Coffee Enemas And HRT

Moolie

Hi Everyone
I am new to this forum. I had Hodgkin's Disease in 2001/2 and have been doing coffee enemas once or twice a week ever since then, to maintain health. However, since I started bio-identical HRT last July, I can't hold them like I used to - I struggle to hold for a few minutes now. Even if I have a 'wash out' beforehand (which I have rarely had to do before) I almost always can't hold it.
When I first started the HRT, I had 5 days a month off the progesterone element and it seemed that I could hold them during that period. But, I was told to stop having a break in February, so I am having both elements continuously now.
Is this 'normal' on HRT? I have had blood tests to check for anaemia and raised white blood cells (which I had before with cancer) but all is fine and I feel well otherwise.

DesertRat

I'd be cautious about taking estrogen. It works as a stress hormone. I also do regular coffee enemas (did them daily for 3-4 years, now 1 or 2 a week) and I found that whenever I had an exposure to mold or another toxin that I was reactive to, I could not hold the coffee. It was bizarre in the sense that those would be the times I needed the CE the most. But any kind of stress, whether physical from exertion, temperature extremes, diet, exposures, or emotional, raises estrogen. So my guess is that the estrogen in the HRT is raising your stress level Moolie. Most people on this forum take progesterone or pregnenolone, both of which support the adrenals without (usually) increasing stress.

OP
M

Moolie

Via trial and error over the last year, I have discovered that I am sensitive to progesterone, even the micronised bio-identical form that I am taking. It makes me depressed, lethargic, brain-fogged and I have mood swings, a bit like permanent PMS. So progesterone only is a no-no for me. I avoided HRT for as long as I could. I kept hoping my flushes would stop and I would be able to sleep properly. I need the oestrogen to stop the flushes. When the balance of oestrogen / prog is right for me, I feel very good again...like my 'old self'.

JessFields

I'd be cautious about taking estrogen. It works as a stress hormone. I also do regular coffee enemas (did them daily for 3-4 years, now 1 or 2 a week) and I found that whenever I had an exposure to mold or another toxin that I was reactive to, I could not hold the coffee. It was bizarre in the sense that those would be the times I needed the CE the most. But any kind of stress, whether physical from exertion, temperature extremes, diet, exposures, or emotional, raises estrogen. So my guess is that the estrogen in the HRT is raising your stress level Moolie. Most people on this forum take progesterone or pregnenolone, both of which support the adrenals without (usually) increasing stress.

DesertRat,
Did you experience caffeine withdrawal when you cut back from daily coffee enemas? I am experiencing this currently.

To the OP, have you tried using a saline solution to make your coffee? This may be easier to hold. It doesn't address the underlying issue, but is an idea.

tara

Hi Moolie,
It's always hard for us amateurs across the Internet to really know what's going on with ourselves, let alone someone else, but especially if we only see a couple of snippets of information. There could be more factors influencing your sleep and flushing. Do you want to give a bit more information, eg about what and how much you are eating, etc?

I think running out of glycogen can be one way to trigger sweats and insomnia. Getting enough of the alkaline minerals can also be important. Getting regular sunshine and maintaining good CO2 levels can make a difference to lots of things.

If overall metabolism is a bit on the low side, that could be having an effect. Have you had a go at monitoring your body temps as one simple DIY indication about your metabolism?

I used to have night sweats and occasional insomnia; seldom now. For me, I think changes in diet and nutrition, as well as and learning to make at least small improvements to breathing habits may have been part of the difference. I've not tried coffee enemas for my issues yet.

OP
M

Moolie

HRT, i am sorry to say, is the only thing that has worked to control my flushes. And i don't have insomnia: i was only woken up by flushes, sometimes hourly through the night. When i developed thyroid problems (hypo) a few years ago (i have been stable on meds for over a year now) i did all the temperature taking & monitoring, and saliva cortisol testing then. My temp was stable, my cortisol started on the high side but i got it back down to normal levels within a year using Holy Basil etc. None of this made any difference to the menopausal flushes. The only thing that has made a difference (i tried all the usual natural remedies over 5 years with no success), is the oestrogen element of the HRT, and i am now back to having good sleep again.

tara

Glad you are getting good sleep - makes a big difference.
HRT, i am sorry to say, is the only thing that has worked to control my flushes.
Since it's pretty difficult (impossible?) to test all factors and combinations, and I don't know what 'normal natural remedies' might mean, I'm not sure what you tried. If you feel like saying more:
- Did it include getting regular sunshine on your skin?
- Addressing breathing habits? Is your breathing at rest pretty reliably relaxed, nasal, diaphragmatic including during sleep?
- What kind and quantity of diet? Have you run it through cronometer or similar to get a rough idea of what nutrition it is supplying? (Ignoring it's restrictive/generally low calorie recommendations)
When i developed thyroid problems (hypo) a few years ago (i have been stable on meds for over a year now) i did all the temperature taking & monitoring, and saliva cortisol testing then. My temp was stable, my cortisol started on the high side but i got it back down to normal levels within a year using Holy Basil etc.
What body temperature have you stabilised at now? Do you have other indicators of how your metabolism is going now? Eg maintenance calorie consumption?

I'm still curious about food/blood sugar/glycogen and related nutrients related to metabolising sugars - hence the question about nutrition. I believe these were key factors for me waking up sweating in the night, and key to why it hardly ever happens now.

But only if you want to share more.

Most people on this forum take progesterone or pregnenolone, both of which support the adrenals without (usually) increasing stress.
I've seen Peat favourably about progesterone and pregnelolone in a number of contexts, and I have nothing against people trying and using them if they seem good. I'm a bit skeptical about your the basis of you statistical claim, though. :)

OP
M

Moolie

Yes, i do get regular sunshine, outside every day with the dogs, mucking out horses, gardening, playing tennis. My breathing is ok. No, i don't want to go into any detail with my diet etc. I have been fine for years, no night sweats, no day sweats, and weight is stable. I became menopausal 5 years ago and after a year, started to have flushes 24/7. I tried increasing phytoestrogens in diet, acupuncture, black cohosh, mung beans, sage, evening primrose oil - nothing worked. Oestrogen in HRT has remedied the flushes, and i need to take progesterone too because of still having a womb. I am sensitive to the progesterone component as many women are...the doctors at the menopause clinic and the forums i have seen attest to this.

My initial question was concerned with the commonality (if any) of women starting HRT and then being unable to hold enemas. If no-one knows, that's fine but i feel we have deviated somewhat from this initial query