Coffee Causing Bloating, Burping, Gas

IVILA

Just wondering why coffee causes me to constantly burp, bloat, gas, and upset my stomach, and feel like I have indigestion going on by causing a rumbly stomach and pain. It also causes me to be sort of anxious. I find that whenever I drink coffee, these things happen to me. My body just can't handle it. I go to the washroom a few hours later only to have a stool that has undigested food particles followed by diarrhea. I don't drink coffee often either. But whenever I do this happens to me. I know that a lot of people drink coffee worldwide.

Why might my body not be able to handle it? What are some things I can do to overcome this since I'm in need of something to boost my cognitive function/memory and focus, and energy levels at times and think that coffee offers many benefits?

gaze

it could be a lot of things, it could be that your drank too much without food, milk, or cream causing adrenaline. it could be bad coffee beans, it could be undigested food that coffee is pushing through too quickly (usually starchy stuff). if your really sensitive to coffee you shouldn't drink more than like 1-2 ounces with cream and milk , so your body gets used to it

OP
IVILA

IVILA

it could be a lot of things, it could be that your drank too much without food, milk, or cream causing adrenaline. it could be bad coffee beans, it could be undigested food that coffee is pushing through too quickly (usually starchy stuff). if your really sensitive to coffee you shouldn't drink more than like 1-2 ounces with cream and milk , so your body gets used to it
I drink 1 cup of organic medium roast coffee and the amount is just less than two tbsp of coffee beans. It always happens to me no matter when I drink it.

gaze

I drink 1 cup of organic medium roast coffee and the amount is just less than two tbsp of coffee beans. It always happens to me no matter when I drink it.
do you drink it black? that's still a lot of caffeine if your not used to it. have you tried different brands, and how do you prepare the coffee?

OP
IVILA

IVILA

do you drink it black? that's still a lot of caffeine if your not used to it. have you tried different brands, and how do you prepare the coffee?
I drank it black the last time just prepared with hot water, ground, and put in a french press. I don't think adding anything to it reduces any of it's effects for me. I feel like there is a problem with my body. Not quite sure though.

gaze

I drank it black the last time just prepared with hot water, ground, and put in a french press. I don't think adding anything to it reduces any of it's effects for me. I feel like there is a problem with my body. Not quite sure though.
try this. brew a cup of coffee like you usually do, pour 1/4 of the cup into another cup and throw away the other 3/4. then take that small amount of coffee that you saved and fill the cup with milk, and drink it with your breakfast. see how that effects you. you need to slow down the absorption rate of the caffeine by eating it with food

OP
IVILA

IVILA

try this. brew a cup of coffee like you usually do, pour 1/4 of the cup into another cup and throw away the other 3/4. then take that small amount of coffee that you saved and fill the cup with milk, and drink it with your breakfast. see how that effects you. you need to slow down the absorption rate of the caffeine by eating it with food
I usually drink it after a meal anyways... Sometimes I put goat milk or cream in there. Will try that method though.

gaze

I usually drink it after a meal anyways... Sometimes I put goat milk or cream in there. Will try that method though.

I just saw you said french press too. i think that might be your problem, some of the oils that go through in a french press can cause digestive problems. have you ever tried paper filtered coffee? that's the way Ray makes his coffee. if you buy a cold brew concentrate from a store, that's usually filtered so you can mix a little of that with goat milk and see how you do

OP
IVILA

IVILA

I just saw you said french press too. i think that might be your problem, some of the oils that go through in a french press can cause digestive problems. have you ever tried filtered coffee? if you buy a cold brew concentrate from a store, that's usually filtered so you can mix a little of that with goat milk and see how you do
what oils do you mean? All I use is water and coffee beans. No matter what method I consume coffee, it always makes me feel like crap. It also tends to make me itch a bit more too. When I first started coffee I was getting it from coffee shops like starbucks a while back where I would feel much better until a certain time came and I started to experience these symptoms. Now I instantly feel the symptoms once drank.

gaze

what oils do you mean? All I use is water and coffee beans. No matter what method I consume coffee, it always makes me feel like crap. It also tends to make me itch a bit more too. When I first started coffee I was getting it from a coffee shop a while back where I would feel much better until a certain time came and I started to experience these symptoms. Now I instantly feel the symptoms once drank.

the way a french press works is by letting the natural oils of the coffee beans to go through into your cup of coffee. A paper filter blocks a lot of the natural oil stuff of the beans and just lets the water soluble nutrients go through the paper. if you've had coffee prepared through a paper filter instead of a french press and still have problems, then that's probsbly not the cause. you may just be really sensitive or slightly allergic to the coffee. how do you react to tea or energy drinks?

OP
IVILA

IVILA

the way a french press works is by letting the natural oils of the coffee beans to go through into your cup of coffee. A paper filter blocks a lot of the natural oil stuff of the beans and just lets the water soluble nutrients go through the paper. if you've had coffee prepared through a paper filter instead of a french press and still have problems, then that's probsbly not the cause. you may just be really sensitive or slightly allergic to the coffee. how do you react to tea or energy drinks?
tea doesn't cause the symptoms but it does cause a bit of burping (I have a chronic burping problem that has to be fixed in general). Energy drinks I never drink other than pre-workout powders where I used to drink before my workout. The pre-workouts didn't really have the symptoms either but I did feel like it dilutes my stomach acid if I did drink it pretty close to after eating a large meal.

gaze

tea doesn't cause the symptoms but it does cause a bit of burping (I have a chronic burping problem that has to be fixed in general). Energy drinks I never drink other than pre-workout powders where I used to drink before my workout. The pre-workouts didn't really have the symptoms either but I did feel like it dilutes my stomach acid if I did drink it pretty close to after eating a large meal.

yea so your sensitive to something in coffee that's not caffeine, caffeine probably isn't your problem. if you go to a store, look for a cold brew coffee and have a little bit of that and see how you react. cold brew coffee is filtered, so that way you can see if it's something about the french press that's causing you problems. if the cold brew causes the same symptoms too, then you may just not be able to drink coffee for now

OP
IVILA

IVILA

Seems like you have SIBO
how would you know? And how can just drinking coffee cause the SIBO to be aggravated? I've heard many people say that not being able to handle coffee is a hypothyroid issue and/or liver issue for some reason.

boris

2 tbsp of grounds is too strong for me and causes the same problem. Coffee passes undigested and upsets my gut. Accompanied by a jittery/stressed feeling.

But: It only happens when I do it french style or through a filter. Espresso does not cause this problem. If you want to try it, go to a good(!) coffee shop and order a Cappucino or Latte Macchiato and see if there is a difference for you. For me it‘s night and day, I can drink it as strong as I like.

What I do now to handle home made coffee is: Only one tbsp of grounds through a filter (I avoid french press because of the nickel sieve). The final drink is 30%coffee 10%cream 60%whole milk. Works like a charm. No indigestion, no jitters, and just enough of the good stuff to help my thyroid.

Last edited:

boris

I also stopped using my metal water cooker because we have alkaline tapwater which causes heavy metals to leach, it causes the same problem of indigestion for me. I heat the water in a glass in the microwave now. Also no more coloured mugs (Lead Safe Mama for more info), they often have heavy metals in the paint which would leach into acidic drinks like coffee.

[regarding the indigestion, it‘s possible that ditching the metal water cooker made a bigger difference for me than brewing less strong coffee, but I‘d still have to experiment with that. Right now I don‘t want to do it because those events, when milk and stuff pass undigested, cause dysbioses for me, which take a lot of effort to correct]

Last edited:
Also no more coloured mugs (Lead Safe Mama for more info), they often have heavy metals in the paint which would leach into acidic drinks like coffee.

Appreciate this tip, @boris. And I now feel a little better about the gastritis spell that's preventing me from drinking coffee.

Boris linked a site that discusses lead contamination. Here's a specific post discussing lead in coffee mugs:

Broken man

how would you know? And how can just drinking coffee cause the SIBO to be aggravated? I've heard many people say that not being able to handle coffee is a hypothyroid issue and/or liver issue for some reason.
Because I have It same way, try to drink IT with caprylic acid or Ceylon Cinnamon.

OP
IVILA

IVILA

2 tbsp of grounds is too strong for me and causes the same problem. Coffee passes undigested and upsets my gut. Accompanied by a jittery/stressed feeling.

But: It only happens when I do it french style or through a filter. Espresso does not cause this problem. If you want to try it, go to a good(!) coffee shop and order a Cappucino or Latte Macchiato and see if there is a difference for you. For me it‘s night and day, I can drink it as strong as I like.

What I do now to handle home made coffee is: Only one tbsp of grounds through a filter (I avoid french press because of the nickel sieve). The final drink is 30%coffee 10%cream 60%whole milk. Works like a charm. No indigestion, no jitters, and just enough of the good stuff to help my thyroid.
yeah i'll lower the dose but there is a reason why we cannot handle these amounts of coffee whereas others can. There are many alternatives to it, but those alternatives may not be as good as the coffee itself. Whenever I use goat milk in general, I don't seem to have any problems or dysbiosis.

SamYo123

yeah i'll lower the dose but there is a reason why we cannot handle these amounts of coffee whereas others can. There are many alternatives to it, but those alternatives may not be as good as the coffee itself. Whenever I use goat milk in general, I don't seem to have any problems or dysbiosis.
if i ate oatbran (fiber) before bed, then drink a coffee in the morning, it would cause me stomach pain, during the peristalsis, like increased heat etc.. quite paralyzing, just gotta wait for the ***t to move through but i think the oatbran during the night isn't being digested then it just gets forced out in the morning