Collagen Suppliers

cats

I have noticed that there are commercial kitchen suppliers offering bulk collagen at prices much lower than those offered by great lakes or any of the other brands offered at supplement retailers. Is there any particular reason why people on the forums seem to prefer the great lakes products over all others?

CoolTweetPete

I think just the convenience of the packaging and that the cows are grass-fed.

scarlettsmum

I used to buy Great Lakes which was prohibitively expensive with shipping to EU so I just found a local brand and use that happily instead. It is not grass fed but I'm not noticing any difference in quality.

PeatMonster

For what it's worth:

Great Lakes Gelatin | Collagen | Bone and Joint Care for Consumers

4. How are the cattle raised?
Our cattle are grass fed and slaughtered in Argentina and Brazil which is controlled by their respective Department of Agriculture. These countries have the same type of rigourous tests and inspections as the United States. Beef hides are the only product used to manufacture gelatin in these countries.

PeatMonster

Also, if you find a commercial supplier who is willing to sell to individuals, definitely post back in this thread. My understanding was that they normally don't, and there are some differences in the way they ship the products. Other than those reasons, I would definitely go with a cheaper product. NOW brand is the cheapest that I know of that is easily available to consumers.

OP
C

cats

I'm talking to a distributor right now. I'll make a post on how it turns out.

Also, I know that Dr. Peat warns against eating cheeses containing microbial enzyme due to contamination with microbial toxins. Aren't collagen peptides produced using protease enzymes that are often sourced from microbes? Wouldn't this carry the same risks as the cheeses?

OP
C

cats

The cost was 6.30 per pound, with a minimum order quantity of 33lbs.

Kasper

Hum, I just take pork gelatin, does it really make a difference? Gelatin is gelatin, no?

OP
C

cats

@ecstatichamster The distributor is Caldic, www.caldic.com. I'm sure that many distributors of ingredients for commercial kitchens could offer you something similar. Finding one with a warehouse near you would save you the cost of shipping.

OP
C

cats

@Kasper Collagen hydrolysate is gelatin that has been partially predigested by protease enzymes. It mixes into room-temperature liquids without gelling like gelatin does. It could also be easier to digest for people with poor enzyme production, I suppose.