Cold temps and sweating

kofimama

Anyone else out there consistently cold and sweaty at the same time? I've struggled with this for my whole adult life which has caused a lot of anxiety and social frustration. I can be freezing cold and dripping from my pits at the same time. I was hoping things would start to change as I delved into a WAPF diet (about 2 years, previously "healthy", too), but nothing has shifted in regard to my sweating issue. New to this whole Peat way of thinking/eating and just starting protest-e, so we'll see how things go. Besides the obvious frustration of always having to wear dark colored shirts I've felt for years that my energy is being sucked out of me as I sweat.It's incredibly draining to be constantly sweating. It all got much worse after having a baby with chronic health issues (resulting in a feeding tube, growth issues, eczema, severe food allergies, etc.). I would sit for hours nursing him (the only thing to keep him from crying), absolutely freezing and sweating myself into a puddle at the same time. It makes me faint just remembering those days. Anyway, I know there's lots of talk of hypothyroidism causing in inability to sweat, so wondering what's happening with me. Liver congestion, probably. What else? FYI, my temps and pulse indicate that I'm hypothyroid.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Adrenaline makes me sweat.

OP
kofimama

kofimama

Yup, makes sense, but I seem to only find info regarding hypothyroidism and the inability to sweat, but maybe there are lots of us heavy sweaters out there running on fumes.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
My dad is clearly hypo and he sweats up a storm.

Bluebell

Hello Kofimama, Peat says in one of his interviews, that hypothyroid people can sweat not at all, but also that some are the opposite and that they sweat in excess.

OP
kofimama

kofimama

Not yet, Gabriel. Awaiting a shipment of Cynomel and Cynoplus.

Peater

It was seeing this thread that made me join, as since puberty (At least, maybe longer) I have suffered with excessive underarm sweat.

Years ago I used to feel hot easily so it made sense, but now I am just as likely to get cold sweats.

I had hoped that more gelatine might sort it out as I'd read about the relaxing effects and better amino balance.

I've also tried cutting out coffee without much luck. I'm also gluten free and eat very little dairy. Mainly occasional butter for cooking.

It is still a problem though. I highly doubt I'm hyper-thyroid but maybe borderline hypo. I'm at a healthy-weight and look fine, (85kg, 6ft/1.82m tall) but have never been properly lean no matter how much I've trained.

There's a wealth of information on here but it makes me head spin trying to assimilate it all, so any advice is welcome.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Peater said:
It was seeing this thread that made me join, as since puberty (At least, maybe longer) I have suffered with excessive underarm sweat.

Years ago I used to feel hot easily so it made sense, but now I am just as likely to get cold sweats.

I had hoped that more gelatine might sort it out as I'd read about the relaxing effects and better amino balance.

I've also tried cutting out coffee without much luck. I'm also gluten free and eat very little dairy. Mainly occasional butter for cooking.

It is still a problem though. I highly doubt I'm hyper-thyroid but maybe borderline hypo. I'm at a healthy-weight and look fine, (85kg, 6ft/1.82m tall) but have never been properly lean no matter how much I've trained.

There's a wealth of information on here but it makes me head spin trying to assimilate it all, so any advice is welcome.
I too came from a paleo background and I spent my first couple of months after discovering Peat just focusing on diet. This is just my experience but I thought I would share in case it might be of help. I feel the eating guidelines are a strong foundation and I couldn't have figured out how to move forward without first understanding how to eat to minimize stress. I find value in keeping it as simple as possible and see no need to stress myself more when I'm trying to heal. Sugar and dairy for my situation were very important for combating stress and putting me on the path to improved health. I guess you could say that from an ex-paleo dieter point of view I would recommend focusing my initial attention on diet and keeping it as simple as possible for now. After you feel you have mastered the basics of eating for your best health then you will know if any additional areas need addressed. You may be pleasantly surprised how much diet alone will help.

Peater

I enjoy dairy but have found even goat dairy (Cheese, milk, cream) can cause me to develop a tic in my eyelid. It disappears when dairy with the exception of butter is omitted. I also found too much cheese really affected my running stamina

A shame as it is so damn tasty!

I know Ray mentions the calcium/phosphate balance so I might have to look into supplements for that.

I already supplement magnesium, vit D (I pop the 10K IU capsule and use two on my skin), Vit K1 and K2 (Life Extension brand) and eat liver regularly.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I used the homemade egg shell powder for calcium, more in the beginning, as I worked on increasing my dairy intake. I know other forum members have used other sources of calcium as well but I think you're on the right track by paying attention to calcium/phosphorus balance. Obviously we are all a bit different and adjusting to various foods is highly individual but getting adequate calcium in some form is very anti-stress. I'm sure others will weigh in on this topic as well. The one thing that made a huge difference for me besides calcium was getting enough sugar to balance protein. That was very foreign at first but it is very important to decrease stress imo. Best of luck to you.

Peater

Thank you :)

How much sugar is recommended? (There's something I never thought I'd type!)

Starting recently I now have a couple of teaspoon in coffee, and honey with tea. Maybe 10 teaspoons of each a day.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Generally I try to aim for about a 2:1 ratio of sugar to protein. I know different proteins effect people differently. I think there are also forum members who have better detailed information on this topic than I do, just to be honest! You can count fruit that you eat as sugar also.

Filip1993

Yes everyone is different, I aim for about 5:1 ratio of sugar to protein. But I'm a young male and need a lot of calories to stay satiated. And the sugar comes from fruits (whole and juice) and white sugar.

Peater

Is it worth experimenting with thyroid supplements do you think? I have taken Lugol's and Iodoral in the past, and have learned about dessicated thyroid and Cynomel/Cynoplus from here but I understand these are quite a serious supplement not to be taken lightly.

Mittir

RP has mentioned that after 80+ grams of protein and small amount of fat with every meal
rest of the calories can come from carbohydrate/sugar. The ratio will depend on
total caloric intake. If fat loss is a goal then one can minimize fat intake and replace
fat with carbohydrate. Lactose and Fructose have some special benefits over pure
glucose/starch. By sugar it means milk sugar, fruit sugar, honey and table sugar.
But sweet ripe fruit is the ideal source of carbohydrate. If one chose to use honey and
table sugar they have to make sure they are getting all the required nutrients from
rest of the diet. You can use cronometer to figure out how much table sugar you can
consume without getting deficient in vitamins and minerals.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Blossom said:
Generally I try to aim for about a 2:1 ratio of sugar to protein. I know different proteins effect people differently. I think there are also forum members who have better detailed information on this topic than I do, just to be honest! You can count fruit that you eat as sugar also.
I'm a small female so I'm sure my needs are different from yours. Mittir really knows a lot about diet imo and always gives top notch dietary guidance. I can only hope to have his expertise one day! I just kind of felt coming off paleo that sugars were sometimes difficult at first but by sugar I didn't necessarily mean cane sugar only(sorry if that was confusing). Many people on the forum use thyroid, myself included, but I waited for a few months to see what I could do for my metabolism with diet before trying it. Obviously it is not my place to discourage or encourage you either way but I did want to share my experience. Your metabolism could very well adjust to a level you are happy with using diet alone, or maybe not. I suppose only time will tell.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals