Collagen Scum And Product Quality

hei

I have several kilograms of a product called "collagen protein" and when dissolved and allowed to settle momentarily a white scum forms on top as pictured. Is this normal for hydrolysed collagen or perhaps an indicator of poor quality? It tastes pretty bad as well, the scum in particular.
collagen scum.JPG

Geronimo

I have several kilograms of a product called "collagen protein" and when dissolved and allowed to settle momentarily a white scum forms on top as pictured. Is this normal for hydrolysed collagen or perhaps an indicator of poor quality? It tastes pretty bad as well, the scum in particular.
View attachment 20034
What are the ingredients? When I put a high quality collagen in a blender with fruit, it gets super foamy.

OP
H

hei

"Hydrolysed collagen peptide (100%)"
How would you describe the taste of your high quality collagen?

Last edited:

Quelsatron

I have that too from the myprotein collagen, it just is taking it's time to dissolve into the liquid like with any powder. I wouldn't worry about it.

OP
H

hei

I have that too from the myprotein collagen, it just is taking it's time to dissolve into the liquid like with any powder. I wouldn't worry about it.
This was right (also that's the same brand). I didn't feel like drinking it and left it out and the stuff has dissolved. Still doesn't taste good.

My collagen is incredibly bland. Some are stanky. This one tastes like just about nothing. I find all their products to be really good.

Grass fed Hydrolyzed Collagen Bone Broth Powder (Bovine) 90% protein 1 lb
The price though :greedy:

Quelsatron

This was right (also that's the same brand). I didn't feel like drinking it and left it out and the stuff has dissolved. Still doesn't taste good.

I like the taste lol, but I wouldn't expect it to be a culinary experience

my favorite is warm milk + sugar + cacao powder + collagen powder, and this way you don't really notice it

OP
H

hei

I normally mix it with diluted blackcurrant syrup, it tasted better using gelatine from the supermarket.

Geronimo

Huh? It's cheaper than most. It comes out to like $17 a pound if you buy 5 pounds. You see some stuff for like $30 a pound or more.

Quelsatron

Huh? It's cheaper than most. It comes out to like $17 a pound if you buy 5 pounds. You see some stuff for like $30 a pound or more.
I just bought 5 kg of the brand he is using for £60 so yeah it's pretty expensive in comparison

Geronimo

I just bought 5 kg of the brand he is using for £60 so yeah it's pretty expensive in comparison
Hmm maybe it's an American thing. The stuff in the link I sent is way cheaper than most collagen powders in America. Also, he says it tastes really bad. This should not be the case.

Quelsatron

Hmm maybe it's an American thing. The stuff in the link I sent is way cheaper than most collagen powders in America. Also, he says it tastes really bad. This should not be the case.
It doesn't taste bad to me, so it might just be his opinion. But maybe it varies with the country, until now I have only ordered from the swedish website, maybe the british website has another source although I doubt it

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals