Colloidal Silver Efficacy

Due to the focus on having a more sterile gut in the Peat community, I would think colloidal silver would get more attention. The general claims describe it as an antibiotic able to kill bacteria without harming other cells.

A few questions for our discussion:
Why is colloidal silver safe to ingest? Are we just taking it in quantities so small we do not notice its toxicity? Why does this have a lower chance of absorption than other heavy metals we ingest? What about the side effects often listed by colloidal silver opponents?

Another claim is that it works just on "single celled pathogens" - which doesn't make sense because most bacteria (especially in the gut) effective at affecting health create biofilms (allowing them the defenses of larger organisms and more).

Thoughts?

It's because Ray Peat has talked about it, but I think it would be more beneficial if you found the particular quote yourself.

OP
O
"Since copper, like the toxic metals cadmium, lead, mercury, and silver, reacts strongly with sulfhydryl groups, the body is likely to lose some copper when it is subjected to heavy metals or cortisol." -Generative Energy

I could find nothing else in his books: Nutrition for Women, Energy and Metabolism, Mind and Tissue, Generative Energy, or From PMS to Menopause.

This raypeatforum post and what Lita Lee paraphrases are similar: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5738&p=68226&hilit=colloidal+silver#p68226
But I could not find the direct quote from a Peat source.

Anyway, there are a few threads discussing it enthusiastically. If it is simply toxic, it would be nice to understand more clearly why people report feeling better on it so quickly (instead of more sick first or something).

Here is one on this very forum: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2650&p=32344&hilit=colloidal+silver#p32344

burtlancast

I believe Bob Beck has popularized drinking colloidal silver as prevention of infectious diseases.
In this approach, feeling better would mean alleviation from a cold, flu, etc....and not as a kind of health supplement like vitamins, minerals.

I have only limited experience with it, only for flus; i didn't do much good to me, contrary to MMS, which wiped it out pretty quickly.

I have heard people using colloidal silver in a vaporizer to abort very efficiently bronchial infections. And i think it's a valuable surface disinfectant.

Here's from Lita Lee's website:

http://www.litalee.com/shopexd.asp?id=161 said:
Many people take colloidal silver, thinking it’s a safe antibiotic. It’s not. Here is what Dr. Ray Peat says about using colloidal silver as an antibiotic. Silver is just slightly less toxic than mercury. Silver would be about as toxic as the organic antibiotics in the short term, and maybe worse if used chronically. Topically, it's probably not as toxic as mercurochrome; permanganate and copper sulfate might be just a little safer. How does silver kill bacteria? It works pretty much by the same mechanism that makes mercury a powerful antiseptic. Heavy metals are relatively indiscriminate oxidants (potent oxidizing agents). All heavy metals - lead, silver, mercury, nickel, cadmium- are very toxic, potent enzyme poisons and go into the brain, causing diseases like Alzheimer's, ALS, MS, etc.

burtlancast

Here's what this scientific article says:

Silver in health care: antimicrobial effects and safety in use.

Silver has a long and intriguing history as an antibiotic in human health care. It has been developed for use in water purification, wound care, bone prostheses, reconstructive orthopaedic surgery, cardiac devices, catheters and surgical appliances. Advancing biotechnology has enabled incorporation of ionizable silver into fabrics for clinical use to reduce the risk of nosocomial infections and for personal hygiene. The antimicrobial action of silver or silver compounds is proportional to the bioactive silver ion (Ag(+)) released and its availability to interact with bacterial or fungal cell membranes. Silver metal and inorganic silver compounds ionize in the presence of water, body fluids or tissue exudates. The silver ion is biologically active and readily interacts with proteins, amino acid residues, free anions and receptors on mammalian and eukaryotic cell membranes. Bacterial (and probably fungal) sensitivity to silver is genetically determined and relates to the levels of intracellular silver uptake and its ability to interact and irreversibly denature key enzyme systems. Silver exhibits low toxicity in the human body, and minimal risk is expected due to clinical exposure by inhalation, ingestion, dermal application or through the urological or haematogenous route. Chronic ingestion or inhalation of silver preparations (especially colloidal silver) can lead to deposition of silver metal/silver sulphide particles in the skin (argyria), eye (argyrosis) and other organs. These are not life-threatening conditions but cosmetically undesirable. Silver is absorbed into the human body and enters the systemic circulation as a protein complex to be eliminated by the liver and kidneys. Silver metabolism is modulated by induction and binding to metallothioneins. This complex mitigates the cellular toxicity of silver and contributes to tissue repair. Silver allergy is a known contra-indication for using silver in medical devices or antibiotic textiles.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16766878

OP
O
burtlancast said:
Here's what this scientific article says:

Silver in health care: antimicrobial effects and safety in use.

Silver has a long and intriguing history as an antibiotic in human health care. It has been developed for use in water purification, wound care, bone prostheses, reconstructive orthopaedic surgery, cardiac devices, catheters and surgical appliances. Advancing biotechnology has enabled incorporation of ionizable silver into fabrics for clinical use to reduce the risk of nosocomial infections and for personal hygiene. The antimicrobial action of silver or silver compounds is proportional to the bioactive silver ion (Ag(+)) released and its availability to interact with bacterial or fungal cell membranes. Silver metal and inorganic silver compounds ionize in the presence of water, body fluids or tissue exudates. The silver ion is biologically active and readily interacts with proteins, amino acid residues, free anions and receptors on mammalian and eukaryotic cell membranes. Bacterial (and probably fungal) sensitivity to silver is genetically determined and relates to the levels of intracellular silver uptake and its ability to interact and irreversibly denature key enzyme systems. Silver exhibits low toxicity in the human body, and minimal risk is expected due to clinical exposure by inhalation, ingestion, dermal application or through the urological or haematogenous route. Chronic ingestion or inhalation of silver preparations (especially colloidal silver) can lead to deposition of silver metal/silver sulphide particles in the skin (argyria), eye (argyrosis) and other organs. These are not life-threatening conditions but cosmetically undesirable. Silver is absorbed into the human body and enters the systemic circulation as a protein complex to be eliminated by the liver and kidneys. Silver metabolism is modulated by induction and binding to metallothioneins. This complex mitigates the cellular toxicity of silver and contributes to tissue repair. Silver allergy is a known contra-indication for using silver in medical devices or antibiotic textiles.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16766878

Thanks. So basically, the claim that colloidal silver is not absorbed by the body when consumed (like it will go right through you), is false?

burtlancast

oxidation_is_normal said:
Thanks. So basically, the claim that colloidal silver is not absorbed by the body when consumed (like it will go right through you), is false?

What i've read up to now is colloidal silver made electrically ( ionic silver ?) is safe, because the silver particles are small enough not to be retained in the tissues, and are excreted in a matter of 4-5 hours through the kidneys.

The blue man guy made the error of adding salt to his home made colloidal silver solution during electrolysis, and it created silver particles big enough to be retained in the tissues.

It's the size of the created silver particle that matters. This is why only distilled water should be used to fabricate it, with nothing added.( See Peter Lindemann's book)

Having said that, pubmed has about 60 articles on the toxicity of colloidal silver.
I would only use it sporadically, when needed, and only done by myself, not store bought.

OP
O
Biological issues with heavy metals seem less understood than the ones with powerful antibiotics which are widely used today. Chelation itself can be deadly.
Thanks for your input burtlancast.

burtlancast

oxidation_is_normal said:
Biological issues with heavy metals seem less understood than the ones with powerful antibiotics which are widely used today. Chelation itself can be deadly.
Thanks for your input burtlancast.

I would have to object to that bit.

Chelation saves lives ( from heart attacks) , limbs ( from diabetic complications) and general health problems ( ex: chronic amalgam poisoning triggering auto-immune diseases, etc...)

There are standard procedures that have been put in place and applied for the past 40 years with excellent results most of the time.

People undergoing chelation are ascribed a supplementation regimen destined to replace the lost metals.

That's a very valuable procedure.

OP
O
I'm just saying you don't want to do it if you don't have to. People have died doing their own chelation therapy (a friend of a friend included), but as you say, they should have followed procedures.

burtlancast

Morton Walker wrote a great book about chelation.

He showed, pictures as proof, how diabetic legs can be rescued from amputation with the help of last minute chelation.

Many hundred thousands legs get amputated in the Western World from diabetic arteropathy; it dramatically illustrates how irremediably corrupt medical orthodoxy can get.

Parsifal

burtlancast said:
post 89993 Morton Walker wrote a great book about chelation.

He showed, pictures as proof, how diabetic legs can be rescued from amputation with the help of last minute chelation.

Many hundred thousands legs get amputated in the Western World from diabetic arteropathy; it dramatically illustrates how irremediably corrupt medical orthodoxy can get.

There are a lot of different kinds of chelation and a lot of them seems quite dangerous and useless (people don't notice benefits from it). Which ones are you talking about?

By the way, Bob Beck seems to be a quack as much as Hulda Clark.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nicholas

i'm going to experiment with colloidal silver for my rosacea symptoms, both internally and topically. i'm also supplementing betaine HCL at the same time, so...

messtafarian

I believe that colloidal silver works on infections, because most heavy metals do. Before penicillin people ate mercury and arsenic to kill pathogens. People survived eating these metals obviously and felt better, but they were poisons in the long term. I think that's Ray's point.

Nicholas

messtafarian said:
post 112968 I believe that colloidal silver works on infections, because most heavy metals do. Before penicillin people ate mercury and arsenic to kill pathogens. People survived eating these metals obviously and felt better, but they were poisons in the long term. I think that's Ray's point.

also works on fungus. i'm basically using it because i can't get a hold of antibiotics - actually kind of glad i didn't now, as colloidal silver seems to have a safer track record than pharmaceutical types of antibiotics, as well as it being more potent than things like carrot, coconut oil, etc.

mujuro

If you go to the Mesosilver home page (Purest Colloids), they explain the difference between real colloidal silver and ionic silver preparations, as well as how the "blue man" ruined his skin.

Nicholas

Nicholas said:
post 112966 i'm going to experiment with colloidal silver for my rosacea symptoms, both internally and topically. i'm also supplementing betaine HCL at the same time, so...

2 days on the HCL and colloidal silver and the inflammation i felt in my skin (itchiness/uncomfortable), the constant flushing, has completely disappeared. I do still have some red spots on my face, though. I haven't noticed either to have more impact than the other....though i'd suspect the HCL to be the main helper. my desire to smoke has also significantly decreased.....and consistently so. smoking can increase stomach acid production. ....but i also wonder if it could downregulate the body's natural ability to do so.