Coffee Turkish Coffee Help

Momado965

So I made turkish coffee last night. I brewed 1 tabelspoon of coffee and 6 table spoons of sugar. Now I consumed that without filtering the coffee.; does roasted turkish coffee or any ground coffee have pufa in them?

Constatine

It's mostly just saturated fat. I don't think there is any significant amount of pufa.

OP
Momado965

Momado965

I found nutrition data regarding coffee. Turns out it has 8.1g of pufa, negligiable amounts of sfa mufa per 100g.

nikolabeacon

I mostly drink turkish(or bosnian coffee(-see on wiki)) un-filtered coffee. Coffee contains around 0.5-2 % of fats according to charts I checked. But i don 't see how filtering will change pufa amounts. You drink liquid only?

Un-filtered coffee have much more pronounced effect on raising total and LDL cholesterol and improving steroidogenesis.

Cholesterol-raising factor from boiled coffee does not pass a paper filter. - PubMed - NCBI

Full text--. https://www.google.rs/url?sa=t&sour...ghOMAw&usg=AFQjCNHylS7H_aMlv32dLaKzekz9AnDKiQ

This study shows now that even filtered coffee have that effect but still not as much as un-filtered. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition - Filtered coffee raises serum cholesterol: results from a controlled study

OP
Momado965

Momado965

I mostly drink turkish(or bosnian coffee(-see on wiki)) un-filtered coffee. Coffee contains around 0.5-2 % of fats according to charts I checked. But i don 't see how filtering will change pufa amounts. You drink liquid only?

Un-filtered coffee have much more pronounced effect on raising total and LDL cholesterol and improving steroidogenesis.

Cholesterol-raising factor from boiled coffee does not pass a paper filter. - PubMed - NCBI

Full text--. https://www.google.rs/url?sa=t&sour...ghOMAw&usg=AFQjCNHylS7H_aMlv32dLaKzekz9AnDKiQ

This study shows now that even filtered coffee have that effect but still not as much as un-filtered. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition - Filtered coffee raises serum cholesterol: results from a controlled study

Wow! This is confusing. I wonder how much fat coffee really contains. I know that ground turkish coffee is really light. A tabelspoon is about 8-9g.

nikolabeacon

I think 0.5( maybe up to 2)% of total fat content is pretty much correct. If it is more Peat would never recommend coffee i think.

nikolabeacon

Last edited:
OP
Momado965

Momado965

Hey. information was not correct. :D

There is 0.4-0.7 g of pufa per every 10-12 grams of ground beans. Or maybe little more since its roasted and concentration is increased slightly

Best to use paper filter than if you are concerned and drink more coffee

https://www.google.rs/url?sa=t&sour...gg0MAk&usg=AFQjCNE9UYgPD_zK7JpJlEMAHcyd5g1C6Q

Hey man. Thanks for the newer info haha.

I am not that worried about it as my total fat intake was rather low yesterday about 10 grams 7 of which are saturated and the rest are mufa and pufa. As long as saturated : unsaturated is 2:1 there wont be a problem, dont you think?

nikolabeacon

Now we are at least sure about real fat composition! :)

That is composition but extracted quantity is less than that . And if you read that article it is mentioned that even in scandinavian(or turkish) way of preparation it is extracted "only" about 1/5 of total fat content.

Anything above 1.5 to 2 % of total calories from PUFA in whatever form tend to slow down metabolism but when it comes to possible storage(and in the state and unability to burn them quickly) of PuFA I am not sure about that and I (currently) think that that part depends on form and state of that ingested PUFA and on current state of the metabolism.

Last edited:
OP
Momado965

Momado965

Now we are at least sure about real fat composition! :)

That is composition but extracted quantity is less than that . And if you read that article it is mentioned that even in scandinavian(or turkish) way of preparation it is extracted "only" about 1/5 of total fat content.

Anything above 1.5 to 2 % of total calories from PUFA in whatever form tend to slow down metabolism but when it comes to possible storage(and in the state and unability to burn them quickly) of PuFA I am not sure about that and I (currently) think that that part depends on form and state of that ingested PUFA and on current state of the metabolism.

Yeah, thank God for that! :):)

What do you mean by extracted quantity? I think that way of preparation leaves a lot of coffee bits at the bottom of the "ibrik" hence the 1/5 of the total fat content which is negligible.

To clarify I usually do not ingest more than 4g of pufa a day be it low or high calories which is about 3300. I only meant the ration with regards to yesterday.

OP
Momado965

Momado965

I just checked the data. Where does it say 0.7g pufa for every 15g of ground coffee? :eyes:

nikolabeacon

Total content of pufa is 4-6 grams per 100 g of coffee beans maybe 10-12 % more since that is the water content which is lost during roasting.
And yes it depends on preparation method.

"The amount in the drink is strongly dependent on the method of preparation and is directly related to the amount of total lipids in the brew. With filtered coffee prepared in a common household coffeemaker, the amount of lipids was less than 0.2 %. In contrast, when preparing an espresso, between 1-2 % of the lipids and thereby diterpenes as well, flow from the finely ground espresso coffee into the beverage.

When coffee was prepared Scandinavian(or Turkish) style, it contained even up to 22 % of the coffee fat. The proportional distribution of diterpenes in the coffee beverage was nearly identical to the distribution in the roasted coffee powder."

Yes. It is good to keep pufa under 4g on a 2500or3000 cal diet I think but what i said is that no matter the form of that PUFA everything above 1-2 % tends to slow down metabolism. But with that second speculation I wanted to say that when it comes to possibl accumulation of PUFA it doesn t depend only on quantity but on the form of that PUFA and your current state of metabolism(liver mainly) and (un)ability to burn them quickly and prevent storage which is undesirable .

And so even if you ingest less than that i am not sure that you are protected from accumulation since it still depends on those two factors...with.very limited intake you will only have less chance to promote slowing down of the metabolism but not necessarily to prevent accumulation since it depends those two factors. This is my current opinion based on some things that W.F Koch spoked about.

Here is my calculation :D @Momado965
Filtered Vs Un-filtered Coffee And Cholesterol

Last edited:
OP
Momado965

Momado965

I make turkish coffee the traditional way. Seems like I ingested a lot of pufa yesterday which is ***t because of active restriction and avoidance of pufa for the last month or so. What coffee would you recommend me to order if I were to go to a coffee shop?

nikolabeacon

How much ground coffee you used (in grams)?

I use standard finely ground medium roasted coffee for both turkish, and filter coffee. Maybe it is not particularly sophisticated but i have one brand that I like and do not want to use others. :) Just look for freshness maybe.

Xisca

Vitamin C Therapy
"Having coffee or non-homogenized milk (as homogenization destroys lactoferrin), or supplementing lactoferrin with iron-containing foods can help restrain the absorption of excess Iron. Personally I enjoy coffee with every meal, it serves this purpose, is easy and convenient, and provides other health benefits (an aside—coffee filtered through paper removes the fats which improve steroidogenesis, so coffee filtered through paper is not as helpful as coffee made otherwise)."
Not clear in the sentence if the fats improve steroidogenesis, or if the effect comes from filtering through paper....
But what is in bold seems his conclusion to better keep this fat by NOT using a paper filter...

As coffee is also about iron, I would like to understand more this stuff and the difference between iron and lactoferrin, and other forms of iron!

Herbie

The moccamaster would be one of the best machines to use as it is very simple to operate and uses paper filters.

Very popular in Scandinavia.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals