Anti-Peat Collagen Supplements Are TOXIC WASTE PRODUCTS

Discussion in 'Debate - Anti-Peat' started by b555, Sep 11, 2020.

1. b555

b555 Member

This guy is way out there...
    I dont agree with this video,

2. _lppaiva

_lppaiva Member

My only problem with gelatin/collagen in general is that it is chemically similar to glyphosate, so I wonder if cows fed conventional diets would have higher levels of glyphosate in collagenous tissues. Maybe an organic brand? Where I live there isn't even an organic brand for it, so I just buy gelatin.

3. Based Kantian

Based Kantian Member

Dr. Peat doesn't recommend exotic or synthetic "collagen supplements" and glycine powder. He recommends eating gelatinous cuts of meat and high quality, grass fed gelatin. The guy in the video is just arguing that a nose-to-tail carnivore diet has enough glycine. Ray hasn't said otherwise. We should use gelatin only to emulate the amino acid profile of such a diet

4. jb116

jb116 Member

However Peat has stated in interviews he doesn't take up issue much with collagen or gelatin powders as he does with muscle protein powder for example. He was emphasizing the oxidizable and therefore toxic aminos. Since gelatin is essentially deficient in those, he said those powders are "OK." But maybe from this guy's angle of manufacturing and preparing, there could be more reason for us to avoid the gelatin/collagen powders as well.

5. tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod Member

Then why did you feel compelled to make a thread about it?

6. tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod Member

I've heard this theory (and it's not gelatin as a whole, but glycine in particular), but never seen any evidence to suggest that it's even possible. Assuming some glyphosate does displace glycine, it's one of the most prominent amino acids in the body, and would likely be a very small percentage of displaced glycine (if any).

Of course, if this does happen, it's a concern for pretty much every possible protein out there, from meat, chicken, fish, soy, potato, rice, beans, and so on. They all contain glycine.

7. Based Kantian

Based Kantian Member

"Gelatin powder" is just gelatin. "Collagen peptides" are a highly processed and artificial form of gelatin with no known benefits

8. jb116

jb116 Member

That wasn't the point. I'm simply stating that Peat's reasoning behind rejecting protein powders is based on those toxic byproducts. Gelatin and collagen he has given a pass to in interviews. But perhaps the manufacturing aspect should be more deeply considered.

9. OP
    b555

b555 Member

Just because i disagree with a post doesn't mean others will. It creates discussion and talks about it more in detail, maybe i can learn something.