Coffee an hour after a meal was still effective at inhibiting iron absorption

Dan W

I think it was BigPapaChakra who found this:
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/37/3/416.long

The relevant part to coffee-timing is study 3:
When the coffee and hamburger were taken simultaneously (meal C), iron absorption fell from a control mean of 8.12 to 4.58% (p < 0.05). Coffee taken 1 h before the hamburger (meal B) led to a small decrease in mean absorption that was not statistically significant. On the other hand, with coffee taken 1 h after the hamburger (meal D), the degree of inhibition was similar to that observed when the beverage and meal were consumed simultaneously.

Henry

It should be noted that coffee didnt inhibit heme iron uptake, but just the uptake of the synthetic iron that has been added to the hamburger for the study.

jyb

Not surprising if we assume that a hamburger needs to sit in the stomach for a few hours.

OP
Dan W

Dan W

Henry said:
It should be noted that coffee didnt inhibit heme iron uptake, but just the uptake of the synthetic iron that has been added to the hamburger for the study.
I assume this is still decent evidence that coffee should inhibit the absorption of the beef's own non-heme iron, right? Or do you think there could be something different about the synthetic iron's absorption?

jyb said:
Not surprising if we assume that a hamburger needs to sit in the stomach for a few hours.
Yeah, I'd just never made the connection that you could be so flexible about it. It seems like even a delay of a couple hours might not be too long to get some benefit, if we assume a half-gastric emptying of 127 minutes.

dd99

There have been a few inconclusive threads about this, but does coffee also inhibit zinc absorption?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals