Collagen Hydrolyzate: Great Lakes, HealthNatura And VitalProteins

Amazoniac

Now that I've tried both:

Great Lakes has a very mild taste, even powder, lighter color, and you can definitely taste a bit of salt (as mentioned on the label).
Peter's is just the opposite; strong taste (overpowers everything), uneven powder (very fine particles mixed with rough ones), a bit darker, and no salty taste. However, those are all signs of a product that is less processed and the quality seems slightly better on this one. Tastes brothy actually, which is how it's supposed to taste.

To be honest I'd probably decide to have both of them available in case I wanted to use with something or take it separately on a spoon. For me, the shipping price is considerably higher for HealthNatura's which is why I will probably opt for the other; but that would not be a problem for most people since the price should be much lower.

Regarding packages, the can from Great Lakes is better for sure. The bag always creates this powdery cloud whenever you use it, and it's really difficult to prevent the air from doing that to fine powders using bags. But those are minor things that can be easily fixed by a better bag system or switching to a similar can.

I'm sure many people here already tried both and can share their opinion. Also, if anyone tried the one from VitalProteins, please comment.

ps.: Peter's product was sent as a gift from one of those giveaways; so, thank you for that. I just wouldn't be reviewing it if it wasn't a good product.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

An edit that deserves bringing up the topic.
It's not just a detail for those that have danwichism, or are aka perfectionists.

"..the quality seems slightly better on this one"

Like I told Blossom on a private message:
"I think I'll edit it because after experimenting on and off for a good while with both of them I can definitely tell that the one from Peter is better; not slightly as I have posted, but also not so much; just better."

--
I should note that I'm very sensitive to gelatins and hydrolyzed collagens in general. And in my case, the worse the quality, the worse the reaction.
I didn't react at all to Peter's product, but reacted slightly to the one from Great Lakes.
It's due to that that I'm adding this comment.

@healthnatura

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I prefer the HealthNatura Collagen over Great Lakes. Great Lakes is fine but I can tell Peter's product is fresher. It dissolves in water to a clear pale amber color within about one minute. So considering the freshness and slightly lower cost I plan to stick with the Clean Collagen from HealthNatura. I suspect it may have helped my gut out a bit too.

Tarmander

I think Great Lakes is from Argentina. Do you know where peters is from?

healthnatura

Now that I've tried both:

Great Lakes has a very mild taste, even powder, lighter color, and you can definitely taste a bit of salt (as mentioned on the label).
Peter's is just the opposite; strong taste (overpowers everything), uneven powder (very fine particles mixed with rough ones), a bit darker, and no salty taste. However, those are all signs of a product that is less processed and the quality seems slightly better on this one. Tastes brothy actually, which is how it's supposed to taste.

Regarding packages, the can from Great Lakes is better for sure. The bag always creates this powdery cloud whenever you use it, and it's really difficult to prevent the air from doing that to fine powders using bags. But those are minor things that can be easily fixed by a better bag system or switching to a similar can.

ps.: Peter's product was sent as a gift from one of those giveaways; so, thank you for that. I just wouldn't be reviewing it if it wasn't a good product.

Thank you all for your feedback! I appreciate it very much. My collagen is very expensive from my source and is as close as you can get to an unrefined collagen. The way it is granulated and the variation in granule size is one indication of this but it also helps it dissolve quickly. This is a very pricey material for me for one reason. The company I buy from controls 100% of the herds and that comes with a price tag. To get this kind control on a large scale they have gone to China and tied up under contract huge tracks of farm land in the more remote regions of the country. I know China can be a dirty word, but the country is huge with massive tracts of farm land that are not industrialized. Because my source pays a premium for greater control and on site oversight they can get a quality controlled product with herd traceability not possible anywhere else ensuring that the herds are pastured without grain till near then end. The more remote regions they use are also the more impoverished as well so the premiums they pay help the people there greatly. At this time they are about 99% grass fed and are working on resolving the remaining issues to get the 100%. While my source is working towards fully grass fed there is no 100% grass fed collagen available in the world at this time. It's a scale issue because the hide which the collagen is derived from is only a portion of the animal and the remaining economics hinge on the whole animal and that market pressure as well. I discovered this the hard way when source searching for 12 months. It take hundreds of herds to feed a collagen plant which makes traceability and grass fed controls almost impossible. As some of you have mentioned South America is the new "wild west" of collagen and bovine farming. There is no traceability, control or regulatory adherence for the regulations that do exist. Must of the high yielding farmland is from deforested areas as well.

Because of the price and my very narrow margin I carry it as a favor for a few select customers and only buy a few hundred pounds at a time, I could get a better price break at 2 tons but at this time I can't move that much and keep it fresh. The extra I have I offer to you. Because of costs I have opted away from the canister package so I can stay in the same price range as other comparable products on the market. I agree that the foil pack is not as optimal as a canister. The carbon foot print for foil pouches is 99% less than for other packaging types like glass, plastic and paper because of differences in manufacturing, weight and empty volume to ship them to me and extra packing material needed to protect the filled package. I prefer them because of this whenever possible and am willing to lose a little business in exchange for a more eco friendly package.

I hope this helps,
Peter

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Thank you all for your feedback! I appreciate it very much. My collagen is very expensive from my source and is as close as you can get to an unrefined collagen. The way it is granulated and the variation in granule size is one indication of this but it also helps it dissolve quickly. This is a very pricey material for me for one reason. The company I buy from controls 100% of the herds and that comes with a price tag. To get this kind control on a large scale they have gone to China and tied up under contract huge tracks of farm land in the more remote regions of the country. I know China can be a dirty word, but the country is huge with massive tracts of farm land that are not industrialized. Because my source pays a premium for greater control and on site oversight they can get a quality controlled product with herd traceability not possible anywhere else ensuring that the herds are pastured without grain till near then end. The more remote regions they use are also the more impoverished as well so the premiums they pay help the people there greatly. At this time they are about 99% grass fed and are working on resolving the remaining issues to get the 100%. While my source is working towards fully grass fed there is no 100% grass fed collagen available in the world at this time. It's a scale issue because the hide which the collagen is derived from is only a portion of the animal and the remaining economics hinge on the whole animal and that market pressure as well. I discovered this the hard way when source searching for 12 months. It take hundreds of herds to feed a collagen plant which makes traceability and grass fed controls almost impossible. As some of you have mentioned South America is the new "wild west" of collagen and bovine farming. There is no traceability, control or regulatory adherence for the regulations that do exist. Must of the high yielding farmland is from deforested areas as well.

Because of the price and my very narrow margin I carry it as a favor for a few select customers and only buy a few hundred pounds at a time, I could get a better price break at 2 tons but at this time I can't move that much and keep it fresh. The extra I have I offer to you. Because of costs I have opted away from the canister package so I can stay in the same price range as other comparable products on the market. I agree that the foil pack is not as optimal as a canister. The carbon foot print for foil pouches is 99% less than for other packaging types like glass, plastic and paper because of differences in manufacturing, weight and empty volume to ship them to me and extra packing material needed to protect the filled package. I prefer them because of this whenever possible and am willing to lose a little business in exchange for a more eco friendly package.

I hope this helps,
Peter
It clarified a lot, thanks. Hope that this thread encourages people to try your product before settling for Great Lakes..

SAFarmer

I hope this helps,
Peter

I am probably going to be unpopular for saying this and get a lot of flack, but I have to call bull**** when I see it, and it's very obvious from the above nonsense.

SAFarmer

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

I am probably going to be unpopular for saying this and get a lot of flack, but I have to call bull**** when I see it, and it's very obvious from the above nonsense.
A safe product that I use for my whole family without any side or negative effects whatever, is this hydrolysed gelatin from Laffort, Gecoll
It's cheap, Laffort Gecoll Gelatin 1 kg. | GW Kent , and so it should be, as it's not "scarce" . I pay about $10 for a 1 kg bag here in SA.

...and if you don't want protein from animals, then here is isolated potato protein too, http://www.laffort.com/images/stories/telechargement/fiches commerciales/2 - FC - ANGLAIS/FC_ANG_Vegecoll.pdf
So, it doesn't matter the source as long as it has a good price and you don't faint?
It's rhetorical, this is not going to get anywhere.

Last edited:
L

lollipop

I use the green Vital Proteins. Is the very best I have tried. I use it for making gummy bears, coffee jelly, and used to add to protein drinks. Don't do those anymore...

NathanK

Ironically, I just looked at a box of Knox gelatin single packets sitting on my desk and it's sourced from Brazil

Drareg

This is the same supplier who sells fish oils and uses Ray Peats name on the same website. I only discovered the fish oils they sell recently.

"Here they are, the freshest fish oil products on the market!
It has taken me years to assemble a truly stellar line of fish oils that didn't arrive in my office rancid! In the last five years I have tested and rejected over 20 sources and run trials on all the packaging options available to arrive at the perfect product for you. All the fish oils are packed with my Perfect Freshness System of oxygen tight light proof pouches with an added oxygen absorbent pack. It's simply the best packaging a fish oil could ask for. Guaranteed fresh or I'll replace them free of charge."

Blossom

Forum Supporter
This is the same supplier who sells fish oils and uses Ray Peats name on the same website. I only discovered the fish oils they sell recently.

"Here they are, the freshest fish oil products on the market!
It has taken me years to assemble a truly stellar line of fish oils that didn't arrive in my office rancid! In the last five years I have tested and rejected over 20 sources and run trials on all the packaging options available to arrive at the perfect product for you. All the fish oils are packed with my Perfect Freshness System of oxygen tight light proof pouches with an added oxygen absorbent pack. It's simply the best packaging a fish oil could ask for. Guaranteed fresh or I'll replace them free of charge."
He explains that here
Health natura selling fish oil?

Mito

Also, if anyone tried the one from VitalProteins, please comment.
The VitalProteins product has a slightly more favorable amino acid profile at least in terms of glycine. More glycine and less arginine and glutamic acid per serving.

Marine Collagen Peptides
IMG_0754.jpg

Amino Acids - Nutritional Info - Product Info
IMG_0755.jpg

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals