Coffee causes joint stiffness or collagen lapse(?)

InChristAlone

Are you still not drinking coffee?
Yep, no caffeine other than a little chocolate here and there. No more panic, severe anxiety.

lazz

Interesting, my mom has alot of issues with her joints and spine. Her drinking 3 coffees before leaving the house in the morning and atleast the same amount the rest of the day might have something to do with it ... and all the cigarettes perhaps and cooking with vegetable oils ...
Yea but i doubt the 3 cups of coffee are the main reason for her problem as much as the rest of her diet

aniciete

Same here. I found connection between my coffee consumption and neck/spine pain.
I stopped coffee and in a month I felt considerably better. Also my allergy(runny nose) disappered. And cholestrol dropped from 210 to 180 which makes me feel safer healthwise.
But coffee is so addictive and helps with digestion...impossible to quit completely
Have you found a way to make coffee work? I suspect something similar is going on with myself.

Matestube

It cures my headaches so well, I just can't quit.
And for those saying headaches are the withdrawal phase, I quit coffee for 5 full years between 2016 and 2021.
I couldn't tolerate the headaches anymore, which are due to a sluggish liver.
Coffee perfectly solves that.

Vileplume

It cures my headaches so well, I just can't quit.
And for those saying headaches are the withdrawal phase, I quit coffee for 5 full years between 2016 and 2021.
I couldn't tolerate the headaches anymore, which are due to a sluggish liver.
Coffee perfectly solves that.
Do you think the headaches might be caused by low thyroid, in addition to the sluggish liver?

Dr. Broda Barnes found headaches to be very common with hypothyroidism.

Daft

"The findings imply that caffeine increases skeletal muscle contraction and suggests it exerts the effect through increasing calcium ion release."

"A dose dependent increase in skeletal muscle contraction (25.25±0.48, 49.00 ±1.23, 52.38±2.58, 59.25±1.11 and 68.50±0.87 mV; p<0.05) was observed on administration of increasing doses (5, 10, 15, 20 and 25 mg/mL, respectively) of caffeine respectively. While a significant reduction (0.90±0.04 mV) and increase (77.50±1.56 mV) in strength of contraction was observed on administration of nifedipine and calcium gluconate respectively. Administration of magnesium chloride caused a significant decrease in the strength of contraction (28.25±5.01) as compared to control."

Blossom

Forum Supporter
It’s been a month for me and I’m glad I quit. It’s not been anything miraculous but I have more steady energy which is nice.

OP
Twohandsondeck
"The findings imply that caffeine increases skeletal muscle contraction and suggests it exerts the effect through increasing calcium ion release."

"A dose dependent increase in skeletal muscle contraction (25.25±0.48, 49.00 ±1.23, 52.38±2.58, 59.25±1.11 and 68.50±0.87 mV; p<0.05) was observed on administration of increasing doses (5, 10, 15, 20 and 25 mg/mL, respectively) of caffeine respectively. While a significant reduction (0.90±0.04 mV) and increase (77.50±1.56 mV) in strength of contraction was observed on administration of nifedipine and calcium gluconate respectively. Administration of magnesium chloride caused a significant decrease in the strength of contraction (28.25±5.01) as compared to control."

Sounds about probable

InChristAlone

Still off of caffeine? I’ve been seriously considering stopping for a month and seeing if some ongoing issues fade
Yep, will probably never go back to it until the last yrs of my life. Just not using it though doesn't get you to be healthy. Other things have to be going well too.

aniciete

Yep, will probably never go back to it until the last yrs of my life. Just not using it though doesn't get you to be healthy. Other things have to be going well too.
Makes sense. A couple months back I was experimenting with 1g of caffeine a day from instant coffee and I can’t even explain the type of feeling I had. I stopped going for walks and enjoying things I’ve enjoyed for years. I couldn’t find myself to do anything but sit around and have this horrible feeling of fear plague my brain. I’m wondering if the 1-2 strong cups is still holding me back... we’ll see I guess

InChristAlone

Makes sense. A couple months back I was experimenting with 1g of caffeine a day from instant coffee and I can’t even explain the type of feeling I had. I stopped going for walks and enjoying things I’ve enjoyed for years. I couldn’t find myself to do anything but sit around and have this horrible feeling of fear plague my brain. I’m wondering if the 1-2 strong cups is still holding me back... we’ll see I guess
Wow I'd be needing a benzo on that dose!

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I had my last cup of coffee three days ago. I used less and less each day so I wouldn't get a headache. I did get tired but mostly just in the morning. But the strange thing is that my knees are now stiff and one of them actually feels swollen. I don't recall anything like this previous times I quit drinking coffee.

Dave Clark

I think it would be interesting to do an experiment drinking a natural process decaf coffee, instead of a caffeinated coffee. And, if the decaf does not produce the side effects that are talked about, then we know what the culprit is, caffeine. If so, there are plenty of natural process decafs out there, I myself buy and roast fresh, Co2 or Swiss water process decafs. I drink the decafs in the afternoon, so as to not disturb sleep, but have a regular coffee in the morning. A good vendor will have a quality decaf that tastes just like a regular coffee. Keeping consumption at a reasonable level should also help prevent negative effects from caffeinated coffee.

3apples555

I quit coffee 6 weeks ago after hearing on Saladino's podcast it can be a disregulator of blood sugar. I was only drinking 2 cups a day, morning only. Within a week I stopped having such wild blood sugar swings after drinking it, and within 2 weeks I was sleeping more solidly than I have in years. Initially, quitting caused some constipation, but all returned to normal and has stayed that way. I have drunk coffee for 40 years, but now in my late 50's I know I feel SO much better and won't go back. My overreaction to stress is also much improved. My partner drinks coffee all day and complains of joint stinging and shoulder pain but is too afraid to quit. I envy people who can benefit from coffee but I truly feel so many improvements having quit.

InChristAlone

I quit coffee 6 weeks ago after hearing on Saladino's podcast it can be a disregulator of blood sugar. I was only drinking 2 cups a day, morning only. Within a week I stopped having such wild blood sugar swings after drinking it, and within 2 weeks I was sleeping more solidly than I have in years. Initially, quitting caused some constipation, but all returned to normal and has stayed that way. I have drunk coffee for 40 years, but now in my late 50's I know I feel SO much better and won't go back. My overreaction to stress is also much improved. My partner drinks coffee all day and complains of joint stinging and shoulder pain but is too afraid to quit. I envy people who can benefit from coffee but I truly feel so many improvements having quit.
Good for you! I felt similarly when I quit a while back, I recovered from some severe stress and was able to be a functioning adult again. I've been under stress again so I'm not as functioning anymore, but I can still meet a lot of demands of my life despite no caffeine. And it's almost like people look at you like you are crazy if you don't indulge. "Like who are you to live life without this drug?". Lol. I don't envy it anymore. Not something I want to have to train my liver to get used to.

Matestube

Life feels dull without coffee. Jokes aren't funny, orgasms aren't pleasurable, love doesn't feel intense, bike sounds don't send shivers up your spine, and you don't walk the store aisle with your chest pumped full of confidence.

InChristAlone

Life feels dull without coffee. Jokes aren't funny, orgasms aren't pleasurable, love doesn't feel intense, bike sounds don't send shivers up your spine, and you don't walk the store aisle with your chest pumped full of confidence.
Sounds like an addiction to me! But I get you. Millions of people feel the same way. The most socially acceptable addiction.

Matestube

Sounds like an addiction to me! But I get you. Millions of people feel the same way. The most socially acceptable addiction.
I've been coffee free until the age of 21, then drank coffee for 5 years straight, then quit cold turkey without a problem for another 5 years, and just recently got back on.
I have no issue at all quitting from one day to the other and staying off for months on end.
I look at my reaction to coffee with a cold-blooded analytic mind, and decide to drink it for its benefits and to live an active life worth living.
Without coffee, it's like my life is passing by me.
With coffee, I have projects, I make decisions, I make money, I feel good, and I live pleasurable moments with other human beings.