coconut oil that tastes like...bacon?

Dean

Maybe I'm getting closer to being ready for the rubber room, but...

I bought some of the Spectrum brand organic refined coconut oil a week or so ago and it has a discernible taste that is reminiscent of bacon...almost like bacon grease. It even has a very faint smell to that similar effect. I've tried it several times to try and convince myself it is my taste buds playing tricks on me, but I still taste it, immediately. I've bought this brand before and other refined coconut oils, and have always found them to be without any taste.

Is there any reasonable, or even somewhat conceivable, reason how this could be? I emailed the company over a week ago and got no reply. So, I'm assuming they think it was a joke or that I have a screw loose. Trying to decide if there is any risk in eating it or if I should take it back to store (no receipt though) or just pitch it (hate to waste the 10 bucks or so).

Jennifer

Dean said:
Maybe I'm getting closer to being ready for the rubber room, but...

I bought some of the Spectrum brand organic refined coconut oil a week or so ago and it has a discernible taste that is reminiscent of bacon...almost like bacon grease. It even has a very faint smell to that similar effect. I've tried it several times to try and convince myself it is my taste buds playing tricks on me, but I still taste it, immediately. I've bought this brand before and other refined coconut oils, and have always found them to be without any taste.

Is there any reasonable, or even somewhat conceivable, reason how this could be? I emailed the company over a week ago and got no reply. So, I'm assuming they think it was a joke or that I have a screw loose. Trying to decide if there is any risk in eating it or if I should take it back to store (no receipt though) or just pitch it (hate to waste the 10 bucks or so).
I use the Spectrum organic refined and I've never gotten a bacon smell from it. I just went and did a sniff test to double check and I got nothing. You probably already checked the date on the cover, but it hasn't expired, right? If you're concerned, I would just bring it back to the store and tell them you think it has gone bad and would like to exchange it. Usually they won't hassle you for not having a receipt if you're just looking to exchange.

OP
D

Dean

I didn't think coconut oil could go bad/rancid?

Jennifer

From what I've read, it can spoil just like any vegetable oil or food. I think it has a shelf life of at least 1.5 - 2 years, though. And refined should last longer than unrefined.

OP
D

Dean

thanks for the info, Jennifer. It's expiration date is 2017, but I don't doubt for a second that a food company would relabel something for the sake of the almighty dollar. I guess I'll bring it back in hopes they'll let me try another jar...maybe I should leave out the "tastes like bacon" part. LOL.

Jennifer

You're welcome! :)

Yeah, if you tell them it tastes like bacon, they may wonder why you'd want to exchange it. LOL

Amazoniac

Pure speculation here but if you constantly crave bacon, the moment that you taste something with a similar texture, it brings up your memory and you start picking similarities. And they exist, very subtle, even in oils that are the extreme opposites.

narouz

So, Dean, I guess you're saying it smelled like bacon
and that was a bad thing?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
narouz said:
So, Dean, I guess you're saying it smelled like bacon
and that was a bad thing?
:lol:

OP
D

Dean

I know, right, bacon. What's the problem? Actually, I'm not nearly as craven in my bacon desires as many, or even most. I have tried it in small amounts, several times over the last week or so. Don't taste it when I use a teaspoon to sauté up some zucchini and onions; but when I add just a bit to my coffee milk or nibble on a bit on its own, it's noticeable.

What can I say, I'm an enigma wrapped in a crisp, slice of bac....wait a minute...

cout12

I've been buying coconut oil for years and one time I got a jar that tasted weird, not like bacon, but it tasted weird. I just threw it away. Only happened once.

nikotrope

I've bought some Nutiva refined coconut oil and got the same feeling as you. It doesn't smell anything particular and if it's used to cook it doesn't add any flavour but the taste when cold feels like bacon.

It always tastes like that, I think it's just what really faint coconut aroma tastes like. If you get it refined it doesn't have the taste so it isn't part of the oil.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals