickly eliminate overloads (like in liver, other organs, fat) and get it into red blood cells where it is needed.

Ha, yeah I have those endotoxin symptoms - the nodes are all swollen and hard and have been for a couple of years, however, they were never painful until I started taking colostrum. After a lot of reading I came to interpret the new pain as a positive rather than negative sign - as long as it's relatively transient. We'll see ;)

Yes, I agree on the lactoferrin part - it's only my ferritin that's relatively low whereas other markers are fine so I also reckon it's more of a transport/sequestering bacteria issue as opposed to an intake/absorption issue. And yes I also agree on the Herx thesis, interestingly some researchers conducted a study recently (blind clinicaltrail) withplacebo vs a new antiviral drug on CFS patients with viral antibodies - those who got better (which was a significant amount) always declined first. Can't for the life of me find the paper now.

What form of lactoferrin have you gone for? I went for Jarrow again because of an amazon deal but my next purchase will be Life Extension as they distribute an apalactoferrin form - a form with much less iron but potent antiviral properties (which are negligible in lactoferrin).

And yes of course, I will definitely update!

Evan

@BobbyDukes yeah my digestion was great, my immune system seem to be better, I got less sick but this was around the time I was vegetarian and didn't even know about Ray Peat. I think today I would love to add it back into my diet, it's just one of those foods with an excellent nutritive profile, it's just really expensive if you eat a lot of it (which I was) I would say it's in the class up there with liver and oysters in terms of nutrition and therapeutic ability. Surthrival is expensive but it's not denatured and high quality.

PakPik

As soon as i started though my lymph nodes became sore, and now I've come down with the worst flu in the world and I haven't been sick in a year (on the way out now though). I'm hoping that it's woken up my immune system from its slumber!

Hi! This is not the first time I've read such reaction happens. It basically always goes like this: "I took lactoferrin, and after X number of days I got the worst flu ever in a long time. Swollen nodes and all. It was worse than anything I had gone through in a long time that I can remember".

They also say that it's better to taper down if you need to come off it, not do it suddenly or it will create bad reactions.

I'd love to know what exactly is going on with people when they get this common reaction to lactoferrin -another topic on my to do list that I need to research better :). I personally agree that it has the characteristics of a herx. And I suspect this is true since regular lactoferrin is said to inject reactive iron through the bacteria wall and it makes them explode!:shock: That can surely be a source of a bunch of endotoxins and all of those infectious antigenic nasties flooding the bloodstream.

It is my understanding regular lactoferrin injects this reactive iron to bacteria, therefore it is good as an antibacterial agent, whereas apolactoferrin is devoid of iron/or doesn't do that and so it is not as good for bacteria as it is for virus (more topics I need to dig in deeper). Maybe combining both or pulsing them would be a better idea (in regards of a broader anti infectious measure) than focusing only on one type?

Please beware that some people report getting desentisized when chronically taking lactoferrin. It kinda maches the results of this mouse study, where they found "Chronic ingestion of lactoferrin reduces its uptake, probably through mechanisms such as immune exclusion, which minimize potential harmful reactions to food products." Uptake of ingested bovine lactoferrin and its accumulation in adult mouse tissues. - PubMed - NCBI. Another point for taking breaks, it seems.

I personally started lactoferrin+colostrum a few weeks ago, but have been pulsing it to avoid all of the potential issues mentioned before. I also need to research its exact effect on immune system so that I may be able to get an idea on how to use it more efficiently without negatively impacting my other therapeutic measures. (for example, the immunomudolation one may get from chronic lactoferrin+colostrum use may or may not be beneficial -even detrimental- for the issues one may be facing. This goes for all supplements/substances that make an impact on the immune system).

All in all, it can sure be a good addition to the arsenal if used correctly. Please keep us posted if you continue to use it!

OP
managing

managing

Hi! This is not the first time I've read such reaction happens. It basically always goes like this: "I took lactoferrin, and after X number of days I got the worst flu ever in a long time. Swollen nodes and all. It was worse than anything I had gone through in a long time that I can remember".

They also say that it's better to taper down if you need to come off it, not do it suddenly or it will create bad reactions.

I'd love to know what exactly is going on with people when they get this common reaction to lactoferrin -another topic on my to do list that I need to research better :). I personally agree that it has the characteristics of a herx. And I suspect this is true since regular lactoferrin is said to inject reactive iron through the bacteria wall and it makes them explode!:shock: That can surely be a source of a bunch of endotoxins and all of those infectious antigenic nasties flooding the bloodstream.

It is my understanding regular lactoferrin injects this reactive iron to bacteria, therefore it is good as an antibacterial agent, whereas apolactoferrin is devoid of iron/or doesn't do that and so it is not as good for bacteria as it is for virus (more topics I need to dig in deeper). Maybe combining both or pulsing them would be a better idea (in regards of a broader anti infectious measure) than focusing only on one type?

Please beware that some people report getting desentisized when chronically taking lactoferrin. It kinda maches the results of this mouse study, where they found "Chronic ingestion of lactoferrin reduces its uptake, probably through mechanisms such as immune exclusion, which minimize potential harmful reactions to food products." Uptake of ingested bovine lactoferrin and its accumulation in adult mouse tissues. - PubMed - NCBI. Another point for taking breaks, it seems.

I personally started lactoferrin+colostrum a few weeks ago, but have been pulsing it to avoid all of the potential issues mentioned before. I also need to research its exact effect on immune system so that I may be able to get an idea on how to use it more efficiently without negatively impacting my other therapeutic measures. (for example, the immunomudolation one may get from chronic lactoferrin+colostrum use may or may not be beneficial -even detrimental- for the issues one may be facing. This goes for all supplements/substances that make an impact on the immune system).

All in all, it can sure be a good addition to the arsenal if used correctly. Please keep us posted if you continue to use it!
Can you describe what yu mean by "pulsing"?

PakPik

Can you describe what yu mean by "pulsing"?
I got the idea of pulsing substances from the infectious disease world. In a nutshell what I mean by it is taking a supplement in cycles (moderate-to-high doses during a few days/weeks followed by breaks, then rinse and repeat) so that hopefully its efficacy doesn't disappear (the body doesn't get desensitized, hopefully won't lose efficacy against pathogens, etc...). Also to minimize possible long-term bad/unbalancing effects from daily use.
Here they mention some of the discoveries pertaining applications on infectious diseases: Researchers’ discovery may explain difficulty in treating Lyme disease | news @ Northeastern

OP
managing

managing

I got the idea of pulsing substances from the infectious disease world. In a nutshell what I mean by it is taking a supplement in cycles (moderate-to-high doses during a few days/weeks followed by breaks, then rinse and repeat) so that hopefully its efficacy doesn't disappear (the body doesn't get desensitized, hopefully won't lose efficacy against pathogens, etc...). Also to minimize possible long-term bad/unbalancing effects from daily use.
Here they mention some of the discoveries pertaining applications on infectious diseases: Researchers’ discovery may explain difficulty in treating Lyme disease | news @ Northeastern
That is awesome info. Thanks @PakPik

OP
managing

managing

So yesterday it was time to take colostrum and I also wanted some sweet and salty milk. Couldn't see any reason not to do them together, so I did. Not sure what it was but a powerful feeling of happiness/contentedness/calm ensued. Not sedation, quite alert and focused, just really calm and happy. Tried it again today. Same result.

Obviously milk and colostrum kind of go together. Kind of. Actually, colostrum comes first, but same source. Any thoughts beyond that? Next I will try larger dose, with milk.

Kennya

Interesting. I started taking Jarrow apolactoferrin a month ago. Haven’t been sick in 4 years, and I’ve been sick twice in 3 weeks. Maybe it was die off after all...

accelerator

So yesterday it was time to take colostrum and I also wanted some sweet and salty milk. Couldn't see any reason not to do them together, so I did. Not sure what it was but a powerful feeling of happiness/contentedness/calm ensued. Not sedation, quite alert and focused, just really calm and happy. Tried it again today. Same result.

Obviously milk and colostrum kind of go together. Kind of. Actually, colostrum comes first, but same source. Any thoughts beyond that? Next I will try larger dose, with milk.

Did you continue it?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals