Coffee And Estrogen Dominance

Tawnya

• I've read that coffee can make estrogen dominance worse? Something to do with acidic environment ?

As I understand, coffee provides magnesium and caffeine which should generally oppose estrogen dominance in the context of a well nourished body.

With regards to the acid/alkaline diet fad, Dr. Peat points out that while blood pH should be slightly alkaline, the pH inside the cell should be acidic. This fact makes it seem dubious to only eat "alkalizing foods", but there is a lot of bad advice out there.

M

marikay

Long before I started following Peat, I gave up coffee and all caffeine. I felt terrible and couldn't figure out why. As soon as I put caffeine back in my diet I felt better. It wasn't till I read Peat's articles on estrogen dominance that I realized what had happened when I went off caffeine. I was experiencing estrogen dominance without the caffeine. Caffeine is one of the best substances for opposing estrogen.

OP
Tawnya

Tawnya

Ya I read for a couple years Drs and bloggers saying for estrogen dominance avoid all estrogens and xenoestrogens. They would list all things to avoid plastics soaps shampoos essential oils herbs and coffee was always big on list!. I've never been able to really tolerate coffee but love the taste! I adding it slowly very small amounts spread through the day. I'm very estrogen dominant , I seemed to have it controlled for past 6-7 months with topical progesterone . I've noticed the past 2 months sore breasts bloating and I haven't had period in 2 months. Not sure what's going on. I decided to stop progesterone for a week then will restart. I'm 50 so could be start of menopause. Thank you for insight

M

marikay

Ya I read for a couple years Drs and bloggers saying for estrogen dominance avoid all estrogens and xenoestrogens. They would list all things to avoid plastics soaps shampoos essential oils herbs and coffee was always big on list!. I've never been able to really tolerate coffee but love the taste! I adding it slowly very small amounts spread through the day. I'm very estrogen dominant , I seemed to have it controlled for past 6-7 months with topical progesterone . I've noticed the past 2 months sore breasts bloating and I haven't had period in 2 months. Not sure what's going on. I decided to stop progesterone for a week then will restart. I'm 50 so could be start of menopause. Thank you for insight

Best of luck. Remember also that not all progesterone is really progesterone. Some of it is actually estrogen. ProgestE is real. And coffee is problematic for everyone if not enough sugar is consumed at the same time. Cheers.

I think drinking coffee on a full stomach is an effective way to avoid an adrenaline/stress response, or as marikay stated, to use lots of sugar with it. Also, I'm not an endocrinologist but I believe progesterone can convert to estrogen in a context of stress. I think that it is much much more effective to focus first on decreasing your own body's production of estrogen by reducing stress. Eat well to live well!

OP
Tawnya

Tawnya

I have been focused on eliminating estrogens big time. Actually I was using a very good brand of progesterone called Natpro. It's been out of stock for 3 months so I'm trying this brand called Kokoro. It's 2.4%=1,200mg. Other ingredients are deionized water wild yam extract glycerin( veg derive ) coconut derived caprylic triglycerides, squalane ( olive oil derived) cetyl alcohol( vegetable derived. Dexpanthanol (vit b5) allantoin ( sugar beet derived) can than gum ( seaweed) retinyl palmitate ( vit A) hydroxyethylcellulose ( plant fibers) phenoxyethanol ( natural preservative)
Could someone give me a good source for progest E I may give that a whirl. I did try progestelle it's just progesterone in coconut oil but it seem to be strong enough .

peggyshe

Natural Progesterone Oil | Progest E Complex

I've used Electrical Body before so I can vouch for them. And I got their name from @Blossom, If the link above doesn't work, try this one:

Dr. Peat's Progest E Complex, 34 ml

They are good too. Good Luck.

You can order directly from Kerogen. I received the following information from them.

The Progest-E Complex may be ordered by email, by phone at 541-345-9855, or by fax at 541-485-8781. To process an order we need: The complete mailing address, telephone number, and credit card number along with expiration date and security code. We also accept payments made online through PayPal.

We look forward to your reply.

KenogenPO Box 50423
Eugene OR 97405
Phone:
541-345-9855
Fax:
541-485-8781
email:
[email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Is it cheaper?
Surprisingly Electric Body was always the cheapest in my experience but it took a long time to arrive (2-3 weeks sometimes) and I'm only a couple hours drive away! I always got it quickest from Long Natural Health but it cost about $9 more per bottle the last I checked. Directly from Kenogen was middle of the road in pricing and fairly quick delivery too.

OP
Tawnya

Tawnya

Ty Marikay for the link. I saw on their site that if you have your ovaries you shouldn't need to supplement indefinitely. I've modified my diet and outside sources of estrogen but having pms . I have fibroid problems too.

DaveFoster

Doctor recently told me how coffee aggravates gyno. Doesn't seem to explain why my gyno has gotten smaller after drinking grams of caffeine per day.

I just recently crashed my E2 levels.

It feels exactly like high doses of caffeine: absolutely horrible.

OP
Tawnya

Tawnya

Doctor recently told me how coffee aggravates gyno. Doesn't seem to explain why my gyno has gotten smaller after drinking grams of caffeine per day.

Dave sorry but what are E2 levels?
Such confusing info out there gets so annoying. I'm working my way on the coffee slowly . I can't handle much caffeine probably because I'm hypo and have hashimotos and lyme. Liver must be slow I'm guessing

DaveFoster

Dave sorry but what are E2 levels?
Such confusing info out there gets so annoying. I'm working my way on the coffee slowly . I can't handle much caffeine probably because I'm hypo and have hashimotos and lyme. Liver must be slow I'm guessing
estrone (E1) estradiol (E2) estriol (E3). Different types of estrogen.

Estradiol has most of the effects on mood and well-being.

As far as coffee, liver health and cortisol must be in check. Both can be improved by reducing PUFA. Caffeine heals to liver, so it's a positive feedback loop.

lvysaur

Could you elaborate? What symptoms did you experience?

Do you think there's any way that the low blood values were representative of reduced excretion of estradiol (ie: higher "tissue bound" estrogen)?

Parsifal

If the liver is not healthy the gallblader can be congested and release a lot of bile acids with coffee which can be irritating for the gut and raise serotonin until it improves (at least it was my case).

OP
Tawnya

Tawnya

If the liver is not healthy the gallblader can be congested and release a lot of bile acids with coffee which can be irritating for the gut and raise serotonin until it improves (at least it was my case).
What about us that have no gallbladder?

DaveFoster

Could you elaborate? What symptoms did you experience?

Do you think there's any way that the low blood values were representative of reduced excretion of estradiol (ie: higher "tissue bound" estrogen)?
I think that caffeine sets up a metabolic environment wherein one could lower estrogen.

I'm finding out that I'm not hypothyroid at all; the multiple PUFA depletions have allowed me to maintain a high metabolic rate without any substances, and I need around 6,000-9,000 calories to feel speedy and on point, (although this is likely high adrenaline as well.)

If you take caffeine when you have a healthy functioning thyroid, then you'll raise the ceiling on your caloric requirements (if I understand it correctly). It's like giving a baby a stimulant (there's no need.) If you hit high amounts of calories and then you have a legitimate thyroid deficiency (T4 and T3), then I think caffeine use is merited, but there's a lot of other modalities to achieve the same effect (aspirin and vitamin E just to name a couple). PUFA will create an artificial thyroid deficiency.

I don't concern myself with tissue bound levels of hormones at this time; maybe in the future. These are hard to measure, and I don't have the resources to do so, and even if I did, then I couldn't fix the problems. I have no idea either way.

For symptoms, I woke up in the middle of the night with sweats and a pounding heart rate. It was somewhat terrifying, but I knew that I'd be fine, as my body is quite resilient, and I support it as much as possible.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals