Coffee And Libido

jaywills

This does not seem to be addressed on this forum as of yet as far as i can find.

Does anybody have any experiences where coffee reduces Libido, or increases it?

I am keen to find the links between the two as i drink a 3/4 cups of coffee and my libido is waning. I drink it with plenty of sugar/milk.

sladerunner69

Caffiene is chemically similar to progesterone, which antagonizes DHT and testosterone. This can mran lower libido for men. Peat has written about progesterone's effects, and how it can make the penis hang small and limp. I would cut back on the caffiene and see if libido improves, as well as taking steps to increase androgens. Do you eat rice or soy? Lowers libido. What kinds of vitamins do you take? Be sure to eat oysters regularly as well.

OP
J

jaywills

Thanks sladerunner!

This would make a lot of sense as i drink a lot of coffee and my DHT seems low - little hair growth etc. Would you recommend Decaf coffee as an alternative? What steps would you suggest to increase androgen's, DHT specifically? I do eat white rice but rarely once a week or so, my main source of carbs is fruit (orange, mangoes, pineapple) and potatoes every couple of days. I take Zinc, l-tyrosine, nutripak thyroid glandular, b-vits (b12 and p5p specifically). also take taurine, glycine and creatine.

pboy

its a distinction many cant quite make...cause its a close thing. it depends on what you mean by libido...and exactly how you think that should be, lol. It destabilizes...and in that sense, that's not really manly to be unstable..unable to have rythmn to what you do, just to be full on mode all the time. If you're definition is like..how much ***t can you get done and...a hyper erratic focus or something...it can increase that. Mild amounts of coffee as part of a good diet probably...don't have much effect either way, but in the long term could increase libido, because you can make a lot of progress in a little time, but the enhancement would be a lil more...when you weren't drinking it, if that makes sense, but you'll be a more intelligent aware person if you put it to good use kinda thing

Onehumin

In certain body types too much coffee tanks your bloodsugar. The most anabolic thing is food. Protein, or amino acids are hormones, long chain peptides, so not enough food not enough drive. it doesn't matter how much thyroid, progesterone and the like people take if they are not eating enough say bye bye to the high fives in the bedroom. Eat 6 times a day and workout then lets see what happens in the ring. Supplements are used to balance out deficiencies but these are pills and they will not do what lots of good food will do.
Keep the coffee for morning time then get into water and real juices. Orange juice is lame if its got a picture of a space man on the label. Whole foods first, calories second, then supplements/ peace!

sladerunner69

jaywills said:
Thanks sladerunner!

This would make a lot of sense as i drink a lot of coffee and my DHT seems low - little hair growth etc. Would you recommend Decaf coffee as an alternative? What steps would you suggest to increase androgen's, DHT specifically? I do eat white rice but rarely once a week or so, my main source of carbs is fruit (orange, mangoes, pineapple) and potatoes every couple of days. I take Zinc, l-tyrosine, nutripak thyroid glandular, b-vits (b12 and p5p specifically). also take taurine, glycine and creatine.

Yes decaf coffee still has some b vitamins and magnesium so it's useful. When you drop caffiene and lose your tolerance you will find the small amount of decaf still gives you a buzz...

that is a solid supplement regimen, those will all benefit libido in certain ways (increasing dopamine, increasing androgens, lowering stress hormones)... I would also recommend vitamin b6 because that is well documented to lower prolactin (small does 5-10mg is sufficient, but most caps are 50-100mg so what I do is pop them open and take a small pinch and place it in back of my tongue) Plus you could try BCAA's, which are good for blocking serotonin uptake to the brain. L-Lycine also has a similar anti-serotonin effect.

How do you feel on creatine?? What form are you taking, monohydrate? I was trying this to raise my DHT and libido, but I never feel quite right on creatine. I get irritable and nauseous, and only see a slight increase in sexual function.

sladerunner69

sladerunner69 said:
jaywills said:
Thanks sladerunner!

Yes decaf coffee still has some b vitamins and magnesium so it's useful. When you drop caffiene and lose your tolerance you will find the small amount of decaf still gives you a buzz... just be sure your decaf is water processed so it doesn't contain chemicals, I'll know because it gives me an awful headache.

that is a solid supplement regimen, those will all benefit libido in certain ways (increasing dopamine, increasing androgens, lowering stress hormones)... I would also recommend vitamin b6 because that is well documented to lower prolactin (small does 5-10mg is sufficient, but most caps are 50-100mg so what I do is pop them open and take a small pinch and place it in back of my tongue) Plus you could try BCAA's, which are good for blocking serotonin uptake to the brain. L-Lycine also has a similar anti-serotonin effect.

How do you feel on creatine?? What form are you taking, monohydrate? I was trying this to raise my DHT and libido, but I never feel quite right on creatine. I get irritable and nauseous, and only see a slight increase in sexual function.

OP
J

jaywills

Hi chaps, checking in again.

From a couple of weeks trialing and experimenting, I think Onehumin mentions something very important for increasing libido - food (energy). May I outline what i mean by libido = sexual interest & desire.

Despite all of those supplements sladerunner, not with one did I really notice a tangible benefit in the libido department. As for creatine, I do think it is a wonderful bodybuilding supplement (not sure of its affects hormonally). I experience strength gains, higher endurance and size increase (via water retention in the muscle). This must be correlated to the ATP production.

Whilst i do think the supplements I take work via the mechanisms you outlay and can enhance your health in numerous ways, without providing the body with energy they cannot elicit the libido increase on their own.
I have been able to increase Libido recently. Here is what i have done:

- Increased bowel transmit time significantly. 2/3 BMs per day opposed to 1 every 3 days.
- Dropped fibre to as low as possible and limited liquids (this has raised my temp and has provided the above to occur)
- Kept diet as basic as possible to avoid allergens.

Thus, i have centered my diet around White Rice. When i say centre, i mean i get around 700-1400 calories per day from rice, from a 3000 kcal diet (so 150-300 grams dry weight) The latter if i weight train, the former on a rest day. Yes there are draw backs (starch, no nutrients, high-glycemic) but rice provides:

vast easy digesting, low fibre, low liquid, low allergen energy.

If you think logically - there are so many people in this world able to procreate with sub-optimal diets, nutrient deplete, PUFA ridden. The Japanese are a prime example, they base their diets around rice and oily fish. I am not stating the Japanese diet is unhealthy, but from a purely 'Peat' perspective it is sub-optimal. They live into old age and have no problems in the libido department as far as I am aware.

tara

jaywills said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/94640/ something very important for increasing libido - food (energy)
:D
jaywills said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/94640/ Increased bowel transmit time significantly. 2/3 BMs per day opposed to 1 every 3 days.
- Dropped fibre to as low as possible and limited liquids (this has raised my temp and has provided the above to occur)
That's interesting - kind of the opposite of the mainstream expectation.
jaywills said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/94640/
Whilst i do think the supplements I take work via the mechanisms you outlay and can enhance your health in numerous ways, without providing the body with energy they cannot elicit the libido increase on their own.
Makes sense to me.
jaywills said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/94640/ When i say centre, i mean i get around 700-1400 calories per day from rice, from a 3000 kcal diet (so 150-300 grams dry weight)
If you were eating a lot less than that, no wonder you were low. Glad you upped it.

Last edited by a moderator:

sladerunner69

jaywills said:
post 94640 Hi chaps, checking in again.

From a couple of weeks trialing and experimenting, I think Onehumin mentions something very important for increasing libido - food (energy). May I outline what i mean by libido = sexual interest & desire.

Despite all of those supplements sladerunner, not with one did I really notice a tangible benefit in the libido department. As for creatine, I do think it is a wonderful bodybuilding supplement (not sure of its affects hormonally). I experience strength gains, higher endurance and size increase (via water retention in the muscle). This must be correlated to the ATP production.

- Increased bowel transmit time significantly. 2/3 BMs per day opposed to 1 every 3 days.

Thus, i have centered my diet around White Rice. When i say centre, i mean i get around 700-1400 calories per day from rice, from a 3000 kcal diet (so 150-300 grams dry weight) The latter if i weight train, the former on a rest day. Yes there are draw backs (starch, no nutrients, high-glycemic) but rice provides:

If you think logically - there are so many people in this world able to procreate with sub-optimal diets, nutrient deplete, PUFA ridden. The Japanese are a prime example, they base their diets around rice and oily fish. I am not stating the Japanese diet is unhealthy, but from a purely 'Peat' perspective it is sub-optimal. They live into old age and have no problems in the libido department as far as I am aware.

YOU EAT OVER 1K CALORIES A DAY IN RICE?? BINGO.

Did you read what I said about rice?
It lower libido. There are studies showing 1-2 servings of rice daily can lower DHT 33%. DHT is THE MOST important hormone when it comes to male sexuality. Eating that much white rice could lower DHT by over 50%, I would reckon. It has natural 5-alpha reductase inhibitors. I never touch the stuff.http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 4611002762

What you said about the japanese is funny. Yes they eat rice, but maybe not as much as you'd think. They might have it at 1 or two meals a day. Their primary starches are wheat and potatoes, just cooked differently.

AND japan is known for having a nationwide libido problem. The male population there just isnt interested in sex, comparitively speaking. And it's causing a huge decrease in birthrate, and a female population that is left unsatisfied. http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/0 ... ef=topnews

good luck!

Vanced

sladerunner69 said:
post 98764
jaywills said:
post 94640 Hi chaps, checking in again.

YOU EAT OVER 1K CALORIES A DAY IN RICE?? BINGO.

Did you read what I said about rice?
It lower libido. There are studies showing 1-2 servings of rice daily can lower DHT 33%. DHT is THE MOST important hormone when it comes to male sexuality. Eating that much white rice could lower DHT by over 50%, I would reckon. It has natural 5-alpha reductase inhibitors. I never touch the stuff.http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 4611002762

What you said about the japanese is funny. Yes they eat rice, but maybe not as much as you'd think. They might have it at 1 or two meals a day. Their primary starches are wheat and potatoes, just cooked differently.

AND japan is known for having a nationwide libido problem. The male population there just isnt interested in sex, comparitively speaking. And it's causing a huge decrease in birthrate, and a female population that is left unsatisfied. http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/0 ... ef=topnews

good luck!

That study refers to rice bran extract. There is no rice bran in white rice so 5har inhibition shouldn't be an issue?

CoolTweetPete

milk_lover

Coffee lowers my libido tremendously ater my 3rd cup or so. How do you peat fellas do it anyhow?
I drink my coffee with milk and plenty of sugar usually with glycine+niacinamide+taurine+theanine and sometimes I take aspirin. They're all supposed to reduce stress from coffee but I don't take them for stress only. I take them mainly for other benefits.

superhuman

"Caffeine synergizes with progesterone, and increases its concentration in blood and tissues."

@sladerunner69 its true that progesterone antagonizes with testosterone but im not sure if the coffee part will do it in a negative way?

When RP himself has written an article about how good caffeine/coffee is and also uses it so much himself it seems strange that he would not mention the libido problem etc

I get a progesterone-like effect from high-dose coffee and/or caffeine: elimination of water retention etc but only when I'm replete in zinc (red-meat, zinc sulphate 30-50mg). Otherwise it tends to increase bloating and 'weepiness' leading me to surmise that coffee/caffeine displaces zinc.

Agent207

Caffiene is chemically similar to progesterone, which antagonizes DHT and testosterone. This can mran lower libido for men. Peat has written about progesterone's effects, and how it can make the penis hang small and limp. I would cut back on the caffiene and see if libido improves, as well as taking steps to increase androgens. Do you eat rice or soy? Lowers libido. What kinds of vitamins do you take? Be sure to eat oysters regularly as well.

Source for rice decreasing libido? First time I hear that.

superhuman

I get a progesterone-like effect from high-dose coffee and/or caffeine: elimination of water retention etc but only when I'm replete in zinc (red-meat, zinc sulphate 30-50mg). Otherwise it tends to increase bloating and 'weepiness' leading me to surmise that coffee/caffeine displaces zinc.

how much caffeine are we talking about?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals