Coffee Causes Diarrhea

Astolfo

No matter how much sugar I drink it with, it gives me diarrhea generally the morning after. Why dpes it happen so?

Fexxx

Same here, the acid is to much.

Try to drink a big glass of water with some ~500mg Baking Soda before coffee. In Italy and France they serve every coffee with a glass of water - they know why.

Frankdee20

It’s not the acid but perhaps some of the volatile oils that get left behind.... especially with unfiltered methods like MOKA pots, French Press, and Espresso..... it also has opiate antagonist that contribute to this

docall18

Coffee speeds up the digestive system, releases bile, increases stomach acid etc. This can cause loose stools. Think the best think is to keep with it, it eventually improves.

Beastmode

Drinking it with food can be helpful. Also, the quality of coffee definitely plays a role. Locally roasted is ideal and usually available. Unless you live in Siberia :)

success23

Chlorogenic acid is the main gut irritant in coffee. Milk proteins bind to it to some extent.

sladerunner69

I need to balance the amount of coffee I drink with enough food in order to prevent diarrhea. Further, a darker, richer roast tends to promote looser stools or even IBS like symptoms.

japanesedude

adding sugar or honey in coffee causes me instant bathroom problem. but I can drink big bottle of coke without getting any problem. weird

AlaskaJono

Coffee Caffeine is a central nervous system stimulant, and some people also find the (volatile) oils very potent vs the drink of black or green tea : caffeine in tea or yerbe Maté for example. So can you drink strong black tea and no problems? If so this will tell you that you have no issues with caffeine.

For many people the sympathetic nervous system is already ON high alert (stress of some kind) so the addition of a strong cup or two of coffee separate from food could be stimulating the peristalsis movement of the Large Intestines, and therefore => the runs... diarrhea. Also cheap coffee, instant coffee is very good for promoting diarrhea. Unfortunately I do know this first hand. And second hand.. as well.

I buy my own green beans and home roast my own coffee and have done so for over 15 years. So I have lots of experience with different varieties of coffee, plus have to oblige sometimes and have a cuppa socially. (OR not I am discovering). As beastmode said above definitely do try a local coffee house if not too expensive. If will be miles fresher and should be tastier than the grocery. But there are local roasters in some grocers in the USA now too. I am in Australia and it is the same.
Also as stated above, with a dash of milk and sugar it should be more buffered and easily digestible.

Good luck and let us know how it goes with the experiment. Cheers.

docall18

Do any of you who experience this take thyroid supplements? I have this issue with coffee when i take ndt (Thyroid-D).
I am not get freq bowel movements when now taking thyroid-s. Not sure if there is impurities in the supp, or maybe its just stronger..

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals