Cold Feet, Varicoceles, Orthostatic Hypotension, Bulging Veins, Heart Murmur

Ben

I had some of these issues for as long as I can remember. But cold feet and episodes of needle sensations on the bottom of my feet are new ones. I also feel more brain dead than ever. I took T3 with no noticeable effects. I don't take anything anymore. Nothing works.

I wouldn't be surprised if my brain had a blood flow deficit. For many years, I would lose my vision or even pass out when I stood up or stretched. I had a lazy, inflexible brain since i was a kid. I never acheived anything, never had any consistency, planning and holding things in my memory and making complex decisions was hard for me. I can generally only have momentary brain activity, not capable of anything high energy perhaps that demands consistently high blood flow. I gave up on succeeding in anything because I just know from experience that I can't discipline myself.

What is wrong with my circulatory system and how do I help it?

mas

Hi Ben,

I have quite a few of the same issues that you have. I remember a while back you mentioned that you were going to see a cardiologist- did you get any information from that?

I have cold feet in spite of NDT, I may move on to something stronger. Did thyroid have any effect for you? Your needle sensations on your bottom feet sound like neuropathy- I also have mild neuropathy in my toes.

T3/T4: Have you tried this combination instead of just T3?

According to RP, the orthostatic hypotension is caused by leaky gut by estrogen , serotonin, prostaglandins, histamine, Nitric Oxide, etc…and leaky vasculature in the legs and intestine, gut. What happens is fluid leaks out of the vessels and the blood volume drops, and you can’t get a decent blood volume pumping up to the heart, brain and peripheral blood vessels. Brain fog is caused by lack of adequate blood flow to the brain.

Dr. David Bell, a CFS doctor and his associate Dr. David Streeten, tested some of Bell’s “CFS” patients and they had to use a sophisticated nuclear tracing test (this is NOT a common diagnostic tool, but rather used more in research studies). They found that the patients low blood volume ranged from 5% to 30%. (30% is huge-that is almost 1/3 of the total blood volume.) Heart and brain cognitive issues are definitely related to orthostatic hypotension

I am working on healing my gut because I have had lots of gut problems from a young age, and I think the gut is where my issues with the orthostatic hypotension need to be addressed. The gut definitely influences the brain.

What I have tried:

Ray Peat diet principles
Progest-E
Pregnenolone
vitamins & minerals (still working on this too)
NutriPak NDT
Cyproheptadine (my hay fever allergies have improved tremendously. I still need to work on gut serotonin.)

_________

More Recent:

Cascara (do a RP search engine) This works to help inflammation, swelling and restore proper water balance to counteract leaking fluids. I make a tea and it is soothing and relaxes tense muscles. I strongly recommend this- give it a try. It has definitely helped even though I have been using this for not even two months.

Black Cumin oil
Aloe

You can get these products at a health food store or online.

I know how frustrating it is and I hope you make some progress finding something that does help.

tara

I used to sometimes get orthostatic hypotension and a lot of brain-fades. I think it was from undereating. Seldom now.
Only time I had odd sole of foot sensations - random tingles and pin-prick sensations - was when I had a lower back disk prolapse - can give symptoms anywhere below.
I still get cold feet, but maybe not quite as bad. Woolley sock and slippers and electric blanket help.

OP
B

Ben

mas said:
Hi Ben,

I have quite a few of the same issues that you have. I remember a while back you mentioned that you were going to see a cardiologist- did you get any information from that?

I have cold feet in spite of NDT, I may move on to something stronger. Did thyroid have any effect for you? Your needle sensations on your bottom feet sound like neuropathy- I also have mild neuropathy in my toes.

T3/T4: Have you tried this combination instead of just T3?

According to RP, the orthostatic hypotension is caused by leaky gut by estrogen , serotonin, prostaglandins, histamine, Nitric Oxide, etc…and leaky vasculature in the legs and intestine, gut. What happens is fluid leaks out of the vessels and the blood volume drops, and you can’t get a decent blood volume pumping up to the heart, brain and peripheral blood vessels. Brain fog is caused by lack of adequate blood flow to the brain.

Dr. David Bell, a CFS doctor and his associate Dr. David Streeten, tested some of Bell’s “CFS” patients and they had to use a sophisticated nuclear tracing test (this is NOT a common diagnostic tool, but rather used more in research studies). They found that the patients low blood volume ranged from 5% to 30%. (30% is huge-that is almost 1/3 of the total blood volume.) Heart and brain cognitive issues are definitely related to orthostatic hypotension

I am working on healing my gut because I have had lots of gut problems from a young age, and I think the gut is where my issues with the orthostatic hypotension need to be addressed. The gut definitely influences the brain.

What I have tried:

Ray Peat diet principles
Progest-E
Pregnenolone
vitamins & minerals (still working on this too)
NutriPak NDT
Cyproheptadine (my hay fever allergies have improved tremendously. I still need to work on gut serotonin.)

_________

More Recent:

Cascara (do a RP search engine) This works to help inflammation, swelling and restore proper water balance to counteract leaking fluids. I make a tea and it is soothing and relaxes tense muscles. I strongly recommend this- give it a try. It has definitely helped even though I have been using this for not even two months.

Black Cumin oil
Aloe

You can get these products at a health food store or online.

I know how frustrating it is and I hope you make some progress finding something that does help.
When I tried T4 alone, it worsened my metabolism to the point where I felt noticably colder. Then when I added T3, that went away and my teachers noticed my facial complexion improved and school performance and all improved. But now when I take T3, I don't notice a thing. My problem probably isn't in the realm of thyroid. It doesn't help my cold feet or reduce the size of my veins. Btw, isn't NDT just iodine or something like that?

I read about leakiness, but never considered I would have it. It's hard for me to bruise and I don't even use ice packs, so I thought I would be free of that.

As for your gut, I would recommend kefir, lactose-free if possible. When I drank some everyday for a week or two, my diarrhea from orange juice went away and I can now drink the amount I feel like drinking and not worry. I didn't drink kefir for two weeks and the results stayed.

I tried progest-E, but it didn't make my veins even a bit smaller, even in large amounts. Same with vitamin E. Maybe it is low adrenalin. I'm a bit excited all the time around people, but rarely get cottonmouth, constricted veins, and other symptoms that adrenalin gives. The only time I can recall is when I had physical fights with my brother and was afraid that he would hurt me. My dentist said I metabolize adrenalin (which she uses to block pain receptors) much quicker than other people.

Speaking of that, when I took acid in the past, it always made my hands cold and made me shiver. I wonder what it means.

Pregnenolone didn't seem to do much for me, although it did have a slight stimulant effect. How would it help? It's mostly an inactive hormone, no?

Cypro is...expensive. Haha. It is relaxing and I like it, but I'm hesitant about taking psychoactive supplements because tolerance always builds, and I often forget to take supplements. So I wouldn't want to feel worse than I normally would.

About leakiness, how well does vitamin K work? It clots blood so it shouldn't leak out (assuming "fluid" is blood, admittedly I don't know much about this particular topic).

Have epsom salts helped you?

And cascara and the other 2, I'll look them up. I don't even know what they do.

OP
B

Ben

tara said:
I used to sometimes get orthostatic hypotension and a lot of brain-fades. I think it was from undereating. Seldom now.
Only time I had odd sole of foot sensations - random tingles and pin-prick sensations - was when I had a lower back disk prolapse - can give symptoms anywhere below.
I still get cold feet, but maybe not quite as bad. Woolley sock and slippers and electric blanket help.
I never thought anyone would recommend electric blankets. I thought about getting one, but don't they have fire retardants in them? I don't know if even they would work though, my feet only warm up once I start to feel too hot, which is at like a room temp of 90 degrees if I'm in my underwear. And my knees are similarly cold, dunno if that's normal.

natedawggh

Ben said:
I had some of these issues for as long as I can remember. But cold feet and episodes of needle sensations on the bottom of my feet are new ones. I also feel more brain dead than ever. I took T3 with no noticeable effects. I don't take anything anymore. Nothing works.

I wouldn't be surprised if my brain had a blood flow deficit. For many years, I would lose my vision or even pass out when I stood up or stretched. I had a lazy, inflexible brain since i was a kid. I never acheived anything, never had any consistency, planning and holding things in my memory and making complex decisions was hard for me. I can generally only have momentary brain activity, not capable of anything high energy perhaps that demands consistently high blood flow. I gave up on succeeding in anything because I just know from experience that I can't discipline myself.

What is wrong with my circulatory system and how do I help it?

Hi Ben,

I also have varicocelle, it's often uncomfortable. I found that natural vitamin E greatly reduces its severity (because essentially varicocelle is the cause of and is worsened by estrogen accompanying the condition) and vitamin E blocks estrogen powerfully. Taking selenium extends the life of vitamin E in the body, where before I got about four hours of relief from vit. E with selenium it seems to go for eight or so.
I have also been taking lysine and fever few to block serotonin, and that has had some nice effects, but taking these will make you tired for the first month, if you exert yourself at all, because you are essentially stopping the stress response. It's imporrntant if you take those not to abruptly stop, otherwise you will get a serotonin headache (a migraine). And also to support your metabolism while taking them with plenty of regular sugar and protien.
You should also greatly increase your protein intake. I've had a great help by consuming casein powder. Whey and other sources have too much tryptophan and easily convert to serotonin, thus invalidating the use of lysine and feverfew. Casein is lower in tryptophan and if you feel a serotonin headache coming on just take more lysine and feverfew. Cafeine also supports this (cafeine withdrawal is also a serotonin headache). I try to get at least 120 grams of total protein a day. But you can do more and if you get at least 80 it should help.

natedawggh

Oh also... Yes, Protest E will not help varicocelle because the conversion of T to E is so strong during this condition, and Progest temproarily lowers T as well, with E rebounding much more quickly.

Pregnenolone will help, however, for a number of reasons... It deflates cells that have too much water, and also lets your body choose what to convert it to, which initially will be more testosterone and helpful hormones. Taken during the day at highest metabolism will help. I notice very specific muscle gains after taking pregnenolone when I am also taking protien. This is specifically the function of increased T. Don't take more than 300mg a week, however. Any more than that is more likely to convert to E, but at least 100mg a week can be very helpful.

I take magnesium chloride specifically for its effects on my feet circulation. Within 30 minutes it makes my feet more pliable and warm, and this effect lasts for a while. I alos recently tried chaga mushrooms and found it did the same thing but stronger, though I haven't had enough research on those to say much more.

mas

Blood components - by Wikipedia

About 55% of blood is blood plasma, a fluid that is the blood's liquid medium, which by itself is straw-yellow in color. The blood plasma volume totals of 2.7–3.0 liters (2.8–3.2 quarts) in an average human. It is essentially an aqueous solution containing 92% water, 8% blood plasma proteins, and trace amounts of other materials.

Whole Blood. Whole blood contains red cells, white cells, and platelets (~45% of volume) suspended in plasma (~55% of volume).

Low blood volume is decrease in volume of blood plasma, the fluid itself which should be in the blood vessels, but instead leaks out in the gut and compromised leaky vessels. Less blood volume increases red blood clumping also.

This also impedes the microcirculation of smaller vessels getting blood to the extremities like hands and feet, as well as underarms because I took my underarm temp along with oral temp when taking thyroid. The underarm temp should be just 1º lower than say your oral temp and my underarm temp was always low (in the range of 93-96 and it would fluctuate during the day). I am still working on this.

Taking oral temp with underarm is quite helpful. For me trying to figure out thyroid dosing is still an ongoing process.

Tara wrote:

I think this is definitely a factor that is associated with hypoglycemia so eating properly is a must.

I use vitamin K with a few aspirin daily. Have you tried this with any success?

Have epsom salts helped you?

Yes very helpful. Next I will try to make the magnesium water. And I will soon purchase niacinamide. Any luck with that?

Right now I am experimenting with the cascara which can be purchased at a health food store in the range of about $10 or so.

tara

Ben said:
tara said:
I never thought anyone would recommend electric blankets. I thought about getting one, but don't they have fire retardants in them? I don't know if even they would work though, my feet only warm up once I start to feel too hot, which is at like a room temp of 90 degrees if I'm in my underwear. And my knees are similarly cold, dunno if that's normal.

I don't know about where you are, but where I am there are electrical safety standards that should be applied to any electric blankets sold, and they recommend getting them checked every year, and don't fold them so that sharp creases can damage the wires. I guess there is not 100% safety guarantee, and I have heard one story of a destructive fire started by one.
I use one all winter and sometimes at other times. I turn it on an hour or two before bed, so that the bed is really warm when I get in, then turn it off before I get in myself, mostly because I'm dubious about the EMF effects of close proximity. I can't sleep if my feet are cold. I've been known to get out of bed to soak my feet in a bucket of hot water if they are too cold to sleep. Also wear warm pyjamas and lots of blankets. And I have woolly socks and woolly slippers that come half way up my calves.
Peat has said that cold feet can produce some problematic chemicals. I think it's worth doing what ever you need to to keep them warm.
I can have freezing feet and burning head and sweating torso at the same time when I'm unwell. High adrenaline is one thing that can do this, I think. Walking helps with this.

tara

natedawggh said:
I have also been taking lysine and fever few to block serotonin, and that has had some nice effects, but taking these will make you tired for the first month, if you exert yourself at all, because you are essentially stopping the stress response. It's imporrntant if you take those not to abruptly stop, otherwise you will get a serotonin headache (a migraine). And also to support your metabolism while taking them with plenty of regular sugar and protien.
You should also greatly increase your protein intake. I've had a great help by consuming casein powder. Whey and other sources have too much tryptophan and easily convert to serotonin, thus invalidating the use of lysine and feverfew. Casein is lower in tryptophan and if you feel a serotonin headache coming on just take more lysine and feverfew. Cafeine also supports this (cafeine withdrawal is also a serotonin headache). I try to get at least 120 grams of total protein a day. But you can do more and if you get at least 80 it should help.

Hi Natedawggh,
Your descriptions of serotonin-affecting chemicals interest me. I was not aware of caffeine being a direct anti-serotonin factor. That could partially explain my more severe migraines after drinking a bit more coffee. I'd been speculating about it being related to coffee increasing the conversion of T4 to T3, and the withdrawal therefore involving lower levels of both T4 and T3. If it also gives a serotonin rebound at the same time, that's a double whammy. Have you had any thoughts or experience with finding a way to lower serotonin that is not prone to severe withdrawal serotonin rebounds? Ta.

tara

tara said:
natedawggh said:

Hi Natedawggh,
Your descriptions of serotonin-affecting chemicals interest me. I was not aware of caffeine being a direct anti-serotonin factor. That could partially explain my more severe migraines after drinking a bit more coffee. I'd been speculating about it being related to coffee increasing the conversion of T4 to T3, and the withdrawal therefore involving lower levels of both T4 and T3. If it also gives a serotonin rebound at the same time, that's a double whammy. Have you had any thoughts or experience with finding a way to lower serotonin that is not prone to severe withdrawal serotonin rebounds? Ta.
And do you happen to have any information about whether chocolate/cocoa also tends to have this short-term serotonin-lowering effect followed by withdrawal serotonin rebound?

natedawggh

tara said:
tara said:
natedawggh said:

Hi Natedawggh,
And do you happen to have any information about whether chocolate/cocoa also tends to have this short-term serotonin-lowering effect followed by withdrawal serotonin rebound?

Hi Tara!

I was going to post about this, so I went ahead and did it:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6986&p=85628#p85628

As to cocoa, I would say YES because the compounds in it that increase metabolism would lower serotonin, and cocoa is known to lower serotonin in the way coffee does, but I don't think it would be as strong or pronounced, and you'd probably have to eat too much to get the same effect which would load you with too much iron??? Just postulating.

tara

Thanks natedawggh. Reading your other thread now. I'm suspecting I have been eating enough chocolate lately that this could be contributing - I generally only eat much chocolate at work, and my migraines have been coming on more at weekends. Thinking I need to reduce it, but struggling to follow through.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals