Coffee (caffeine) protects against melanoma

haidut

Forum Supporter
The study supports once again Peat's statements, and even though it looked at coffee usage, it is likely that caffeine is the protective substance since decaffeinated coffee did not have much effect.
The mechanism of action may be caffeine's effects of increasing levels of cAMP, which leads to more melanin and lower chance of melanoma cells getting out of control.

http://www.livescience.com/49500-coffee-melanoma.html

tara

Hmm, so I could pack coke when we go to the beach, as part of the kids sun protection? They'd be delighted. :)

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
tara said:
Hmm, so I could pack coke when we go to the beach, as part of the kids sun protection? They'd be delighted. :)

Yep, and you can add some vitamin B3 for added effect.

pboy

this is sort of unrelated, but kind of is also. Do you guys think theres a difference between light and super dark roasts? I stopped drinking coffee a little while back cause it was staining my teeth and I would emit the burnt odors, but ive notices quite a bit of difference between light and dark roasts. The dark are more bitter and have a stronger burnt taste, but are less sour...like the light roasts...I think its the chlorogenic acid that I find offensive. It seems like a chelator in a bad way and potentially messes up GI, I think it prevents sugar absorption (which its advertised for as abenefit, but I think we all here realize that that's a problem). Would dark roasts be more effective at anti inflammatory, pro thyroid effects?

4peatssake

tara said:
Yes absolutely! :coke

jyb

pboy said:
Would dark roasts be more effective at anti inflammatory, pro thyroid effects?

Peat thinks so, yeah. Some people say Italian coffee brands are usually good as dark roasts.

lindsay

Good to know - I'm on my second 8 oz. round of espresso today :D My thyroid pills are late from Mexico and the coffee really helps me when I've run out of my T4/T3 combo.