Coffee/caffeine Is Like Resistance Exercise For Your Liver

Collden

Anyone agree with this analogy?

1) Just like exercise, it works by stressing your liver thus stimulating it to adapt to become stronger and better at detoxification

2) Just like exercise where if completely untrained you need to start small and progressively increase the load to avoid overtraining and injury, with coffee you need to start with small amounts and progressively increase the dose only as your liver adapts and becomes stronger, and if you overdo it can likely overload your system and cause a setback ("overtraining"), or actually worsen problems with impaired liver detox.

3) Just like exercise, you need to create the appropriate circumstances for beneficial adaptation to occur. With exercise you need enough rest and nutrition or the workout is counter-productive. With caffeine I believe you need to also work on other factors that promote liver health and reduction of fatty liver in order to see the long-term benefits of caffeine. Personally I only began seeing substantial gains in coffee tolerance when I also started doing exercise and losing weight.

Last edited:

Musonius

Congratulations! How did you ease into drinking it and how long before you were acclimated?

I have trouble even having items with some caffeine in it - like chocolate. I get tired (and grumpy).

I attempted to start on coffee last month and did a small amount with a lot of milk and two tablespoons of sugar, some b-1 and taurine. But still felt weird - tired most of the day (ready for a nap), unable to focus on things (mind jumping), hands sweating, and impatient with people.

I like the taste of coffee and wish I could do more of it, but so far doing the things recommended on this board haven't worked that well for me.

Any further recommendations?