Coffee In Relation To Risks Of Alot Form Of Cancers - Biggest Meta Study Ever

Quality

Since so many coffee lovers on here I thought I decided to post this, im surprised nobody else has yet before me:
Coffee and cancer risk: A meta-analysis of prospective observational studies : Scientific Reports

coffeecancermetastudy2016b.gif

Keep in mind that there is a STRONG connection between smoking,coffee and alcohol consumption.

OP
Q

Quality

So many coffee junkys out here on peat forum, just 1 reply? all sticking your heads in the sand then.

denise

Insulting the community as a whole is perhaps not the best way to encourage participation in the discussion.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
OP
Q

Quality

Nothing to do with insulting, more to do with a wake up call.
Whenever a positive paper on coffee is released its all hyped on here, its like: oh see coffee is soooooooooo good after all.

OP
Q

Quality

Besides if you feel offended by being called a coffee junky in a sarcastic way thats your problem.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Last edited:

Herbie

"Our study demonstrates that coffee intake can reduce the risk of oral, pharynx cancer, colon cancer, liver cancer, prostate cancer endometrial cancer and melanoma by 31%, 13%, 54%, 11%, 27% and 11% respectively for the highest versus lowest coffee intake. Furthermore, coffee intake could reduce the risk of liver cancer, prostate cancer and endometrial cancer by 27%, 3% and 12% with an increment of 2 cups of coffee intake. Inversely, coffee intake seems could increase the risk of lung cancer by 118%. However, considering the shortcomings of our research, our conclusions should be carefully considered. Further studies are needed to clarify the potential underlying mechanisms by which coffee intake may reduce cancer risk. Perhaps add that further studies could assess the association among never smokers, particularly for smoking-related lung cancer."

I read this earlier today and didn't feel the need to say anything although its interesting, thank you for posting it.

Peater Piper

I found the smoking risk most interesting. I looked at the four studies that showed the association. These are quotes from two of the studies:

A positive association was found between coffee drinking and risk of lung cancer, also after adjustment for age, cigarette smoking, and county of residence. Residual confounding by cigarette smoking and other lifestyle factors cannot be ruled out.
There was a slight suggestion of a positive association between heavy coffee intake and the risk for lung and urinary bladder cancer, but it could be attributed to the confounding effects of cigarette smoking among the male coffee drinkers.

So they tried to adjust for smoking, but it's one of those things where someone can abstain from smoking, but second-hand exposure can still cause problems. Maybe coffee is indeed bad for the lungs, but I suspect it's not the coffee.

As for stomach cancer, coffee does has the potential to damage the mucus lining of the stomach, which may increase the risk of H. pylori infection. H. pylori increases the odds of stomach cancer while reducing the odds of esophageal cancer.

Overall, it seems coffee is generally protective, especially if you remove lung cancer from the equation.

Luann

Coffee's not like a huge part of the Peat frame. He called it an adaptogen, which refers to it helping against stress. But his points for avoiding stress are much bigger, like, stopping too many prostaglandins from being made, stopping some of the oxidation of lipid, not over-hydrating, than just, "coffee. Lots of coffee."

If you don't like it or find evidence that it's not as good as it's hyped to be, your prerogative is to not drink it and even challenge its use out loud here.

DaveFoster

Look at that liver cancer. Wow.

They're not controlling for people who drink their coffee black.

Tarmander

So many coffee junkys out here on peat forum, just 1 reply? all sticking your heads in the sand then.

You do know that people are in different time zones right? Like the five hours you gave this post before accusing everyone of scientific malfeasance was not a ringing endorsement for your reasonability.

As for the study, I am betting the lung cancer is in part from endotoxin. I have noticed gut flora changes and other digestion related symptoms that seem to worsen lung health.

I am surprised that renal cancer is low, as kidney trouble seems to be something people who drink a lot of coffee complain about.