Coke

Des Esseintes

Wondering, are there drawbacks to consuming acidic sodas?

What are the positives of coke?

Is it so detrimental to the alkalizing foods in ones diet?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
A positive would be as convenient source of sugar. You can use the cronometer to make sure you are meeting all your nutritional needs. I think the acid nature of coke is from the CO2 which isn't a negative from a Peat perspective. I don't think coke is absolutely necessary but it can be incorporated into a healthful diet. If you are concerned about the acid harming your teeth you can always rinse your mouth with water after drinking it.

Mittir

Des Esseintes said:
Is it so detrimental to the alkalizing foods in ones diet?

RP describes alkalinity and acidity in terms of minerals.
Sodium, potassium, magnesium and calcium are alkaline minerals.
Phosphorus is acidifying minerals. He also added protein
as acid forming. Meat, beans and nuts are high in
phosphorus, protein and low in alkaline minerals.
KMUD alkaline and acid interview goes in detail explaining
how cellular activities control acidity and alkalinity of blood and cell.
He did not mention anything about acid in food altering pH of blood and cell.
He only drinks mexican coke which has pure sugar not high fructose corn syrup.
Besides CO2, there is some caffeine in it.
There is about 40 mg of phosphorus in 8 oz coke.
If you check nutritondata of coke, there is not much there.

litespirit

Blossom said:
A positive would be as convenient source of sugar. You can use the cronometer to make sure you are meeting all your nutritional needs. I think the acid nature of coke is from the CO2 which isn't a negative from a Peat perspective. I don't think coke is absolutely necessary but it can be incorporated into a healthful diet. If you are concerned about the acid harming your teeth you can always rinse your mouth with water after drinking it.

The problem with coke is the HFCS and the coloring agent: 4-methylimidazole, a known carcinogenic. Most people drink too much coke because of the advertizing and the brilliant marketing recipe: in a classic 12 ounce can you have 55mg of salt, 34mg of caffeine and 40gr of cheap HFCS. Pee a lot, drink a lot and on and on..Difficult to control.
I still remember my soda days: the extra-pounds, the hypersomnia.. I can use or recommend that stuff occasionally to replace caffeine, sugar or salt but I would never ever incorporate it into my diet. No way.

I'll be happy to hear your opinions on this.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
litespirit said:
Blossom said:

The problem with coke is the HFCS and the coloring agent: 4-methylimidazole, a known carcinogenic. Most people drink too much coke because of the advertizing and the brilliant marketing recipe: in a classic 12 ounce can you have 55mg of salt, 34mg of caffeine and 40gr of cheap HFCS. Pee a lot, drink a lot and on and on..Difficult to control.
I still remember my soda days: the extra-pounds, the hypersomnia.. I can use or recommend that stuff occasionally to replace caffeine, sugar or salt but I would never ever incorporate it into my diet. No way.

I'll be happy to hear your opinions on this.
You by no means have to drink coke on a Peat inspired approach. I have easy access to mexican coke and usually have a couple per week. This is a personal choice because sometimes I need a convenient source of sugar. I do use the cronometer and find the occasional coke has no negative impact on me personally. A year ago I would have never touched the stuff but now I realize that for certain situations it can be a helpful tool. I am careful to balance calcium and phosphorus and track this with the cronometer as mentioned above.

Also beware of citric acid and BPA in the bottles/cans!

HDD

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=573&hilit=Mexican+coke&start=10

by Cliff

"4-Methylimidazole may be formed in the browning of certain foods through the Maillard reaction between carbohydrates and amino-containing compounds. In particular, it is found in roasted foods, grilled meats, coffee and in types of caramel coloring produced with ammonia-based processes

In at least one study 4-Methylimidazole is protective against tumors in mice "The present paper provides a more detailed evaluation of the evidence that 4-MEI exhibits tumor preventive activity in the rat based upon the results of the NTP bioassay. Reduced body weight offers a partial explanation for the reduction in tumors, but does not appear to be the primary cause of the decreased tumor incidences, indicating that 4-MEI itself may possess an ability to prevent tumor formation." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21075160

by tomisonbottom »

Hey Guys,
I emailed ray about the phosphoric acid in the coke.

My question to him:
"I was wondering if you would mind sharing on your opinion on the phosphoric acid found in Coke?
And/or would it be more beneficial to do bag breathing instead of drinking coke?
Or does Coke have specific special benefits?"

His answer:
"The coca leaf and cola seed extracts are valuable antiinflammatories.
The amount of phosphate is very small compared to the amount in meat, fish, beans, nuts, and grains."

litespirit

Haagendazendiane said:
http://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=573&hilit=Mexican+coke&start=10

by Cliff

"4-Methylimidazole may be formed in the browning of certain foods through the Maillard reaction between carbohydrates and amino-containing compounds. In particular, it is found in roasted foods, grilled meats, coffee and in types of caramel coloring produced with ammonia-based processes

In at least one study 4-Methylimidazole is protective against tumors in mice "The present paper provides a more detailed evaluation of the evidence that 4-MEI exhibits tumor preventive activity in the rat based upon the results of the NTP bioassay. Reduced body weight offers a partial explanation for the reduction in tumors, but does not appear to be the primary cause of the decreased tumor incidences, indicating that 4-MEI itself may possess an ability to prevent tumor formation." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21075160

Alright, I went to the same website and found this:

The incidences of alveolar/bronchiolar adenoma in all exposed groups of females, alveolar/bronchiolar carcinoma in 1,250 ppm males, and alveolar/bronchiolar adenoma or carcinoma (combined) in 1,250 ppm males and 625- and 1,250 ppm females were significantly greater than those in the control groups. The incidence of alveolar epithelial hyperplasia was significantly increased in the 1,250 ppm females. 4MI is carcinogenic inducing alveolar/bronchiolar adenoma and carcinoma in male and female mice. 4MI may also induce mononuclear cell leukemia in female rats.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17619857

For me, 4MI is not safe. Sodas contain a significant amount of it.

tigerlily96

litespirit said:
Haagendazendiane said:
http://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=573&hilit=Mexican+coke&start=10

by Cliff

Alright, I went to the same website and found this:

The incidences of alveolar/bronchiolar adenoma in all exposed groups of females, alveolar/bronchiolar carcinoma in 1,250 ppm males, and alveolar/bronchiolar adenoma or carcinoma (combined) in 1,250 ppm males and 625- and 1,250 ppm females were significantly greater than those in the control groups. The incidence of alveolar epithelial hyperplasia was significantly increased in the 1,250 ppm females. 4MI is carcinogenic inducing alveolar/bronchiolar adenoma and carcinoma in male and female mice. 4MI may also induce mononuclear cell leukemia in female rats.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17619857

For me, 4MI is not safe. Sodas contain a significant amount of it.

Hmm, for a Coke drinker like me, that is a worry :?

schultz

A positive: It has no vitamin c so I can drink it with liver, which is about once a week.

Ray is smarter and has done more research than all of us put together... if he is not that worried about 4-MI then I am not either. Although I don't usually like to put trust in people willy nilly, Ray has done more for my health than anybody on this planet so I tend to trust him more than other people.

I regularly drink about a litre of coke with my servings of liver.

Just make sure it doesn't displace other sources of sugar like OJ (which includes potassium and other anti-estrogen good stuff) and afterwards make sure to rinse the mouth with salt -- allowing teeth to bathe in phosphoric acid isn't a good idea for maintaining/remineralising tooth enamel. If you can't rinse your mouth, then chew gum to promote saliva which'll quickly neutralise the acid.

achillea

Just to let you all know, I was at Home Depot in Colorado today, May 25, 2016 and they were having a Memorial Day sale on Mexican Coke near the lumber area check out section. It was $22.96 for 24 bottles. That is a good price for it around here.

michael94

Kosher coke also uses sugar I believe, have some hebrew symbol on the cap. Still not in a glass bottle though not sure how much of a concern the plastic is.

mt_dreams

I've never seen kosher Coke, is it pretty rare?

If you live in an area that has jewish people, it will be common. I see it all the time in the public's near my vacation rental in florida.

On another note. for anybody in cananda that doesn't have access to old time pepsi or kosher coke, the president's choice brand has a cherry coke made with cane sugar. I'm not sure how safe the ingredient calcium disodium edta, but the taste was nice. It's no virgil's, but it's a decent alternative.

M

marikay

If you live in an area that has jewish people, it will be common. I see it all the time in the public's near my vacation rental in florida.

On another note. for anybody in cananda that doesn't have access to old time pepsi or kosher coke, the president's choice brand has a cherry coke made with cane sugar. I'm not sure how safe the ingredient calcium disodium edta, but the taste was nice. It's no virgil's, but it's a decent alternative.

Kosher For Passover Coke (KFP Coke) is only available during Passover. Passover happens every Spring for eight days. High Fructose Corn Syrup (made from corn of course) is kosher for most of the year but not during Passover, so the Coca-Cola company makes Coke with real sugar during this time. The KFP Coke comes in a two liter bottle and has a yellow cap with a Hebrew symbol on top. Passover is past for 2016, but you can find KFP Coke next year in grocery stores. And if it is not there, you can ask to manager to order some. I'm sure you can do this in Canada, Europe, and Australia as well.

Jayfish

Blue Sky is a great soda company. Organic ingredients, uses cane sugar. They don't have caffeine which I suppose some here wouldn't like but personally I prefer it. And it's pretty cheap, 79 cents a can.