Cold Showers

Uselis

Hey,

I read some previous threads (I think Haidut even posted study on it somewhat recently) but information a bit conflicting. I think I am in good place healthwise so would it be healthy thing to do? Is there any proper way to do it? I go in for 4 minutes or so.

Thank you

marcar72

The general consensus around here would probably be against cold showers simply because they're stressful and a big part of the Peat paradigm is avoiding as much stress as possible. Maybe a cold rinse after lathering up though because I myself find it stressful to get out of a hot shower only to work up a sweat while drying off... :2cents

tara

Buteyko method says cold showers are helpful only when CP is above 25s, and with a few rules and restrictions. http://www.normalbreathing.com/l-cold-shower.php My CP is not that high, and I'm not cold showering these days. I think the mechanism is supposed to be stimulating production of more brown fat cells, which might make it easier to keep warm the rest of the time.

Or maybe if it feels good to get in (not just afterwards), that might be a useful guide.

I've found getting into cold water slowly less stressful than quick complete submersion, and I think that's in line with Artour's description of gradually turning down shower temp.

Is the Peat paradigm really to avoid stress? Don't we need to differentiate between beneficial stressors and negative ones? What a boring life that would be to consciously go around avoiding stress. People that do that seem pretty stressed actually - whereas people who interpret challenges as fun instead of stressful do much better.

Kasper

I think I'm feeling way better if I consciously search for stressors/pain instead of trying to avoid them. Not just in the physically sense, also in the mental sense.

Say, you've got a very stiff back, that is hurting. One way to deal with this would be to just avoid any movement where you feel your back. Another way would be to buy some foam roller, and lay on the stiff muscle. Very painful, probably stressful, but very effective. And I think if you keep trying to relax while actively searching for this pain, it isn't that bad at all.

Say, you feel guilty for something to someone. One way to deal with it, would be to avoid any contact with this person, and just forget it. Another way would be to speak to this person, and say you are sorry. This confrontation will probably be a bit stressful and painful. But again, probably effective, and afterwards you will great about it.

I think this metaphor hold for many things in life. If I bike in cold weather through the rain. I will try to ignore that I feel cold, and make sure I'm at home as soon as possible. I try to avoid the stressor, try to ignore it. But when I am home, I feel terrible, and freezing cold.

An the other side, if I step into a cold shower, and I consciously focus on the feeling of cold. Then my body seems to be able to handle this stressor very well. The temperature of cold shower is way colder than just being outside in the rain, but if you put your focus on it, it doesn't feel that bad at all. I actually feel great after a cold shower. I think it is all about the mindset, do you confront the pain, or do try to avoid it ?

Or like oxidation_is_normal says, if you see the stressor as a challenge, instead of a problem you have to avoid. I think having high serotonin causes people to avoid pain, instead of "fight" it, confront it. Like the rat study, even if they are drowning, instead of trying to save theirself, they just avoid the pain, and die.

Makrosky

Ray peat mentions in one of his books that 75% of the metabolic energy is spent maintaining body temperature.

If you have low metabolism, I would say don't do them.

A cold shower can "wake you up" and kickstart your body to produce it's own heat and you will feel warmer, but, at which cost ? If your metabolism isn't good this temporary benefit is probably achieved via stress hormones or depleting/stressing you further.

Anyway, it's quite common sense : Cold showers in winter are probably bad. Hot showers in summer are probably bad as well.

Like everything, I always try to find a balance and avoid extreme things.

gretchen

I did hydrotherapy, alternating hot and cold in the shower, a few times in my late 20s. I would do it again.
http://www.wellnesshydrospa.com/what-is ... erapy.html
Hydrotherapy was formally propagated in the 1800s by a Catholic priest in Germany, Sebastian Kneipp (1821-1897). History tells us that Kneipp was diagnosed with Tuberculosis in his early 20s. Without any known cure then, Kneipp came across a book on water therapy by Johann Sigmund Hahn. Kneipp practiced what the book recommended on himself, stimulating his body's immune system using the alternate hot and cold water treatment.

Gerald Pollack has written a lot about water. Doesn't Peat write about it also?

cyclops

The general consensus around here would probably be against cold showers simply because they're stressful and a big part of the Peat paradigm is avoiding as much stress as possible.

I don't know if I buy into the whole "common sense" logic of very cold showers being bad just because they can be very uncomfortable. There are many things that are uncomfortable in life that you push through and become better and stronger because of it.

Sometimes I think some Peaters just want to be drinking juice in the sunshine all the time. What about hard lifting, dealing with harsh elements, being forced into times when you cannot eat? Overcoming? Our ancestors had to deal with allot of STRESS in order to survive. They became stronger because of it.

Anyway, I just tried my first cold shower and it was invigorating. Painful, in a way, but I felt alive. Anyone have any thoughts on cold showers being a positive thing?

Last edited:

DavidGardner

I've been doing cold showers for the past decade. Partly because at the time I was very eco-conscious and didn't want to waste electricity, but more importantly because I discovered that my "bacne" could be cured by simply abstaining from hot showers. Actually, I've only this winter gotten to the point again where I can tolerate hot (but not scalding) water on my back without it drying out my skin.

Cold showers definitely do something for your mentality, a lot like lifting weights regularly. They will vastly improve your psychological if not also physical tolerance for cold and discomfort in general. I really prefer cold showers, but this winter I have found it to be too much of a distraction try to maintain the discipline to always and only do cold showers. I usually shower in warm to hot then rinse off in successively colder rinses.

I would recommend them to improve stress tolerance unless it becomes more stressful in itself than it is worth. That is my issue with all these "beneficial stressors." Are you spending fifteen minutes every day psyching yourself up just to step in the shower? Then it's probably not worth it. The other thing to consider is what is your environment like. I work outside (albeit in Texas), but spending hours in the cold I know what it's like to be chilled to the bone. Then it would be stupid for me to jump into a cold shower; I might even be risking hypothermia. Your average office worker on the other hand might benefit from just a modicum of physical stress. But I ramble on....

I guess just weigh the pros and cons for yourself. Do it if it's helping you in some way, but if it's just a burden to go through every day, forget about it. It's not a right or wrong issue, and really, it doesn't matter that much.

cyclops

I've been doing cold showers for the past decade. Partly because at the time I was very eco-conscious and didn't want to waste electricity, but more importantly because I discovered that my "bacne" could be cured by simply abstaining from hot showers. Actually, I've only this winter gotten to the point again where I can tolerate hot (but not scalding) water on my back without it drying out my skin.

Cold showers definitely do something for your mentality, a lot like lifting weights regularly. They will vastly improve your psychological if not also physical tolerance for cold and discomfort in general. I really prefer cold showers, but this winter I have found it to be too much of a distraction try to maintain the discipline to always and only do cold showers. I usually shower in warm to hot then rinse off in successively colder rinses.

I would recommend them to improve stress tolerance unless it becomes more stressful in itself than it is worth. That is my issue with all these "beneficial stressors." Are you spending fifteen minutes every day psyching yourself up just to step in the shower? Then it's probably not worth it. The other thing to consider is what is your environment like. I work outside (albeit in Texas), but spending hours in the cold I know what it's like to be chilled to the bone. Then it would be stupid for me to jump into a cold shower; I might even be risking hypothermia. Your average office worker on the other hand might benefit from just a modicum of physical stress. But I ramble on....

I guess just weigh the pros and cons for yourself. Do it if it's helping you in some way, but if it's just a burden to go through every day, forget about it. It's not a right or wrong issue, and really, it doesn't matter that much.

Nice post. I do foresee it being kind of a pain and having to psych myself up to do it, but I think that is part of what will bring phycological benefits. I don't work in the cold, so I'm not dealing with cold temps all day. But Ive only done it once...we'll see how it goes.

Sometimes I think some Peaters just want to be drinking juice in the sunshine all the time. What about hard lifting, dealing with harsh elements, being forced into times when you cannot eat?
Ok but have you actually tried doing those things both WITH and WITHOUT the sunshine juice preceding them? Spoiler: big difference.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals