Cold Temperature Produces PUFA

Barry Obummer

Wait so a quick take away here - wearing warmer clothes over your core is likely to be beneficial to your health?

I guess it would get the blood flowing to your extremities more.
A Tai Chi teacher told me the Chinese have these garments that go around their abdomen because in TCM it's important to keep the internal organs warm. I Forget what they are called though. He always had on like 3 sweaters when it was only in the 50's.

m_arch

A Tai Chi teacher told me the Chinese have these garments that go around their abdomen because in TCM it's important to keep the internal organs warm. I Forget what they are called though. He always had on like 3 sweaters when it was only in the 50's.
Thats cool to know, thanks. Do you still practice Tai Chi? Have you noticed any health benefits?

Barry Obummer

Thats cool to know, thanks. Do you still practice Tai Chi? Have you noticed any health benefits?
No, I moved to kind of the middle of nowhere so I don't have a class to go to. I learned enough to do it myself but when you practice a lot it changes the way you move. I walk different, do the dishes different - it really changes your bio-mechanics for the better. I have been doing exercise more to get the blood pumping recently - open up the arteries and whatnot.
For martial arts and self-defense it's really good for footwork, balance, and leg strengthening. It didn't give me the improvements in digestion, headaches, better sleep etc that it is supposed to help with. But I have a bunch of health issues going on - it would probably be beneficial all around for most people.
I definitely felt the "chi" circulating and tingling in the palms. Perhaps it is just electromagnetic energy or whatever. I could put my palm over someone's palm and they would feel tingling. The teacher had this ability to rotate his abdominal muscles in a clockwise motion to stimulate digestion. I have never seen anything like it, it looked like something running laps around his belly. He could also fall asleep in like 30 seconds and would take 5 minute power naps and wake up full of energy. In conclusion: There's definitely something to it, but it depends on where your health is when you start and how much you are willing to put into it. You gotta put the time in.
This article was incredibly helpful: Knee, Ankle, and Arch Alignment

Simonsays

It all makes sense. Us Homo Sapiens should never have left Africa. We lost our body hair and developed lots of sweat glands in our tall lean bodies to keep us cool in that equatorial furnace. Check those Masai in Kenya.

Then we moved into Europe and Asia and beyond. The the lack of daylight meant we had to evolve lighter skin to get some Vit D , but then had to cover up with animal skins cos we were bloody freezing!! MS levels rise further you get away from the Equator too.

A species had evolved outside Africa that was much better to adapted to the cold , Neanderthals.

On a personal level , i never liked a warm home, i couldnt stand a too warm environment (even though Hypo), but now ive had to have a complete rethink. Im really starting to feel the cold, like never before. Its a real issue now. I start to feel nauseous with it as well. Hands and fingers cold.

The central heating is on for longer and thermo at a higher level. Double glazing is going to installed. electric blanket on all night, more clothing, etc etc. Sorry planet earth, regarding all that CO2, but i blame the ancestors.

Regina

I've been presuming the cattle round here get cold knees and tails outside in winter, and that is why the oxtail and knuckle fat can be liquid, which I guess is high PUFA. They may get a bit of supplemental grain in winter, but I think the majority is still grass-(or hay-or silage-) fed through winter too - ie a very similar diet all year round.
Peat has referred to studies showing stock having higher PUFA closer to the skin and lower PUFA wearing if jerseys.
Cool.

What I don't understand is this.

Ray has said soybeans grown in very warm climates will have mostly satfat.

but soybeans grown in the US are grown in the summer where it's really warm ALL the time, day and night, why are they still full of PUFAs?

OP
S
Y'all keep at it with them ice baths :smug

lvysaur

Ray has said soybeans grown in very warm climates will have mostly satfat.

but soybeans grown in the US are grown in the summer where it's really warm ALL the time, day and night, why are they still full of PUFAs?

There's pretty much no territory in the US that falls under "very warm".

The spring and summer days might be hot, but it can still go cold at night, so the plant produces PUFA.

It produces vitamin E to deal with the oxidation under hot temperature.

There's pretty much no territory in the US that falls under "very warm".

The spring and summer days might be hot, but it can still go cold at night, so the plant produces PUFA.

It produces vitamin E to deal with the oxidation under hot temperature.

Maybe. The entire Midwest can be 85F. or 90F. day, and 65F. at night. Is this nighttime cold enough to stimulate PUFAs? Maybe it is, I'm just wondering.

OP
S
I think for something to be mainly saturated you need temperatures close to human body temp, which even at night is really high.

tankasnowgod

Getting back to humans for a second, I know we don't naturally synthesize PUFA, but does that matter? The average person is getting plenty from diet, and even the most Peaty among us can't avoid it completely. Is it possible that colder climates (or more cold exposure in general) cause PUFA to be preferentially stored?

Anecdotally, when I moved from Tucson to Los Angeles a few decades ago, I noticed my weight moved up fairly significantly that first year. I've also found it way easier to lose weight in the spring and summer months. Has anyone moved to a warmer climate (or super hot climate like Vegas/Phoenix/Tucson) and noticed weight loss without really trying?

OP
S
I think cold will create a sort of "pull" of unsaturated fat into the organism, and it will either come from fats losing hydrogen, or from diet.

REOSIRENS

That's why people living in low latitude countries have less metabolic problems... Tropicals are the best areas to live

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals