Coffee [Cortisol, Estrogen]

juanitacarlos

Hi everyone. Just something I'm curious about. I was under the impression that coffee elevates cortisol levels. Is this true? If so, why is that tolerated in a Peat diet? Don't get me wrong, I love coffee. :dance I've just read so much about it's negative effects, and wondered what Peat's stand is on that. I've had several health professionals advise that I stay away from all caffeine to cure my 'adrenal fatigue'. Is this just nonsense?

PeatFeat

Re: Coffee/caffeine

I think it has to do with the caffeine having a positive effect on testosterone/estrogen ratio which indirectly lowers stress. Your also supposed to put some sugar in it which lowers stress.

Asimov

It's likely that coffee doesn't raise cortisol, but it does prevent it from dropping at a normal rate. Since cortisol is highest in the morning, it may be reason to take it later in the day, but the benefits of coffee are probably worth the cortisol dysregulation (in healthy, non massively stressed people)

Coffee has been shown to have positive health benefits on everything from type II diabetes to endometrial cancer.

jyb

Have you taken into account the fact that caffeine taken with sugar is not the same as caffeine on an empty stomach - as RP wrote about?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Jenn

ttramone said:
Hi everyone. Just something I'm curious about. I was under the impression that coffee elevates cortisol levels. Is this true? If so, why is that tolerated in a Peat diet? Don't get me wrong, I love coffee. :dance I've just read so much about it's negative effects, and wondered what Peat's stand is on that. I've had several health professionals advise that I stay away from all caffeine to cure my 'adrenal fatigue'. Is this just nonsense?
Yes, it's just nonsense! :D ;)

OP
juanitacarlos

juanitacarlos

Jenn said:
ttramone said:
Yes, it's just nonsense! :D ;)

Yep! It appears that way Jenn!

tomisonbottom

Coffee and estrogen and cortisol

Hello,

I am new to Ray Peat and am fascinated by this articles.
I have been all over the map with my diets.
I started out doing the Wai diet which is just fruit, healthy oils and raw meat.
THen I did paleo after I was convinced of the long term health consequences of sugar in the diet.
Then I came across this in my search to lower my estrogen.

I am still having a hard time grasping the sugar thing but I don't really care about anything except getting my hormones fixed right now. I have estrogen dominance which has almost ruined my life so it is my top priority to lower it.

I just read the hormone cure by Sara Gottfried and she very strongly advocates NO coffee because it raises cortisol.
She says cortisol, progesterone, estrogen and thyroid hormones are all interlinked.
Also I have read this:
"Women who consumed at least 500 milligrams of caffeine daily, the equivalent of four or five cups of coffee, had nearly 70% more estrogen during the early follicular phase than women consuming no more than 100 mg of caffeine daily, or less than one cup of coffee. This study provides a basis for believing that coffee consumption increases estradiol levels. While these effects are modest with one or two cups, they are more evident at higher levels of consumption."

I know for sure when I drink coffee my heart rate increases and feel anxious sometime. But I LOVE coffee and would love to be able to drink it but not at the cost of my estrogen and cortisol going up. I used to start every morning with a cup of "Bulletproof coffee", See: http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-m ... rning-too/.
It had coconut oil and butter blended in it so there was energy and calories with it but no sugar.
Shouldn't having the fat with it stop the stress response if what Peat says is true?

Does anyone know how in the world coffee can be good for us if it raises estrogen?
I read his article about coffee and the health benefits but he doesn't say anything about how it effect estrogen.

Thanks so much

[moderator edit: topics merged]

jyb

Re: Coffee and estrogen and cortisol

Drinking coffee when out of bed will sure make you feel even more stressed, because it uses your energy stores which are already emptied after the night and badly need refill. Read RP's article on coffee.

J

j.

Ray Peat attributes the bad effects of coffee to drinking it on an empty stomach. Try drinking with coffee with a lot of sugar and cream, or after a meal, and see if anything changes.

tomisonbottom

Thanks.
I did read his article but it doesn't say anything about the rise in estrogen due to coffee.
Is he not aware of this study?
Is it negated anywhere?

4peatssake

tomisonbottom said:
Thanks.
I did read his article but it doesn't say anything about the rise in estrogen due to coffee.
Is he not aware of this study?
Is it negated anywhere?

You may want to read his article again. http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/caffeine.shtml

Ray Peat said:
Caffeine’s effect on the breast resembles that of progesterone, opposing estrogen’s effects.

Ray Peat said:
Caffeine synergizes with progesterone, and increases its concentration in blood and tissues.

tomisonbottom

Thank you, yeah, I did see that.
What I meant is he didn't say anything about the study showing that coffee raises estradiol.
Women who drank more than 1 cup of coffee had 70% more estradiol.
The study showed it raises it but Ray Peat says it opposes estrogens effects.
They can't both be true.
So I'm wondering if he is aware of this study?
Or he thinks it is flawed in some way?
I am just trying to understand his position when that study shows otherwise.
I am most concerned with arthritis actually at the moment. I have RA and I tried the coffee with cream and sugar for the 1st time in months yesterday and my left knee was swollen and painful this morning.
It could totally be coincidence but now I'm scared to drink it.
My ra is very painful and debilitating. I am stuck in bed and can't walk it is so bad.

4peatssake

tomisonbottom said:
Thank you, yeah, I did see that.
What I meant is he didn't say anything about the study showing that coffee raises estradiol.
Women who drank more than 1 cup of coffee had 70% more estradiol.
The study showed it raises it but Ray Peat says it opposes estrogens effects.
They can't both be true.
So I'm wondering if he is aware of this study?
Or he thinks it is flawed in some way?
I am just trying to understand his position when that study shows otherwise.
I am most concerned with arthritis actually at the moment. I have RA and I tried the coffee with cream and sugar for the 1st time in months yesterday and my left knee was swollen and painful this morning.
It could totally be coincidence but now I'm scared to drink it.
My ra is very painful and debilitating. I am stuck in bed and can't walk it is so bad.

I'm not qualified to advise you nor speak for him but would suggest you email Ray Peat directly and ask him.
You can use the contact form on his website to email him.

I recommend that you give him as much detail as possible of your condition and concerns.

http://raypeat.com/contact.shtml

tomisonbottom

Ok, I submitted a request to him.
How does that work?
Does he charge for the personal nutritional consults?
Thanks

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Tom, :welcome

Please let us know what Ray Peat says.

Attachments

• art%3A10.1007%2Fs007260070020.pdf
    119.3 KB · Views: 94

4peatssake

tomisonbottom said:
Ok, I submitted a request to him.
How does that work?
Does he charge for the personal nutritional consults?
Thanks

He is extremely generous and will likely reply to you - often within a few hours. That is his way. He won't ask for money but it is always nice to give back, if one has the means to do so.

You can also order his newsletter and books, that is a great way to study and learn what he teaches. Also read and reread his articles and listen to his podcasts.

There is an entire section of the forum devoted to his articles, audios and videos and there is also a comprehensive listing of his podcasts here http://eastwesthealing.com/podcasts/ray-peat/

Hope this helps and keep us posted on how you are doing!

tomisonbottom

The you for the welcome charlie!
I'm am actually a women, the name is a joke I have with a friend of mine, lol.
Yeah, I hope he can help and if so I'd be happy to share about it.

Thanks 4peatsSake, I will listen to some of those today.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin