Coconut Oil Vs Thyroid Supplement

lefthanded

Is it be possible to avoid taking a thyroid supplement if one consumes a certain amount of coconut oil everyday?
I would like to avoid an additional supplement and am already used to eating plain coconut oil (~1 0z/ day).

BastiFuntasty

Is it be possible to avoid taking a thyroid supplement if one consumes a certain amount of coconut oil everyday?
I would like to avoid an additional supplement and am already used to eating plain coconut oil (~1 0z/ day).
You can try it before you start a thyroid supplement. You won't feel short term benefits I suppose, but on the long run it may be the better choice. It's pretty hard to come off thyroid supps once you started.

Do you already have some thyroid labs?

OP
L

lefthanded

No. So far I am using my subjective physical experience. I have been fairly good about eating it everyday for the past several weeks and am willing to eat more.

BastiFuntasty

It would only start using thyroid if all other things don't help you. That will probably take a long time and involves diet and lifestyle changes.

chedd

You can try it before you start a thyroid supplement. You won't feel short term benefits I suppose, but on the long run it may be the better choice. It's pretty hard to come off thyroid supps once you started.

I thought supplementing with thyroid was just like adding in something your body makes naturally. Would it be a bad idea to add thyroid to see if it has a positive effect before getting labs done?

tara

It would only start using thyroid if all other things don't help you.
I agree, unless you have fairly serious hypothyroid labs and temps etc.

I have been fairly good about eating it everyday for the past several weeks and am willing to eat more.
I don't think you need to eat a lot of coconut oil to make the relevant difference in metabolism. Eg of the order of 1 tsp x3 with meals. It's not necessarily the more the better (though some people seem to thrive on larger amounts).

Before trying any thyroid supplement, I'd monitor body temps and heart rate for a few days at least, consider whether there are any hypothyroid symptoms of concern, and assess whether typical daily nutrition is roughly supplying the needs of a healthy metabolism. If nutrition looks as though it wants improving, I'd see if you get improvements from doing that before reassessing temps etc and considering whether thyroid supp is warranted.

I thought supplementing with thyroid was just like adding in something your body makes naturally. Would it be a bad idea to add thyroid to see if it has a positive effect before getting labs done?
I think it can confuse your path if you take more than you need - better to assess your need for it first, and if warranted, start small and increment small and slow (eg 2 weeks+ per increment).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals