Collagen Disorder Is Ruining My Family's Life. Help Me Break The Curse

HeyThere

What does one do when they get reactions from ALL forms of Vit C, whether from pills or food.
(Symptoms are itching, swelled up mast cells, under the skin on the thighs m&m sized itchy things far under the skin, etc)

At least 7 people, that are genetically related to my great-grandmother, have (or had) what appears to be symptoms of scurvy, despite being well fed. Other members of our family, that are not genetically related to my great-grandmother, doesn't have these symptoms, despite living in the same households and eating the same diet.

There must be something more complex going on than a simple vitamin C deficiency.
that doesn't mean its not vitamin c deficiency. there could be an enzyme problem with how the body uses/moves around vitamin c. Sometimes, taking mega doses of a vitamin causes a passive diffusion into the cells when there is a problem with that substance getting to where it should be

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

@ThazMYchocolate That's a lot of study material, thank you! This is much appreciated.

Super interesting that ferritin concentration is inversely related to serum vitamin C concentration.

56.4% of Asian population seems to have the Hp 2-2 haptoglobin phenotype, and they doesn't seem to have these symptoms en masse? Do they get so much vitamin C from their diets?

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Is there a possibility that me and my family have the Hp 2-2 haptoglobin phenotype, and some problem with the SLC23A1/2 carrier at the same time?

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Oh, just have learned that the SLC23A1/2 carrier require sodium to work.

The same members of my family suffering with the symptoms of scurvy also have what appears to be constant electrolyte imbalance, that can't be fixed by supplying electrolytes.

HeyThere

Oh, just have learned that the SLC23A1/2 carrier require sodium to work.

The same members of my family suffering with the symptoms of scurvy also have what appears to be constant electrolyte imbalance, that can't be fixed by supplying electrolytes.

I've had a lifelong electrolyte imbalance until I started taking daily magnesium baths weeks ago with a handful of baking soda added. My indented dry lips went away after years and are soft and plump again.

@BearWithMe I have no answers for your questions...I was merely pointing out that scurvy may be familial and severe even though you all eat normal diets. It never ceases to amaze me how peoples needs can be so different. When I was young I believed that a healthy diet looked the same for everyone. Not true. I hope you find what helps.

member11823

Someone who works 835185 hours per week, plus everyday cycling to his job and to his home then, will need more vit C than someone who is fapping all day long and playing video games

member11823

First thing I noticed while starting 1000 mg liposomal vitamin c was that my jaw got tighten, my teeth stopped popping (I mean they had abnormal mobility). Also my grip become extremely strong. The bleeding gums disappeared for few days. Now I can brush my teeth with metal wire and I can chew rocks without causing them to bleed.

youngsinatra

Have you ever measured your ceruloplasmin level?

Collagen crosslinking (lysyl oxidase) depends on it.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Have you ever measured your ceruloplasmin level?

Collagen crosslinking (lysyl oxidase) depends on it.
0,22g/l, perfectly within range. I do have copper metabolism problems, though. Very high free copper in blood, and possibly symptoms of copper deficiency

youngsinatra

0,22g/l, perfectly within range. I do have copper metabolism problems, though. Very high free copper in blood, and possibly symptoms of copper deficiency
Interesting. Morley Robbins recommends achieving Cp values of ~0.30g/l for optimal expression of ferroxidase and so on.

A high ratio of serum copper:ceruloplasmin oftentimes points to liver and/or adrenal issues as far as I know.

I am trying to overcome that problem myself, so I cannot say what fixes it.

Summer

First thing I noticed while starting 1000 mg liposomal vitamin c was that my jaw got tighten, my teeth stopped popping (I mean they had abnormal mobility). Also my grip become extremely strong. The bleeding gums disappeared for few days. Now I can brush my teeth with metal wire and I can chew rocks without causing them to bleed.
I had the same issue with tooth mobility and the popping effect. After seeing this thread, I started supplementing around 2g of Vitamin C spread throughout the day. It's been like three weeks since I started and no more abnormal mobility!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin