Cognitive Effects Of Chewing

Amazoniac

I had no idea that there were so many publications on this topic, Trident doesn't waste time. It's impractical to try (I think Trident affected my word choice) to compile most of them here.

It can be an useful tool to relieve stress (that arises as antecipation or during problem solving for example) à la Raj's biting rodent. But if the person is not used to it, it might be distracting; it can also divert energy (I suppose that spontaneous chewing involves involuntary pauses at specific moments).

Some experiments exclude confounding ingredients or even the gum itself (sport call'd 'air chewing').

- Chewing gum selectively improves aspects of memory in healthy volunteers
- Chewing gum differentially affects aspects of attention in healthy subjects
- Effects of chewing in working memory processing
- Chewing gum can produce context-dependent effects upon memory
- Mastication for the mind—The relationship between mastication and cognition in ageing and dementia
- Chewing gum alleviates negative mood and reduces cortisol during acute laboratory psychological stress
- Effects of chewing on cognitive processing speed
- Chewing gum and context-dependent memory: The independent roles of chewing gum and mint flavour
- Effects of chewing gum on cognitive function, mood and physiology in stressed and non-stressed volunteers
- Chewing gum, stress and health
- Cognitive advantages of chewing gum. Now you see them, now you don't
- Effects of chewing gum on mood, learning, memory and performance of an intelligence test
- Chewing Gum Moderates Multi-Task Induced Shifts in Stress, Mood, and Alertness: A Re-Examination
- Chewing gum and cognitive performance: a case of a functional food with function but no food?
- Medicated chewing gum

There's a lot more if you search for it, it's insane.

Last edited:

CLASH

In combination with an antimicrobial for the mouth seems like a good combination. The aspect that would be questionable would be its effects on gastric acid production and the migrating motor complex of the intestine during the fasted state. Even more important though: will it give you that “right angle” jaw line so that you can give all the ladies some NAD+ ;)

lampofred

I'm noticing that everything that energizes (lowers cortisol, increases dopamine/ATP) is considered rude. Chewing gum, wearing a hat, stretching.

Does having "good manners" have more to do with your body language being very submissive, less about actually being respectful?

Lee Simeon

I'm noticing that everything that energizes (lowers cortisol, increases dopamine/ATP) is considered rude. Chewing gum, wearing a hat, stretching.

Does having "good manners" have more to do with your body language being very submissive, less about actually being respectful?
Wearing a hat?

InChristAlone

Unless you have TMJ dysfunction!

I've been thinking about chewing gum the last few weeks or so. Yesterday I decided looking into the ingredients of Bubbaloo and Trident and both of them have vegetable oil in them in my country! I'm looking for a chewing gum that is free of PUFA and also has as little colouring and artificial tastes as possible.

I remember that when I used to chew gum( many years ago), it for sure reduced stress.

@Amazoniac, do you know about 'mewing'? According to doctors Mike Mew and John Mew, having strong jaw muscles is important for proper bone development. Also, since keeping the tongue on the roof of the mouth is also very essential, I would guess chewing gum all day will displace the tongue posture, which may have bad effects on the facial appearance.

Also, do you know if the gum base is harmful even if only chewed or is it harmful only if you swallow it?

haidut

Forum Supporter

I think you already know the answer :):

I feel like sleeping enough is also seen in a bad light nowadays. "If you're sleeping 9 hours a day, how do you get anything done?"

MarcelZD

I've been thinking about chewing gum the last few weeks or so. Yesterday I decided looking into the ingredients of Bubbaloo and Trident and both of them have vegetable oil in them in my country! I'm looking for a chewing gum that is free of PUFA and also has as little colouring and artificial tastes as possible.

I remember that when I used to chew gum( many years ago), it for sure reduced stress.

@Amazoniac, do you know about 'mewing'? According to doctors Mike Mew and John Mew, having strong jaw muscles is important for proper bone development. Also, since keeping the tongue on the roof of the mouth is also very essential, I would guess chewing gum all day will displace the tongue posture, which may have bad effects on the facial appearance.

A sensible strategy would be to chew hard/big gum 2-3x a week, just what you would do to induce hypertrophy in any other muscle. Gradually increase the intensity by adding more gum.

Constant chewing will ruin your jaw.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Yeah, I can't be good to be chewing gum all the time (especially because it can be a sign of coping to excessive stress). I would also avoid too much chewing if there's no food in the stomach.
Also, do you know if the gum base is harmful even if only chewed or is it harmful only if you swallow it?
People swallow this stuff for therapeutic purposes:
- Chios Gum Mastic: A Review of its Biological Activities

I don't know much about its safety for regular use as chewing gum, yet for being a plant resin, there's right away the risk of allereaigenciaty.

Various fruits, roots and leaves are fibrous and we find a way to separate the interesting parts before swallowing but could be using them for this purpose without issues. Picture the waste when food is run through masticating juicers.
I think that you're asking too many questions, someone needs to put you on your place; and I don't mean the library or under an apfel tree.

Last edited:
OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Ginger is neat option, it's quite fibrous:

upload_2019-5-12_20-45-28.png

If you don't own one of those juicers, you can peel and slice it (length-wise), add to a tea (to reduce its strength), and then chew it.

--
- The effect of hot beverages, cold beverages, and chewing gum on oral temperature

A sensible strategy would be to chew hard/big gum 2-3x a week, just what you would do to induce hypertrophy in any other muscle. Gradually increase the intensity by adding more gum.

Constant chewing will ruin your jaw.
I agree, thanks for the suggestion.

BrianF

Don't ever mistake good manners for *****-like behaviour; they are entirely different things. I can assure you of that, my friend!

BigChad

Both schools that I was a student in didn't allow the usage of caps during class. Go figure.

@baccheion What do you mean regarding wearing a hat or stretching being energizing? How does it lower cortisol. Wouldnt it be a negative to always wear a hat, it could lead to hair loss via the same reason socks can cause hair loss on feet and lower legs

JamesGatz

For the past few months I was chewing gum about 5+ hours a day mainly for the low serotonin/cognitive effects

it was starting to place some wear on my teeth so I began experimenting with different candy but not eating it and just letting it sit on my tongue/palate and I get very similar cognitive benefits to chewing without using my teeth - lollipops are best for this but now I have to find a decent brand - but yea if you want the cognitive effects but don't want to abuse your teeth I would recommend some hard candy like Jolly Ranchers or lollipops and just letting it rest on your tongue/palate

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals