Coffee Amount?

Destiny

Did Peat ever say how much coffee at on time to drink, or not more than a certain amount? I am pretty sure those huge Starbucks sizes are not what he is advising lol. I started with a standard 5oz cup using the standard coffee measure spoon but today made half more/8oz cup. I mix it with 4 tsp sugar and 1 cup lowfat milk. I also have a cup of OJ usually a little before, but not with the coffee.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5y1wYPM5zU[/youtube]

Heather

5 cups!!!! Holy Cow! Do any of you actually drink that much coffee a day? If you do, is it all caffeinated? How do you sleep? Isn't all that caffeine a strain on your nervous system?

Orchid

I drink upwards to 30 cups of coffee a day. Likely excessive, but it doesn't interfere with my sleep quality or anything else. I've tested with and without, and with lower quantities. The more coffee I have, the better I feel and the stronger my metabolic state seems to be. Pulse stays around 98.7.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Orchid, welcome to the forum!

30 cups, wow!!! More then a couple cups for me and my heart is pounding.

Orchid

Thanks Charlie :) Yeah, I get that response a lot. Should see the people freak out over at mark's daily apple claiming bogus crap like "adrenal fatigue", etc. They also said my coffee intake was the reason I did poorly in ketosis haha

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Well at one point Ray Peat was drinking 50 cups a day so I know it has to be possible.

How is your health, how do you feel? Seems like your metabolism should be cranking!

PeatFeat

Wouldn't a large intake of coffee put you at risk for dehydration or at least being under-hydrated?

Orchid

I feel pretty good. I need to get some lab tests done. My blood pressure is quite high by medical standards though. It hovers around 150/85. It's always been this though. Not sure about Ray Peat's views on blood pressure.

I'm recovering from a brief stint on a very low carb diet, prior to being on really high pufa/wheat/fast food diet. Been following Ray Peat's protocol for a few months now, and I'm never going back!

And as for being dehydrated, I wouldn't really know. My diet is mostly liquid aside from when I binge on dates or haagen daz

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Orchid said:
when I binge on dates or haagen daz

Words I live by the last few days with being sick. :lol:

shaadoe

Orchid said:
I drink upwards to 30 cups of coffee a day. Likely excessive, but it doesn't interfere with my sleep quality or anything else. I've tested with and without, and with lower quantities. The more coffee I have, the better I feel and the stronger my metabolic state seems to be. Pulse stays around 98.7.

How do you prepare your coffee?

Orchid

shaadoe said:
Orchid said:

I just use organic instant coffee made with a cheap as hell Mr. Coffee. I use milk and sugar of course. In the mornings I'll whip up a little coconut oil and butter to put in there, and I have a little coffee 2 hours before sleep with gelatin.

Charlie said:
Orchid said:

I swear man, I'll pound down 4lbs of dates in a single sitting if I'm allowed to. Hope you feel better, Charlie!

nwo2012

PeatFeat said:
Wouldn't a large intake of coffee put you at risk for dehydration or at least being under-hydrated?

No, that notion is absolute garbage along with the notion drinking a lot of coffee can give you hypomagnesia due to the diuretic effect. We consume lots of OJ and milk and it would be impossible to dehydrate in this way of eating unless we were cognitively impaired! :D

Orchid that does seem a little on the high side for BP. Try doing more bag breathing and even a little baking soda in OJ throughout the day.

Orchid

The bag breathing is one thing from Peat's protocol I haven't implemented. I'll definitely have to give that a try. I have to admit I believe my blood pressure causes a lot of weird things for me(face flushing, etc). Thanks, nwo2012

gretchen

I drink 1-2 large containers a day. Coffee is ok so long as you can sleep and feel good. I even drink a little at night once in a while.

superhuman

Orchid said:
shaadoe said:
Orchid said:

I just use organic instant coffee made with a cheap as hell Mr. Coffee. I use milk and sugar of course. In the mornings I'll whip up a little coconut oil and butter to put in there, and I have a little coffee 2 hours before sleep with gelatin.

Charlie said:
Orchid said:

I swear man, I'll pound down 4lbs of dates in a single sitting if I'm allowed to. Hope you feel better, Charlie!

Man did you work yourself up to be able to drink 30 cups of coffee? i also want to do that since im hypo and all. What have you noticed since drinking so much coffee? in terms of benefits of metabolism, weight loss etc. Also why do you think you dont get sleep problems etc from so much? how strong is each cup you drink?

Peata

I drink 3 - 6 cups per day, usually with milk, sugar, gelatin, coconut oil, and salt.

Peata

Oh and lately in the afternoon, I've been making Iced Cappucinos in the blender.

4peatssake

Peata said:
Oh and lately in the afternoon, I've been making Iced Cappucinos in the blender.
Recipe? :mrgreen:

Peata

This is the way I do it, but play with the amounts and ingredients according to your own taste.

5 ice cubes
4 T. sugar
1/4 t. salt
1-1/2 T. instant coffee (I use Folgers)
1 T. cocoa powder (I use Nestle 100% cocoa)
1 c. milk (I use 1%)

Just blend everything.

BTW, I didn't use measuring spoons but tableware to measure, so that makes a difference. I tend to just "eyeball" amounts a lot when I cook.

I like to drink it through a straw. Having this in the afternoon gives me a boost of energy, motivation and focus.