Coconut Water For Cooking And Beverages

Amazoniac

Our creator said:
I avoid fluoridated water carefully because, without thinking about it, during a stay in San Francisco – wasn’t aware that the water was fluoridated – I started getting extreme hypothyroid symptom. And I realized that the water that I drank, had enough fluoride in it to totally destroy the thyroid supplement that I was taking. So the first place that fluoride can act is by destroying nutrients and hormones that you might be taking. But to the extent that fluoride circulates in your bloodstream, where T3, the active thyroid hormone, is also circulating; it just takes one fluoride atom to ruin the T3 molecule. So my own experience with it is as a thyroid toxin.
While I was trying to find a reliable spring water, this quote kept bothering me, at some point I became tired of sourcing it but at the same time decided to take this issue seriously. I gave up on water filters because most of them don't seem satisfactory.

It's very difficult to find bottled spring wasser where I live, the good ones are usually imported because it's obligatory to add fluoride to the commercial ones. Since coconut water is much cheaper than any of those waters, I decided to experiment with it in a consistent base.

Cooking:
It was better than expected, in fact it's just as good if not better than plain water. Coconut water is extremely balanced in terms of minerals, and when you use to cook in it, you get those minerals without the excess water. No problem trusttoxinless whatsoever with boiling and (of course) with steaming. It's also more difficult to burn anything because if you leave it longer than you should, it reduces to a syrup and gives you some more time to rescue it.
I suppose that it's possible to prepare marmalade using plenty of it.

Coffee:
Not a big fan, but one day I craved it and decided that it was time to try to use coconut water to extract instead of water. I usually get some mild hand shaking after coffee, but every time that I tried, I waited for the tremor to come but it didn't. It's possible that it doesn't extract the compounds as good as plain water, more or less for the reasons buyidealabs that people that don't recommend extracting with distilled water. I don't understand anything at all about coffee, I also don't know what makes it good or not. But to my surprise travistheenigmasolver I found the taste pleasant every time that it was extracted with coconut water, and it always made me as alert as if it was extracted with plain water.
This will require someone that is quite aware of the effects of coffee to be able to compare.

All in all I think that it's something worth trying, even if you have access to good water.

Last edited:

yerrag

I drink it all the time. It is translucent so there may be fiber but it doesn't appear to be a lot. When I crack a coconut (the mature coconut in this case, where the flesh is tough and from where coconut oil comes from) up to get the water, some fiber from the skin gets into the water. So, I would strain with a fine mesh filter, and the filtrate is what I drink. The mature coconut water has more potassium than the young coconut water also.

I feed the flesh to my koi, so there's no waste. I'm actually drinking the waste.

yerrag

Ehmm...

Here's What Happened When an Alaskan City Took Fluoride Out of Their Drinking Water

Here's What Happened When an Alaskan City Took Fluoride Out of Their Drinking Water

Interesting.

I would ask if there were changes in Medicare allowances, as it's possible that the treatments were limited by what was allowed, and maybe in 2012 there were more dollars allowed for treatment over 2003. There's a tendency to max out on what's allowed when it comes to these things. Or, is there improvement in the scans used to identify cavities between 2003 and 2012, such that more cavities would have been identified in 2013 due to improved scanning technology in use? The increase in 2012 could very well be due to 2012 being the year improved scanning was implemented, and so there would be a bump in procedures used due to improved identification of cavities in these scans. There's a tendency to cherry-pick data to favor a pre-determined conclusion. I'd much rather the study involve more than just one year of data to compare with, as any special one-time changes that would accentuate the results of one year would be smoothed out.

Often it is the case that certain relevant information is excluded so that we don't get the full context of the data at hand, and the conclusions that come out of it. It takes additional investigative work to get the whole picture.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

- "The Primary Sources Of Acidity In The Diet Are Sulfur-containing AAs, Salt, And Phosphoric Acid"

- Determination of anions, cations, and sugars in coconut water by capillary electrophoresis (made-up method)

upload_2020-8-8_15-17-10.png

"In natural (unprocessed) coconut water, chloride, malate, and potassium are the major ions. Sulfate and sodium was found at much higher concentration in all processed coconut waters, due to the sodium bisulfite addition as a preserving additive whose oxidation is a source of sulfate. Citrate, ascorbate, and benzoate were found only in one sample of processed coconut waters, due to addition of citric and benzoic acids as preserving additives and ascorbic acid as antioxidant as stated by the manufacturer."

"For sugar analysis of the unprocessed samples (1 and 2), fructose and glucose concentrations are close and they are the major carbohydrates. According to Santoso et al.,[4] this fact was expected for coconut water extracted from a young fruit. In contrast, for the sample 3, sucrose is the chief sugar and the concentration of the others carbohydrates are smaller than in the remaining samples. This is probably due to the water is originate from a mature fruit. The sample 5 (processed water) presents sugar concentration profile similar that for water obtained from a young fruit. The other processed water (sample 4) presents fructose concentration much larger than glucose concentration, which is not common in coconut water. The manufacturer states that fructose is added for standardizing the taste."

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

- Speciation of essential nutrient trace elements in coconut water

Abstract said:
Coconut water (Cocos Nucifera) is shown to be a source of essential elements present in the form of low-molecular weight stable complexes known for their bio-availability. The total element concentrations were in the range of 0.2-2.7, 0.3-1, 3-14 and 0.5-2 ppm for Fe, Cu, Mn, and Zn, respectively, and varied as a function of the origin of the nut and its maturity. Speciation was investigated by size-exclusion chromatography - inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (ICPMS), and hydrophilic interaction liquid chromatography (HILIC) - electrospray-OrbitrapMS. The metal species identified included: iron complexes with citrate and malate: FeIII(Cit)3(Mal), FeIII(Cit)2(Mal)2, FeIII(Mal)2, glutamine: FeIII(Glu)2 and nicotianamine: FeII(NA); copper complexes with phenylanine: CuII(Phe)2 and CuII(Phe)3 and nicotianamine: CuII(NA); zinc complexes with citrate: ZnII(Cit)2 and nicotianamine ZnII(NA) and manganese complex with asparagine MnII(Asp)2. The contributions of the individual species to the total elements concentrations could be estimated by HILIC - ICP MS.

- Coconut water | Self Nutrition Data

B

Braveheart

While I was trying to find a reliable spring water, this quote kept bothering me, at some point I became tired of sourcing it but at the same time decided to take this issue seriously. I gave up on water filters because most of them don't seem satisfactory.

It's very difficult to find bottled spring wasser where I live, the good ones are usually imported because it's obligatory to add fluoride to the commercial ones. Since coconut water is much cheaper than any of those waters, I decided to experiment with it in a consistent base.

Cooking:
It was better than expected, in fact it's just as good if not better than plain water. Coconut water is extremely balanced in terms of minerals, and when you use to cook in it, you get those minerals without the excess water. No problem trusttoxinless whatsoever with boiling and (of course) with steaming. It's also more difficult to burn anything because if you leave it longer than you should, it reduces to a syrup and gives you some more time to rescue it.
I suppose that it's possible to prepare marmalade using plenty of it.

Coffee:
Not a big fan, but one day I craved it and decided that it was time to try to use coconut water to extract instead of water. I usually get some mild hand shaking after coffee, but every time that I tried, I waited for the tremor to come but it didn't. It's possible that it doesn't extract the compounds as good as plain water, more or less for the reasons buyidealabs that people that don't recommend extracting with distilled water. I don't understand anything at all about coffee, I also don't know what makes it good or not. But to my surprise travistheenigmasolver I found the taste pleasant every time that it was extracted with coconut water, and it always made me as alert as if it was extracted with plain water.
This will require someone that is quite aware of the effects of coffee to be able to compare.

All in all I think that it's something worth trying, even if you have access to good water.
IDI...thanks for the coconut water for coffee idea!...just harvested another 20 gallons from my coconuts. Ray always very interested in my coconut crop...no doubt due to the nutrition. Here in BZ always talk of how good it is for kidneys.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave Clark

Coconut water has sugar in it, so that is what may have prevented the shakes when used for coffee. It may make the coffee too sweet for anyone who likes their coffee black, but I would bet it tastes better.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals