Coffee Is Good For You—unless It’s Not!

milk_lover

Read about chris kresser reviews online. They are mostly negative! I followed him in my paleo days and my health went to the worse day after day. He is a seller, while Ray Peat is a scientist. You pick.

OP
S

slayers

Do you think coffee benefits both slow and faster metabolizers?

Zachs

halken said:
post 117841 Chris Kresser is a moron.

Yep, I remember him comparing all food groups and concluding that fruit was the least nutrient dense. There was so much wrong with his work, I couldn't believe anyone took him serious.

Last edited by a moderator:

tyw

Hey @tyw, why do you think that some people have such intense cravings for coffee while others are repulsed by it? What's the usual thing in question?

No clue TBH. Probably very context specific. I have no clue how cravings work, nor if the concept of addiction is just an extreme craving, nor how the opposite works. Too many data points and too many different outcomes for me to make any pattern out of it, and thus I don't bother trying to ask why, and just chase practical results.

Also no idea how much habitual adaptation and idiosyncrasies in taste preference change this stuff. My dad is one of those weird people who must have "just a pinch of sugar" in his coffee, and no more, else the damn thing "tastes bad". My mum is addicted to instant coffee (SE-Asian habit) ..... and doesn't like "too strong" single origin brews, and would drink instant coffee every day. I gave up on coffee because I thought it was pointless and boring and "yet another dependency" :penguin:

Another weird one is nicotine .... no idea why so many smokers find it hard to quit, whereas I see enough people who dose in gum form, despite matching doses and kinetics, who can just pop on and off with no problem. I am one of those people BTW ;) who can go 30+mg from gum one day, and then drop it the next day with no problems. Use it in gum maybe once every 2-3 weeks, just for fun. Always hated smoke of any form though (regardless of whether it was tobacco or cannabis or DMT any other burnt / vaporised drug source)

Again, I gave up on trying to explain this stuff .... and just focused on whether consumption of a particular substance had benefits that outweighed the risks.

Last edited:

Constatine

Hey @tyw, why do you think that some people have such intense cravings for coffee while others are repulsed by it? What's the usual thing in question?
I find it interesting that children are repulsed by coffee while adults would opt to bath in it. Perhaps it is a substance only loved if one is hypothyroid.

Kate

Read about chris kresser reviews online. They are mostly negative! I followed him in my paleo days and my health went to the worse day after day. He is a seller, while Ray Peat is a scientist. You pick.
Coffee all the way!! :happy::smack:handpointleft:chris kresser

Mito

Another weird one is nicotine .... no idea why so many smokers find it hard to quit, whereas I see enough people who dose in gum form, despite matching doses and kinetics, who can just pop on and off with no problem.
Possibly rs1051730 CHRNA3 (Cholinergic receptor nicotinic alpha 3 subunit) SelfDecode | Genome Analysis

tyw

Do you feel too low sympathetically without the nicotine?

Nope. I've done nicotine chronically before (months of daily use), at daily doses closer to the 8-16mg range. Coming off of chronic use, there is definitely a difference in mental performance (decreased) and overall excess jitteriness, which took about a week to fully recover from.

But with:

- Not so frequent use (once a fortnight at most)

- No habitual use of any stimulants other than moderate green / black tea consumption (like 1 cup a day on average). Definitely no coffee or caffeine

- Nicotine use only on chill out days -- don't like nicotine in social settings, definitely don't like it with exercise, and definitely not with alcohol

- lots of "methylation support" during high nicotine days -- Molybdenum at least 300mcg x 4 during the day, Manganese at least 10mg x 3, Lithium Orotate usually 10mg, and 5-MHTF at high doses (usually at least half the gram amount of nicotine times 1000 => 30mg nicotine with 15,000mg 5-MTHF). Basically keeping COMT activity high and methyl donors in abundance to clear any by-products quickly.

and nicotine in this context feels more like happy pill TBH. A day with a sudden spike in dopamine and metabolic rate, while amplifying existing emotions and generally having a lot of energy and motivation to do stuff, with full suppression of appetite, and generally good gut health outcomes after the fact

SIDENOTE: a lot of people report having better bowel movements on nicotine, which I definitely experienced to be true. If the side effects of chronic use were not that bad, I wouldn't mind this drug at all.​

Possibly rs1051730 CHRNA3 (Cholinergic receptor nicotinic alpha 3 subunit) SelfDecode | Genome Analysis

Welp, just checked, and I am GG for rs1051730, which supposedly is the type to not be prone to nicotine dependency.

Also checked my methylation report, and I do not have any "bad" allele for COMT related SNPs:
- COMT rs6269
- COMT -61 P199P rs769224
- COMT H62H rs4633
- COMT V158M rs4680

Which probably allows for faster clearance of nicotine and lack of addictive behaviour.

Heh, actually TBH, I've done 60mg in a day before :p. Realised that the 4mg nicorette packs come in five 15-piece slabs, and I've definitely used an entire slab in a day (with all the methylation support listed above of course). DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME PEOPLE!!! :spitoutdummy:

Last edited:
Molybdenum at least 300mcg x 4 during the day, Manganese at least 10mg x 3, Lithium Orotate usually 10mg, and 5-MHTF at high doses (usually at least half the gram amount of nicotine times 1000 => 30mg nicotine with 15,000mg 5-MTHF). Basically keeping COMT activity high and methyl donors in abundance to clear any by-products quickly.

????? gotta try this lol

tyw

15,000mg 5-MTHF ???

lel, the units I were thinking of were wrong ..... that's 15mg total, not 15,000mg.

The mistake was made because most manufacturers of 5-MHTF will sell 400 mcg or 1,000 mcg tablets, and I was thinking in micrograms to account for the microgram dosing.

That's 15 x 1mg tablets through the day, spread evenly through the day due to 5-MTHF excretion kinetics.

Should also mention that I only view the calcium and glucosamine salts of L-5-MHTF to be considered safe and well studied.