Colloidal Silver

yerrag

@Nikki has this to say from Estimating Glomerular Filtration Rate (GFR)- Is There A Pharma Bias?:

To prevent UTI, my dad takes 2 tbsp twice a day of mesosilver. It has worked beautifully for the last couple of years. I take 1tsp twice daily (I am petite) and avoid the flu (and who knows what else) with this dose. My friend's mom is given a large dose of buffered vitamin C at night on an empty stomach and that is reportedly controlling her UTIs. Controlling UTI is very important in the elderly. People don't realize how much a UTI can affect an elderly person's mentation.

OP
E

EIRE24

@Nikki has this to say from Estimating Glomerular Filtration Rate (GFR)- Is There A Pharma Bias?:

To prevent UTI, my dad takes 2 tbsp twice a day of mesosilver. It has worked beautifully for the last couple of years. I take 1tsp twice daily (I am petite) and avoid the flu (and who knows what else) with this dose. My friend's mom is given a large dose of buffered vitamin C at night on an empty stomach and that is reportedly controlling her UTIs. Controlling UTI is very important in the elderly. People don't realize how much a UTI can affect an elderly person's mentation.
Thank you for the reply. I am clueless when it comes to silver apart from what @Travis has informed me about. Would silver still be a metal though and a stress on the body like iron or is this totally different. Sorry if it is a stupid question.

yerrag

Thank you for the reply. I am clueless when it comes to silver apart from what @Travis has informed me about. Would silver still be a metal though and a stress on the body like iron or is this totally different. Sorry if it is a stupid question.
You're welcome. I don't think I can even call myself knowledgeable on it. I only got to have an appreciation for it indirectly, as haidut has told me in a thread on "copper complexes (do a title search on it)" that copper, silver, and gold all have similar antibacterial properties. I learned to make my own copper acetate solution from the thread, and used it, together with vitamin C, to rescue my cat from a case of feline distemper, for which I've seen many of my kittens die from. I wasn't sure whether it was the vitamin C or the copper acetate, but I'd like to believe that they were acting synergistically.

It makes me wish that I had jumped aboard the silver colloidal train with Nikki the moment she mentioned it, as I think it would have helped my mom deal with her recurring UTI. When I finally decided to order Mesosilver colloidal silver, it was too late as my mom had died before I received the colloidal silver. Certainly it was my reticence that caused the delay.

There are many products that claim to be colloidal silver but aren't. Mesosilver is true colloidal silver, and is rather pricey when compared to the wannabes. I don't have article that explains true colloidal silver from the interlopers, but I think you can do a search and find a good explanation of true colloidal silver. If not, let me know so I can search out the article.

Travis

You're welcome. I don't think I can even call myself knowledgeable on it. I only got to have an appreciation for it indirectly, as haidut has told me in a thread on "copper complexes (do a title search on it)" that copper, silver, and gold all have similar antibacterial properties. I learned to make my own copper acetate solution from the thread, and used it, together with vitamin C, to rescue my cat from a case of feline distemper, for which I've seen many of my kittens die from. I wasn't sure whether it was the vitamin C or the copper acetate, but I'd like to believe that they were acting synergistically.

It makes me wish that I had jumped aboard the silver colloidal train with Nikki the moment she mentioned it, as I think it would have helped my mom deal with her recurring UTI. When I finally decided to order Mesosilver colloidal silver, it was too late as my mom had died before I received the colloidal silver. Certainly it was my reticence that caused the delay.

There are many products that claim to be colloidal silver but aren't. Mesosilver is true colloidal silver, and is rather pricey when compared to the wannabes. I don't have article that explains true colloidal silver from the interlopers, but I think you can do a search and find a good explanation of true colloidal silver. If not, let me know so I can search out the article.

It shouldn't be pricey one bit. I still have my 99.999% silver wire that I bought a decade ago for $20. Although silver is an even better electrical conductor than copper, I'm fairly certain that silver metal this pure is only produced for jewelry purposes. But essentially, you can buy at least one lifetime's worth of silver for about twenty USD. And to make electrically-generated silver ions (Ag⁺), all that one needs to do is neatly MavGuyver an old cell phone charger.

Silver ions are unarguably the most selective antibacterial agent known, at least certainly among the metal ions. Following behind silver appears to be mercury, but since this is also toxic for vertebrates it lacks specificity. The review articles on 'The Mechanism of Silver Action' commonly invoke a thiol mechanism, but if silver primarily worked in this way it would of course be less effective than Hg²⁺—not more as most always observed. This is because the mercury (II) ion binds thiol groups with much higher affinity than silver.

Although more similar to Hg²⁺ in such things like IC₅₀ values and the reduction of bacterial cell counts, it appears to be closest to Cu²⁺ in its mechanism of action. Silver has one unique proclivity inside of a cell, and that is that it very strongly binds DNA. This had been known since the '60s, and many routine laboratory procedures for purifying nucleic acids involved using silver for the precipitation DNA. Although all small cations will bind DNA to some extent, as measured through most techniques, ever single one tested besides Ag⁺ and Cu²⁺ appear to bind to the phosphate backbone—and copper a bit less so: Silver is the only metal ion which can interpose itself between paired helical strands and bind them together, preventing dehybridization, subsequent replication, and bacterial proliferation. This has been shown using melting points, with nothing preventing DNA from unfurling to the same extent (if at all). And binding data reveal that silver binds selectively to cytosine–guanidine pairs, leaving adenosine–thymine pretty much alone until the others have been saturated.

The specificity can now be explained simply by noting that mammals have high 5-methylcytosine concentrations at CpG islands, long stretches of cytosine–guanidine pairs. This methylated cytosine binds Ag²⁺ a bit less than cytosine, and the majority of microbial silver resistance could very well depend on bacterial 5-methylcytosine synthesis (which some actually do make, albeit much less consistently than vertebrates).

Thurman, R. "The molecular mechanisms of copper and silver ion disinfection of bacteria and viruses." Critical reviews in environmental science and technology (1989)
Ihara, T. "Silver ion unusually stabilizes the structure of a parallel-motif DNA triplex." Journal of the American Chemical Society (2009)
Ono, A. "Specific interactions between silver (I) ions and cytosine–cytosine pairs in DNA duplexes." Chemical communications (2008)

Ray Peat doesn’t like colloidal silver.

M-dog

Colloidal silver is a big NO NO for Andrew Cutler, the expert in mercury and heavy metal poisoning.
Few quotes from him:
"Never use colloidal silver. It is no less poison than vaccine or amalgam filling mercury. Never go back to that MD. Next time he gives you poison you might take it before you ask. "

"Giving colloidal silver to a 5 year old is a great way to give them epilepsy or a personality disorder."

"Colloidal silver (unlike larger scale silver particles) dissolves and will poison you. It is a biocide just like mercurochrome and merthiolate - heavy metals kill all life. When applied topically they just kill surface microbes before killing the organism - you - that the microbes are on. Of course, before it kills you, you get miserably sick and with silver that generally involves brain electrical activity problems."

"This is not a theoretical risk, I've consulted on cases where some criminal quack got the parents to feed their kid a lot of colloidal silver and they developed epilepsy as a result, and know of cases where adults used it and developed personality disorders. I've also seen high silver in many of the hair tests I've seen from epileptics. "

yerrag

It really depends on whether you want to believe Andy Cutler. Do a search on posts by burtlancast on him, and decide for yourself if you want to trust Andy Cutler as an expert on heavy metal detox. And if you want to believe him on colloidal silver as well.

I believe haidut isn't too fond of it either

pauljacob

Since Colloidal Silver kills all bacteria good and bad, isn't it compromising or outright exposing the gut to all kind of disease?

dont do it... some guy's skin literally turned all blue from it.. i think that is enough to tell you not to do it..

pauljacob

dont do it... some guy's skin literally turned all blue from it.. i think that is enough to tell you not to do it..
His name is Karason and he made the wrong kind of CS and he drank it heavily for years. He was careless and misinformed.

M-dog

So I read some of burtlancast posts, what stikes me is:
  • burtlancast suggest doing provocation tests -bad thing
  • advises infrequent IV chelation -bad thing
  • claims that Cutler advises use of chlorella, coriander - lie. Cutler was against both of them.
People had great progress on Cutlers protocol, i read testimonies on facebook group.

His name is Karason and he made the wrong kind of CS and he drank it heavily for years. He was careless and misinformed.

ok... i just dont see the point because there's other avenues to do what it supposedly does without the risk of turning you blue... i don't think it's worth the risk... but to each their own

Travis

Colloidal silver is a big NO NO for Andrew Cutler, the expert in mercury and heavy metal poisoning.
Few quotes from him:
"Never use colloidal silver. It is no less poison than vaccine or amalgam filling mercury. Never go back to that MD. Next time he gives you poison you might take it before you ask. "

"Giving colloidal silver to a 5 year old is a great way to give them epilepsy or a personality disorder."

"Colloidal silver (unlike larger scale silver particles) dissolves and will poison you. It is a biocide just like mercurochrome and merthiolate - heavy metals kill all life. When applied topically they just kill surface microbes before killing the organism - you - that the microbes are on. Of course, before it kills you, you get miserably sick and with silver that generally involves brain electrical activity problems."

"This is not a theoretical risk, I've consulted on cases where some criminal quack got the parents to feed their kid a lot of colloidal silver and they developed epilepsy as a result, and know of cases where adults used it and developed personality disorders. I've also seen high silver in many of the hair tests I've seen from epileptics. "
One of our forum members (@burtlancast) is convinced that Cutler is serving as a disinformation agent of the ADA (and perhaps the AMA), a limited hangout shepherding-type whose raison d'etre is to flock together as many amalgam-poisoned individuals as his popularity will allow onto which are given recommendations for doing nearly everything besides taking legal action. It's true that silver has some affinity for thiols, but to a much lesser extent than does Hg²⁺. Most scientists seem to consider Ag⁺ relatively nontoxic—perhaps even less than so selenium, copper, zinc, iron, and manganese, although it's not considered essential. This is a monovalent cation like K⁺ and Na⁺ and doesn't have the radical-generating redox activity as does iron and manganese (or nitrate). I would bet that the majority so-reported 'silver toxicity' actually stems from the use of silver nitrate (Ag⁺NO₃⁻), the most popular form, with the majority of the side-effects attributable to its downstream reactive nitrogen species: nitrogen dioxide, nitric oxide, and especially peroxynitrite are quite damaging. The argyria observed consequent of silver oxide ingestion actually demonstrates this element's general safety, as the skin color change merely indicates how much a person can actually have in their body without any having any other significant side effect. If I had to take a pick between Andrew Cutler giving an honest appraisal of of silver ions and him being disingenuous—perhaps to detract from mercury's toxicity by focusing on silver, also contained in amalgam fillings—I would choose the latter. The silver ion has a very good track record for safety and is highly effective. Only silver nano- and microparticles appear capable of absorbing enough light to change skin color, and I have seen no case reports of argyria being caused by the much smaller electrically-generated Ag⁺ ions.

yerrag

Since Colloidal Silver kills all bacteria good and bad, isn't it compromising or outright exposing the gut to all kind of disease?

I think that bacteria are pretty hardy. At the rate and the dosage colloidal silver is used, I can't see it really killing all bacteria in the gut. What it could do is to inhibit bacteria activity, kind of corralling them in so that it doesn't proliferate too much, but enough that the microbiome still does its job of symbiotically supporting our health. When colloidal silver is used, it's usually because the balance in the microbiome has changed to imbalance, and colloidal silver will start its job of reducing the bacterial population. It will probably end up killing more of the bacteria that has proliferated too much out of balance, since there are way too much of that bacteria. It's having a machine gun spraying bullets at a battlefield dominated by redshirts to blueshirts 10 to 1, the chances that 10x more redshirts would be killed is a logical and mathematical certainty. Certainly it would still leave more redshirts than the blueshirts among the survivors, but at that reduced level, the body would be able to come in and reestablish a salutary balance among the survivors.

When you start thinking less of genocide and thinking of peaceful coexistence, and avoid classifying bacteria into bad and good, just as we would view Popeye and Brutus, then you won't have to be desirous of finding an agent that would be selective in killing what's bad and sparing what's good. Perhaps it's why I prefer natural antibiotics that aren't so selective. Why are so many people having issues with candida, for example? Wasn't it due to use of pharma-grade antibiotics, that are selective, which ended up giving the candida fungus a leg up in establishing its dominance in the gut?

yerrag

ok... i just dont see the point because there's other avenues to do what it supposedly does without the risk of turning you blue... i don't think it's worth the risk... but to each their own
Here's a link to a website owned by the Colloidal Science Laboratory Inc. It is obviously pro-colloidal silver, but read the explanation as to why it isn't colloidal silver that caused argyria, the condition of turning skin blue from silver ions, not colloids :

The Blue Man - Mass Media Deception

The website explains the difference between colloidal silver and ionic silver. It says, among other things, that colloidal silver generators that can be purchased for home production of colloidal silver don't really produce colloidal silver, but instead produce mostly silver ions. Colloidal silver are silver particles, and so do not turn into silver compounds. And colloidal silver particles have large surface areas, as they can be made into nano-sized particles. The small the particle size, the larger the surface area. There's more explanations, FAQs, and studies contained in it.

I bought Mesosilver from Amazon on account of it, because I was questioning whether it makes sense to spend for an expensive product. Nothing is as expensive as a cheap product that doesn't deliver on its claims, right? It's better to spend more for a product that works. But I really haven't used Mesosilver yet to such an extent that I can say it works for me convincingly. So I'm not making a testimonial.

Mossy

Here's a link to a website owned by the Colloidal Science Laboratory Inc. It is obviously pro-colloidal silver, but read the explanation as to why it isn't colloidal silver that caused argyria, the condition of turning skin blue from silver ions, not colloids :

The website explains the difference between colloidal silver and ionic silver. It says, among other things, that colloidal silver generators that can be purchased for home production of colloidal silver don't really produce colloidal silver, but instead produce mostly silver ions. Colloidal silver are silver particles, and so do not turn into silver compounds. And colloidal silver particles have large surface areas, as they can be made into nano-sized particles. The small the particle size, the larger the surface area. There's more explanations, FAQs, and studies contained in it.

I bought Mesosilver from Amazon on account of it, because I was questioning whether it makes sense to spend for an expensive product. Nothing is as expensive as a cheap product that doesn't deliver on its claims, right? It's better to spend more for a product that works. But I really haven't used Mesosilver yet to such an extent that I can say it works for me convincingly. So I'm not making a testimonial.
After much research, and being convinced as well, that what you want is the smaller colloidal silver, versus the larger ionic silver, I decided to make my own at home, via these instructions.

That site also references a seller that supposedly is true to the colloidal process, if you don't want to make it yourself. I've purchased from them once, to judge how their product is compared to my home-made, and it is very similar--no dark matter, or larger particles, and with a laser pointer it shows what I understand to be colloidal particles. Also, their prices are very good, and they offer a glass bottle option.

Travis

But can you take antibiotics without risking a fungal infection, or an antifungal without risking a bacterial infection. The silver ion is unique in that it inhibits both of those (the nonresistant strains of cours.)

That guy seems to know a few impossible-to-obtain details about Paul Karason's procedure for generating silver ions, and also doesn't have any citations. [Or was that information given on NBC and Fox News?] Nonetheless, it would take an awful lot of Ag⁺ to obtain the blue state

I just read a case report. Argyria is so uncommon that isolated cases are still notable. This man had ostensibly been given a pharmaceutical nosedrops containing Ag⁺ adsorbed onto a peptide (although DNA binds it stronger).

Tomi, N. "A silver man." The Lancet (2004)

'One drop of Coldargan contains 0·85 mg silver protein, 0·68 mg ephedrine levulinate, 0·24 mg sodium levulinate, and 0·075 mg calcium levulinate.' ―Tomi

But he was applying silver directly up his nose, inside of his 'headspace,' and had quite a bit of sun exposure. Ultraviolet light, as we all know, causes the photolysis of silver chloride and the subsequent photodeposition of silver ions. The canonical photoreaction is usually depicted in two steps, but I don't know if this has been proven to occur this way. Whether it actually occurs in one step or two, it ends with 'reduced' silver—the original silver ion but now with one extra electron:

Ag⁺ + e⁻ ⟶ Ag⁰

Since Ag⁰ has no charge, it is not water-soluble. While true that some water-soluble molecules have no formal charge, they also have more surface area and often multiple partial charges (such as on carbonyls: ⏆C=Oᵟ⁻). Electrically neutral silver atoms would drop like a lead zeppelin, but would require to find other silver atoms to form a visible complex. This would also have to dodge oxidizing agents, which could perhaps even steal its newfound electron bringing it back into its ionic and water-soluble state (Ag⁺). I think if a person stays under a critical concentration, any photodeposited silver atoms will be too dispersed to agglomerate and should remain under the limit of visibility—even if taken daily for decades. These case reports all report more coloration in skin-exposesd areas, so I think we can be certain about the photolysis part of the mechanism.

I certainly don't think silver chloride is the exclusive species, or even the predominant species formed. I also think it may be presumptuous to rely only on silver chloride-based mechanisms at this point. Silver can also be found as having one less electron, as Ag²⁺, in which form it can also bind with picolinate. Silver in this state could compete with Zn²⁺, an ion whose deficiency is known to cause skin problems. Central to zinc metabolism and the skin is urocanic acid, which is basically just deaminated and desaturated histidine. Behind melanin, urocanic acid is commonly billed as 'the other molecular sunscreen'—and for good reason: Urocanic acid absorbs strongly in the UV range and appears to be our most effective water-soluble molecular suncreen, with melanin being the large and insoluble polymer teammate. Some scientists have speculated that Zn²⁺ is required to keep urocanic acid in solution, and have tried to explain the skin problems observed zinc deficiency though this molecule. If silver loses an electron to become Ag²⁺, then it might be expected to associate with urocanic acid, hisidine, picolinate, and whatever else normally associates with zinc (i.e. various porphyrin metabolites). Another competing mechanism could then be one involving silver urocanate, in the skin, where the absorption of a quanta of light could lead to a two-electron photoreduction of silver:

[urocanate][Ag²⁺] + hv ⟶ [?] + [Ag⁰]

But this is actually unrealistic, really, as urocanic acid doesn't appear to have any free electrons to donate. Moreover, the silver deposits found in argyria appear to be in the form of silver (I) selenide:

Aaseth, J. "Chelation of silver in argyria." Basic & Clinical Pharmacology & Toxicology (1986)

'Long-term human exposure to silver leads to argyria, a grey-blue pigmentation of the skin, particularly of regions exposed to light. The chemical form of the silver deposits in argyria has been unclear. In a previous paper we have demonstrated electron dense particles, diameter 30 – 100 nm, located in the basement membrane of the glomerular capillary walls in kidneys from a patient with argyria. By use of microanalysis, silver selenide (Ag₂Se) was identified as the main component of the renal deposits. Previous attempts to treat silver poisoning with 2,3-dimercaptopropanol or D-penicillamine have been without success. [...] Our patient was a 60-year old dock and fishery worker, who approximately 15 years prior to admission had been advized to treat gingival erosions, due to ill-fitting dentures, with a 3% silver nitrate solution. The patient estimated the total amount of silver nitrate used for this purpose to be about 30 ml, i.e. 5.3 mmol. Three years after starting this treatment his hair turned silver-grey, and after 5 years, a definite darkening of the skin had occurred.' ―Aaseth

This takes awhile to build-up, even at 5.3·mmol per day, perhaps on account of selenium levels being depleted. The skin turnover rate is much higher than this, so it would be difficult to assume that argyria was simply a 'slow buildup of silver on the skin.' Perhaps the whole-body amount needs to reach a critical concentrations, of perhaps not; selenium could be a factor. But this was with a '60-year old dock and fishery worker' who obviously had no idea what was going on. Any rational person in the days post-Internet would stop after the first sign of skin discoloration and wait until defoliation and cell renewal to resume.

'In the following years this discolouration became gradually more prominent. On admission, a marked bluish-grey colouration of the skin, particularly of the sun-exposed areas, conjunctives and the nailbeds, was noticed. [...] Silver determinations in skin biopsies were obtained using the neutron activation method. The concentration of silver in the biopsies (including epidermis, basement membrane and corium) was 125 – 175 umol/kg, which is more than 100 times the control values. Furthermore, the concentration of selenium in skin biopsies, 50 – 100 umol/kg, was more than 10 times higher than the control values. This suggests that a considerable fraction of the silver deposits in the skin, as well as in the kidneys, exists as silver selenide. [...] However, the more inert form of deposited silver, Ag₂Se, appear to be relatively resistant against the action of chelating agents.' ―Aaseth

So it appears that the silver chloride photodeposition mechanism could be little more than wishful thinking, invoking the well-known phenomenon of silver photography as an heuristic device—maintaining its inertia through the many 'well of course'-style epiphanies it provokes. Argyria appears to be silver (I) selenide deposits; this would not depend on silver chloride as an intermediate. It could be transported ionically similar to Na⁺ and K⁺, and perhaps even similar to Zn²⁺ with the help of urucanic acid (as Ag²⁺).

But silver urocanate is actually insoluble—Ag²⁺ has been used to precipitate it. I think the insolubility of silver urocanate would preclude its transportation.

Darby, W. "Urocanic Acid and the Intermediary Metablism of Histidine in the Rabbit." Journal of Biological Chemistry (1942)

'The method which has proved most successful depends upon the precipitation of the sparingly soluble complex of silver and urocanic acid at a pH of 6.8 to 7.0, a precipitate which is soluble in an excess of either ammonia or acid. The details of the isolation are as follows : The volume of urine was reduced under' ―Darby

Last edited:

what is colloidal science laboratory? some made up thing to sound official? i don't see any science backing what he is saying up, he is just saying words. he says this:

he Blue Man story became a major media disinformation event which was produced by a public relations firm and paid for by a pharmaceutical interest. The purpose of this campaign was to scare the public away from using colloidal silver products.

okay.. who paid for it? where did he get this information from?

then he talks about how the guy added sea salt to distilled water and that is what caused it? WTF? so you can't have salt with it? what about salt in your normal diet? i don't know, it just all sounds really sketchy, and i hate these curezone-esque sites that people worship as truth with no backup. it reminds me of the people who say drinking turpentine is good for you, and the lady who is pushing it is a ex medical doctor who lost her license in america, so you know she is bad all ready because even the crazy MD's won't take her in, and then on top of that she goes to costa rica to push it on the internet.

it is just really, really sketchy. i can make a site just like that and write a bunch of stuff too.