Coffee spikes Blood sugar?

Opinions?

Birdie

As for drinking coffee after breakfast, Ray's advice to always use milk and sugar with coffee might fit in well here. I have milky coffee first thing in the morning and keep it up until about 2pm. Then decaf. Sleeping really well this past few weeks for some reason.

akgrrrl

Same. but my coffee is milk, sugar, salt, ceylon cinnamon, cocoa, creamed coconut, and milk brought to reboil in a pan.
Then in winter I stir masa mixed in milk to thicken to velvety coco-choc-cinnamony gruel!
Its what mexico men drink before workdays begin early mornings.
As for drinking coffee after breakfast, Ray's advice to always use milk and sugar with coffee might fit in well here. I have milky coffee first thing in the morning and keep it up until about 2pm. Then decaf. Sleeping really well this past few weeks for some reason.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Opinions?

Coffee increases lipolysis to a greater extent than fat oxidation, meaning, more fatty acids will be in the blood, this more insulin is required to shuttle glucose into cells.
It doesn't seem to influence gluconeogenesis, so I'd say the increase in FFAs accounts to for biggest effect.

Short term studies show that coffee/caffeine might worsen insulin sensitivity, but long term studies show that it is neutral or even beneficial.

OP
H
Coffee increases lipolysis to a greater extent than fat oxidation, meaning, more fatty acids will be in the blood, this more insulin is required to shuttle glucose into cells.
It doesn't seem to influence gluconeogenesis, so I'd say the increase in FFAs accounts to for biggest effect.

Short term studies show that coffee/caffeine might worsen insulin sensitivity, but long term studies show that it is neutral or even beneficial.
Oh I see, what do you think is the best time to consume coffee? Since it spikes the blood sugar up and it takes a long while to come down.

skittles

Same. but my coffee is milk, sugar, salt, ceylon cinnamon, cocoa, creamed coconut, and milk brought to reboil in a pan.
Then in winter I stir masa mixed in milk to thicken to velvety coco-choc-cinnamony gruel!
Its what mexico men drink before workdays begin early mornings.
Is there a name for this?

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I drink one cup of coffee after I have eaten all my breakfast food so it is actually with breakfast. I used to drink 4 cups before eating anything and it wasn’t too long before I started to have a lot of adrenaline out of nowhere or so I thought.

@akgrrrl I, too, would like to know more about the masa drink.

akgrrrl

I drink one cup of coffee after I have eaten all my breakfast food so it is actually with breakfast. I used to drink 4 cups before eating anything and it wasn’t too long before I started to have a lot of adrenaline out of nowhere or so I thought.

@akgrrrl I, too, would like to know more about the masa drink.
I keep fresh decaf for this reason too. If I am making a pot larger than coupla 16oz-ers going past 1pm its decaf. I have way sensitive gaba receptors from doc prescribed benzos from long ago, and I loves my sleeptime to much. Cant even do dark choc late in the day.
What do you wanna know about masa? Just make sure to mix a big heaping TB with cold milk or water, then keep stirring it into gently heating coffee choc mix. As it cooks, it will get smooth and thicken.if you fail to mix it with cold, it will lump up and ruin.

Birdie

I never drank a single cup of coffee until I was 45. Then, discovered cappuccinos in Paris. When I got home it was Lattes forever. When I found Ray and he recommended milky coffee I felt right at home. I only started using sugar though when he said it worked better with sugar.

I find milk and sugar are a must with coffee to avoid adrenalin rushes.

@akgrrrl that atole sounds very good! I can't do chocolate later either.

jomamma007

"It's important not to drink coffee on an empty stomach, it should always be with food, since it increases the metabolic rate, and can deplete glycogen stores."-Ray Peat

akgrrrl

"It's important not to drink coffee on an empty stomach, it should always be with food, since it increases the metabolic rate, and can deplete glycogen stores."-Ray Peat
Good post! This is another reason the atole is so good. Its a hot grain gruel, sweet with cinnamon, choc and sugar, made rich by the creamed coconut and whole milk. For me, I have a ritual of putting my niacinimide, glycine, etc in my second cuppa and off I go!

Hans

Forum Supporter
Oh I see, what do you think is the best time to consume coffee? Since it spikes the blood sugar up and it takes a long while to come down.
With or after a meal is a good time. First thing in the morning with sugar is also fine as long as you don't wait too long before a snack or meal, else the caffeine might drop glycogen too quickly, which is especially a problem after an overnight fast.

Birdie

Thank you!

Birdie

I find plenty of milk and sugar with a little instant coffee is good first thing in the morning. We have breakfast later now but I used to have to eat before coffee and within ah hour of getting up.

After lots of time with Peat principles, this changed so I can do the milky coffee first. I'm sure coffee alone wouldn't work but I don't think any of us mean coffee alone when we say Coffee. Or am I wrong there?

reality

I always drank my coffee black (before finding peat) and always had terrible reactions. Anxiety, jittery/wired feeling. Stimmed up but not in a good mood.

Since trying it with milk and sugar, it’s the complete opposite and I get a great reaction. Improved mood, stable energy and just an all round good feeling.

jomamma007

I always drank my coffee black (before finding peat) and always had terrible reactions. Anxiety, jittery/wired feeling. Stimmed up but not in a good mood.

Since trying it with milk and sugar, it’s the complete opposite and I get a great reaction. Improved mood, stable energy and just an all round good feeling.
Black coffee or calorie free monsters/rockstars immediately upon waking resulted in 10 year of anxiety filled days I'll never get back. Eating before caffeine made a big difference. Some can get away with it with good thyroid and liver function, but most of us are run down and should get some fuel first thing in the AM before any stimulants.