Coconut Oil & Xylitol Toothpaste Recipe?

amd

Looking for a basic toothpaste recipe that includes coconut oil (+ a little MCT for texture), xylitol, maybe salt and/or a few drops of Lugol's iodine as a preservative.

Not interested in baking soda.

Looking for a basic toothpaste recipe that includes coconut oil (+ a little MCT for texture), xylitol, maybe salt and/or a few drops of Lugol's iodine as a preservative.

Not interested in baking soda.
What did you settle on for your homemade toothpaste fico? I gave up toothpaste and just use refined coconut oil.

OP
A

amd

Couldn't mix the xylitol with coconut oil and didn't see any benefits from using xylitol.

Found one toothpaste without typical ingredients, OregaFresh, but it makes my teeth very sensitive (somewhat strong for my gums).

Only issues are trying not to abuse the gums while brushing and oral plaque.

Couldn't mix the xylitol with coconut oil and didn't see any benefits from using xylitol.

Found one toothpaste without typical ingredients, OregaFresh, but it makes my teeth very sensitive (somewhat strong for my gums).

Only issues are trying not to abuse the gums while brushing and oral plaque.
I hear ya! I think straight coconut oil does the trick for cleaning, but I do miss the minty freshness that toothpaste gives :/

Sugartits

I just came back from the dentist and he said I have FIVE cavities that need filled, and that my teeth have "taken a turn". It's like they are suddenly just eroding away! He gave me a fluoride treatment, which I am not thrilled about, but I was in panic mode, and ready to do whatever it takes to solidify my teeth. I admit I have been munching on gummy bears a lot lately, but also brushing my teeth religiously with a bonemeal based tooth powder. I thought that by avoiding fluoride and glycerin in normal toothpaste, I was giving my teeth the best possible chance to re-mineralize like they are supposed to. I am interested in using coconut oil, but I don't think I afford to experiment with my teeth right now.

You know what I am afraid it may be? I had a weight loss surgery (vertical sleeve) about three years ago, and the bariatric center told me I had to eat calcium chews for the rest of my life. Well I don't like the calcium chews, they taste yucky, and I didn't eat them like I was told. I am afraid what is happening in my mouth could be a sign that the same thing is going on in my skeleton! I guess what I really need to do is find out how to absorb as much calcium as I can before my teeth are beyond hope and I start getting fractures. Do I sound like I am kind of freaking out? I guess I am. Ray Peat would probably say freaking out is no good for the cortisol, LOL. Now I will have to trade my gummy bears for disgusting calcium chews.

I just came back from the dentist and he said I have FIVE cavities that need filled, and that my teeth have "taken a turn". It's like they are suddenly just eroding away! He gave me a fluoride treatment, which I am not thrilled about, but I was in panic mode, and ready to do whatever it takes to solidify my teeth. I admit I have been munching on gummy bears a lot lately, but also brushing my teeth religiously with a bonemeal based tooth powder. I thought that by avoiding fluoride and glycerin in normal toothpaste, I was giving my teeth the best possible chance to re-mineralize like they are supposed to. I am interested in using coconut oil, but I don't think I afford to experiment with my teeth right now.

You know what I am afraid it may be? I had a weight loss surgery (vertical sleeve) about three years ago, and the bariatric center told me I had to eat calcium chews for the rest of my life. Well I don't like the calcium chews, they taste yucky, and I didn't eat them like I was told. I am afraid what is happening in my mouth could be a sign that the same thing is going on in my skeleton! I guess what I really need to do is find out how to absorb as much calcium as I can before my teeth are beyond hope and I start getting fractures. Do I sound like I am kind of freaking out? I guess I am. Ray Peat would probably say freaking out is no good for the cortisol, LOL. Now I will have to trade my gummy bears for disgusting calcium chews.
Oh my gosh I would be freaking out too! My worst nightmares are the ones where my teeth are crumbling into pieces and falling out of my mouth. So with your surgery you can't handle milk or cheese?

Sugartits

You have those dreams too? I get them all the time. No wonder I am freaking out - I am manifesting a nightmare! Sheesh. I can have milk and cheese, I am big into nonfat Greek yogurt and milk. I take K2 as well. I thought that would be enough. Don't tell anybody, but I often have "overnight oats" for breakfast. Naughty. Do you think the phytic acid in the oats could be blocking my calcium absorption?

You have those dreams too? I get them all the time. No wonder I am freaking out - I am manifesting a nightmare! Sheesh. I can have milk and cheese, I am big into nonfat Greek yogurt and milk. I take K2 as well. I thought that would be enough. Don't tell anybody, but I often have "overnight oats" for breakfast. Naughty. Do you think the phytic acid in the oats could be blocking my calcium absorption?
Oh my gosh yes you are living OUR nightmare! I KNOW oats are the worst for teeth, worse than wheat! I would just be worried that starting those calcium suppliments may give you stones, like they did me.

Make those evil oats go bye bye ?

Attachments

• 20210608_181711.jpg
    20210608_181711.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 36

Sugartits

Foo. If I must. I am taking a Caltrate right now, the label says it has 111% of copper, that doesn't sound great. Time to research calcium!

Wait, what kind of stones?
I never had stones in my almost 50 years until I cut out dairy for a few years and took calcium suppliments. I had 1 kidney stone, 2 pancreatic stones and one gall stone. When I dropped the calcium suppliments and added back in the dairy I never got them again. During that time my teeth were getting really transparent and I got the 2nd cavity in my life too. I was wheat free, but eating a lot of oats, beans and some brown rice. You couldn't get me to take calcium suppliments again!

OP
A

amd

The issue with organic fermented cocoa powder (phytic acid wise) is that it doesn't dissolve in warm milk.

The organic dutch processed cocoa powder does (has the cocoa bitterness).

@Hans

Tablespoon of cocoa powder = 7.4 grams = 0.3 oz wt

.png

Last edited:

Sugartits

I tried brushing with soap, it was an olive oil based soap, and the brand was called Kiss My Face. My dentist said that my teeth looked good, but my gums looked bad (now they say my gums look good and my teeth look bad, BTW). When I told him I had been brushing with soap, he asked which kind and I said "Kiss My Face". There was a long pause and finally he goes, "... is that the... brand of soap?" LOL! I think I scared him for a moment.

I tried brushing with soap, it was an olive oil based soap, and the brand was called Kiss My Face. My dentist said that my teeth looked good, but my gums looked bad (now they say my gums look good and my teeth look bad, BTW). When I told him I had been brushing with soap, he asked which kind and I said "Kiss My Face". There was a long pause and finally he goes, "... is that the... brand of soap?" LOL! I think I scared him for a moment.
You're so funny!

Luann

That study about glycerin preventing fluoride ions from attaching to the teeth has been debunked time and time again, but people still keep parroting the effects as if it has any basis in reality. I am all for alternate health options than what the mainstream can provide, but often this kind of feels like i am being gas lighted by peoples tireless crusades to prove one of their pet theories.

Whoever mentioned a bonemeal tooth powder, it wasn't that Oral Wellness "Shine"was it? That stuff is rubbish and will not give you any of the benefits of the studies that support the use of nano-hydroxyapatite because their powder isn't nano-hydroxyapatite(that would go for any micronised hydroxyapatite powder in general). The ions are far too large to cause calcium resorption regardless of their claims of remineralisation. I bought over a years supply of the stuff whilst living in Iceland(so at considerable cost) and i saw zero improvement in tooth density and actually developed cavities whilst using it to my dismay. The only two proper nano-hydroxyapatite toothpastes i am aware of is the one that was the basis of a study in Japan called Apagard, and a more recent offering by a Spanish company called Vitis. Anything else claiming to contain nano-hydroxyapatite i would take their claims with a grain of salt as the manufacturing process is expensive. The likelyhood of some little boutique seller or some people on Amazon being able to supply that in its bioactive form is slim to none.

My tooth issues developed immediately after my alcoholism and smoking habit cessation which persisted from a very young age and coincided with my mental health taking a sudden and exponential drop into a pit that continues to today. i found it to be really odd until i understood the reasons why that my teeth would deteriorate more after quitting smoking and drinking rather than during it. Still, a lot of puzzle pieces to fit though, but i have overcame the worst of gum disease(being conscious of zinc, arginine intake and increasing circulation to gum tissue), saw some actual tooth density increase, and healed the majority of a really bad cavity with one of my back molars(vitamin D from sun exposure or one of those reptile lights during the winter,superdosing menatetrenone "MK4" at 45mg a day, using a proper nano-hydroxyapatite toothpaste,a calcium supplement which is in a MHCA matrix, and taking casein protein shakes which contains phosphopeptides with calcium and phosphate in another matrix. That is the only way you are getting calcium into your teeth if you have dental erosion/cavities etc. Not just milk, or dietary dairy, diet in general. They simply facilitate the other elements. They don't provide much in the way of actual reversal of declines in oral health IME). Its took a few years to get here and i doubt i will ever get my super white choppers back(whiteness has not come back at all despite the above improvements) in the state they were about a decade ago, but it wont stop me trying :grin

Here is a list of things i think are bull**** IMO and have did absolutely nothing to improve the state of my oral health

Dr Ellies protocol

Dr Manharts Calcium Therapy

General, mainstream oral health protocol i.e fluoride, avoidance of sugar, flossing with dental floss(made gum disease exponentially worse contrary to dentists recommendations . Do use an oral irrigator though)

Ayurvedic recommendations like oil pulling(know that's pretty popular here, but i pulled for years religiously with coconut, neem, sesame seed oil and saw/had zero improvements from it in regards to oral health. The antibacterial claims seem to be incredibly exaggerated, at least in regards to the oral cavity. Have saw improvements from it in regards to digestion though)

Red Light Therapy(this one really pissed me off because it was incredibly expensive for zero reward lol)

Other than the above protocol of my own i use 20g magnesium chloride in 500ml of water in-between meals as a sort of mouthwash, and will brush with it between meals if i have any food that is likely to adhere to teeth easily e.g chocolate

Apologies if a lot of what i said is unintelligible. I have almost constant brainfog and can hardly think straight the majority of the time. Thoughts tend to be a bit on the scatty side

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals